Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

Hey Everyone.
I have a 1998 4Runner, currently pretty stock. I am going to switch out my 15" rims for 16" OG Toyota 3 spoke rims and tires.
I have contacted a shop for a few other mods (bumpers, wench and shox). They suggested a 17" rim instead, as the 16" tires are getting a bit harder to find and they will cost more, since they are not are popular as the 17". Is this true?
Another question is the swing out for the back. One place suggested one full swing out, instead of 2 arms (one swing out for jerry cans and one swing out for the spare). What's the difference?
Would love some feedback, as well if anyone has any suggestions for a good shop that can help. In the east bay.
Thanks in advance!

G & J

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
GregAndJulianna
Last Name
W
Member #

It is true that 17” rims allow for more options in tires. But that said, if you want to run 16s you will still have plenty of options.

As for bumper swing outs, it is more of a personal preference. It you plan on a lot of weight, I would suggest a double swing since you can split the weight between two mounting pins. They see quite a bit of stress when you are bouncing down the trail.

Good luck with your build!

Funner98

Rank III

Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

It is true that 17” rims allow for more options in tires. But that said, if you want to run 16s you will still have plenty of options.

As for bumper swing outs, it is more of a personal preference. It you plan on a lot of weight, I would suggest a double swing since you can split the weight between two mounting pins. They see quite a bit of stress when you are bouncing down the trail.

Good luck with your build!
Thanks G&J. Will be updating here as I go along

G & J

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
GregAndJulianna
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey Everyone.
I have a 1998 4Runner, currently pretty stock. I am going to switch out my 15" rims for 16" OG Toyota 3 spoke rims and tires.
I have contacted a shop for a few other mods (bumpers, wench and shox). They suggested a 17" rim instead, as the 16" tires are getting a bit harder to find and they will cost more, since they are not are popular as the 17". Is this true?
Another question is the swing out for the back. One place suggested one full swing out, instead of 2 arms (one swing out for jerry cans and one swing out for the spare). What's the difference?
Would love some feedback, as well if anyone has any suggestions for a good shop that can help. In the east bay.
Thanks in advance!
I missed the part about a shop.

If you are at all handy with tools, bumpers and shocks are fairly easy—you may need a friend for lifting. The money you save can go into getting tools for the job or better parts.

I have used Top Shop Auto in Lafayette in the past. Cam, their Toyota tech, is excellent.

Best,
Greg

Reactions: Funner98

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

The above comments re 17" sound right to me, I have 17" aftermarket wheels. My only comment here would be to not go any larger than 17"; the more tire sidewall the better your off and on road ride will be.

I have a 5th gen 2018 4Runner so I can't speak to the options a 1998 has for rear bumper as I've never looked...that being said, I had the choice of either dual or single swing out rear bumper. I chose the single swing out.
I did so b/c the gear I wanted to 'hang' off the back configured better on the single swing out. I have my hi-lift mounted horizontally.
While its true a dual swing out would disperse the weight of your gear over 2 pivot points I've had no issue with the single swing/pivot of the C4 rear bumper and I carry and bounce around a lot of weight on mine. I would, in my opinion, worry more about the other end of the bumper opposite the pivot point(s), the latching mechanism. I hear of more dual swing out bumpers having issues being and staying successfully latched.
Enjoy your build and have fun!IMG_4150.jpg

Funner98

Rank III

Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

I’m curious if you have done much overlanding (I asked because you recently joined). I find my stock 4Runner does a pretty good job. The mods are certainly nice, but I don’t think they are all necessary.
Hey there. Not with a ton of experience. Just day trips. I’m getting some information first and see
What I truly need depending. What type of overlanding are you doing?

Funner98

Rank III

Traveler III

Oakland, CA, USA
First Name
Lucia
Last Name
Matioli
Member #

The above comments re 17" sound right to me, I have 17" aftermarket wheels. My only comment here would be to not go any larger than 17"; the more tire sidewall the better your off and on road ride will be.

I have a 5th gen 2018 4Runner so I can't speak to the options a 1998 has for rear bumper as I've never looked...that being said, I had the choice of either dual or single swing out rear bumper. I chose the single swing out.
I did so b/c the gear I wanted to 'hang' off the back configured better on the single swing out. I have my hi-lift mounted horizontally.
While its true a dual swing out would disperse the weight of your gear over 2 pivot points I've had no issue with the single swing/pivot of the C4 rear bumper and I carry and bounce around a lot of weight on mine. I would, in my opinion, worry more about the other end of the bumper opposite the pivot point(s), the latching mechanism. I hear of more dual swing out bumpers having issues being and staying successfully latched.
Enjoy your build and have fun!View attachment 179823
Thanks Andrew

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I’m curious if you have done much overlanding (I asked because you recently joined). I find my stock 4Runner does a pretty good job. The mods are certainly nice, but I don’t think they are all necessary.
I agree, a good set of tires allows most stock 4X4s to go most places a modded 4X4 can go. Ground clearance is key.

Reactions: Tundracamper

awesomezebra

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Swope
Member #

I have a 01 4runner, I bought 17" TRD off road wheels and I run 265/70/17 M/T. I would recommend wheels and tires first before you do anything. then you can start modding the rig but for me, I went with all the stuff that people don't see first like E Locker swap, re gear, diff breather, Tundra Brakes, and maintenance. Then move onto a lift and bumpers and stuff

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Hey there. Not with a ton of experience. Just day trips. I’m getting some information first and see
What I truly need depending. What type of overlanding are you doing?
Mostly overlanding in the southeast. So, mainly forest service roads with some minor challenges. No rock climbing or anything of that nature. Only vehicle mod I have this far, besides a front-facing camera, is all-terrains. I stayed with stock tire size.

Reactions: Funner98