Belleville, IL, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9YQP
I just passed my Technician certification and i'm looking to get setup but i have no experience in portable radio.

I would like to get into HF systems and the experiment with longwire antennas as i travel around. A friend of mine relayed that a properly setup longwire of sufficient length can get excellent range.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations to get started. Right now i am operating out of a 99 4runner with a single battery.

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
No need for a long wire with your Tech lic. You can only transmit voice on 2M and 70cm which don't need a very big antenna. You do have privileges on the other bands for CW (Morse). Is that what you're planning on transmitting?

A 2M mobile rig is very doable. I would recommend using a handheld with a mag mount antenna to start. See what kind of range you're getting (hit the repeaters in your area). A dedicated mobile rig will certainly give you more transmit power, but may not be needed.

Congrats on the new lic. Don't forget to update your sidebar info with your call sign :)

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Quacken

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Belleville, IL, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9YQP
No need for a long wire with your Tech lic. You can only transmit voice on 2M and 70cm which don't need a very big antenna. You do have privileges on the other bands for CW (Morse). Is that what you're planning on transmitting?

A 2M mobile rig is very doable. I would recommend using a handheld with a mag mount antenna to start. See what kind of range you're getting (hit the repeaters in your area). A dedicated mobile rig will certainly give you more transmit power, but may not be needed.

Congrats on the new lic. Don't forget to update your sidebar info with your call sign :)
I haven’t gotten the callsign yet from the FCC, still waiting on it to go through.

For the radio, I’m working towards a general cert as well and id like to buy once if i can for my mobile setup. Any suggestions with that in mind?

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
Have you looked it up? (License Search - Amateur License Search)

I'm not familiar with mobile systems for 10m +. And by mobile I'm referring to car installs. You can certainly build "mobile" systems to move around. Very common for Parks on the Air and Field Day. If you really want a new system most any ICOM or Kenwood radio would be a good start, but there's a lot to choose from and they can get expensive. Putting USAF and Belleville together, I'm assuming you're close to Scott AFB....I'd be surprised if there's not an Amateur Radio Club on base or in the area. Those are a good place to start for good used equipment as well as info. Gigaparts.com has a lot of specials as well as new and used equipment. qrz.com also has a jump start program with them for new techs. I would encourage you to pick up the handy-talkie. It's an easy way to get on air quickly and a great deal. You'll always use/need a hand-held unit.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As a tech and having voice on 10m a long wire is not necessary, however if you are planning ahead to get your general a linked dipole works well or End Fed Half Wave (EFHW) works decent A popular set up for portable opts is a WolfRiver Coil and vertical collapsible antenna (MFJ-1979). However for just 10m (and 20m too) the MFJ-1979 would work by itself.
I made a link dipole for 6/10/15/20/40 and prefer it over an EFHW except for having to get up to change bands.
I am sure a purchase EFHW would work better but my homemade one I just can't get to tune 10m and still have the other bands still acceptable. I run a 40m EFHW and it works on 6/15/20/40 and then I use a 102 whip for 10m.
I also have a fan dipole that I made for 6/15/20/40 and while it works great as a multiband antenna it's not great for portable use due to all the wire elements that have to be strung.