Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Photos follow. The wiring setup for now (temp) is wire-nutted to a pigtail 12V plug. I did this so I could work on antenna options and programming the radio, which is difficult on this model.

The perm wiring setup is awaiting parts I ordered. The wiring for the radio will run to a 6-fuse distribution block, so I can run other accessories from it as well and keep wiring inside the truck under control. The distribution block will terminate on a through-firewall connector. The connector I chose is 3-phase, but only 2 will be used. From the engine compartment side of the through-wall, the heavy-gauge wiring will run directly to the battery terminal on the positive and to the chassis ground on the negative side, so every circuit will effectively be a home run to the battery and the chassis ground.

Firewall pass-through:https://www.delcity.net/.../p_807064.h_807065.t_1.r...

Firewall pass-through:https://www.delcity.net/.../p_807064.h_807065.t_1.r...

The inside negatives will terminate on this buss bar, which is connected to the negative side of the pass-thorugh:https://www.delcity.net/.../100A-6!Way.../p_801497.h_801498

All this is mounted underneath the dashboard in a convenient place.

Here is a diagram:

img011.jpg

And here is the temp connection: Dont use this permanently - any of the connections or the plug can introduce a voltage drop, impairing the operation of the radio.

Temp Connection.jpg

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
My Tundra basically has the same center console/dash as your Sequoia, and my goodness I've been contemplating on mounting location options for my radio for at least 5 months now. I considered your solution before, but felt like it might get in the way of my leg or knee while driving. How's your experience with it so far?

Reactions: Overland Commander

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
My Tundra basically has the same center console/dash as your Sequoia, and my goodness I've been contemplating on mounting location options for my radio for at least 5 months now. I considered your solution before, but felt like it might get in the way of my leg or knee while driving. How's your experience with it so far?
In can touch it with my leg if I tilt to the right, but it doesnt bump under normal conditions. Maybe 1-2" clearance. Its about the only good location in this truck.

Reactions: Andrew A.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
I have been using the rig with excellent results, but I finally got to running the power wire from the battery. The configuration now is an 8 gauge wire supplies power to a 6-gang distribution block. The block will allow me to run other circuits. An additional 8 gauge wire runs from a ground buss bar
to a chassis ground.

I then installed forked terminals on the rigs power wires and connected to the fused distribution block and to the ground buss bar.

I tucked all the wires under the console skirt for appearance. I will put a little black flex conduit on it so they dont show.

Heres the final result before the conduit goes on.

IMG_4976.jpgIMG_4977.jpgIMG_4978.jpg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

:fearscream: This hurts my eyes... lol
The rest looks good. I am installing a Blue Sea fuse block with ground in the rear of my Jeep for radios and a few other things. Much cleaner than running 3 complete radio wiring harnesses to the battery.

ground wire crimp.PNG

Reactions: KonzaLander

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
:fearscream: This hurts my eyes... lol
The rest looks good. I am installing a Blue Sea fuse block with ground in the rear of my Jeep for radios and a few other things. Much cleaner than running 3 complete radio wiring harnesses to the battery.

View attachment 90792
Yes, that one has to be redone. Saturday....