• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Hey everyone
I've noticed that all the cool bed accessories that I would want to put on a truck aren't compatible with the older trucks. I haven't decided on a truck but I know that I want it to be standard transmission and a gas engine and I want to be able the work on it myself

I'm leaning toward a Chevy Avalanche or Toyota Tundra for the vehicle and a RSI smartcap or a black diamond tonneau cover

Would it possible to modify the truck to accept either of these accessories? I have no problem losing those ugly sails on the Avalanche

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Curious...by standard transmission...do you mean with a shifter and a clutch?

I ask because I believe the avalanche never was available and not sure about the tundra...but if it did it would be very hard to find.

Just curious.
Yes exactly with a shifter & clutch. Right now I'm driving automatic & miss 3 pedals; I also miss having room when I put down my back seats as withe my current Camry when I put down my back seats I get a tiny hole to put 1 or 2 pairs of skis through!

Reactions: TSO_NJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
By the early 2000s most full size trucks got rid if the manual option.

My 99 has the 5 speed and 3 pedals

20160218_191447.jpg only shot of the wonderful manual selector I have on my phone (man I miss that dog)

By 2009 the only RAM to have a manual was behind a Cummins. 2018 was the last hoorah for the manual in a full size truck as RAM dropped it for 2019 even behind the Cummins.

Good luck trying to find the manual and 3 pedals.

I would not trade mine for the world

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Sorry. Did not mean to highjack your thread. I just was curious how you were going to worry about accessories for a vehicle that would not meet your criteria.

Honestly...most universal accessories can work.

I have a bed extender, bed cover and some other things...that although made for a 2013 and newer RAM...work just fine on my 99 03 and 15.

You may have to get creative with some...you may have to make your own mounts.

Obviously places like Facebook market place, EBay and swap meets are where you will find more compatible things for older vehicles.

Many things will even work between manufactures...but may take some tweaking.

Good luck. There is always the motto...it isn't what you buy, it is what you build

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Sorry. Did not mean to highjack your thread. I just was curious how you were going to worry about accessories for a vehicle that would not meet your criteria.

Honestly...most universal accessories can work.

I have a bed extender, bed cover and some other things...that although made for a 2013 and newer RAM...work just fine on my 99 03 and 15.

You may have to get creative with some...you may have to make your own mounts.

Obviously places like Facebook market place, EBay and swap meets are where you will find more compatible things for older vehicles.

Many things will even work between manufactures...but may take some tweaking.

Good luck. There is always the motto...it isn't what you buy, it is what you build
I didn't mean that anyone hijacked any thread no worries & thank you

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The Tundra may or may not have an available standard shift but not likely

The Avalanche - you will likely not ever find a standard shift.

Also with the avalanche, why would you need a tonneau? They come with a 2 piece, locking bed cover, each piece of which can hold 200 pounds on top of it when closed...

The avalanche has many interesting features, and for the first generation at least, they built some on the K2500 platform. I'd love to pick up a nice example of one of those!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Had a 1990 or 1991 Chevy K1500 Cheyenne, single cab, short bed, bench seat. Roll up windows. It had a 305 engine and I believe a 3 speed manual transmission.

Sure wish I had something like that now, but I'm also not complaining about my 6 year old GMC Sierra double cab z71 with heated leather seats, either!