Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Has anyone run the White Rim Trail in winter? We had been thinking of going over our Thanksgiving Vacation this year, but the campsites are long since reserved, so now the thought of doing it over Christmas break has popped in to our brains. Judging by the amount of open campsites on the reservation site, I am assuming its not a popular or smart ideal...lol Just wondering if it's the cold, snow, or Potentially unsafe road conditions that keep people away?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I'd be game into early December, but only weather dependent. If it has been mild down there it would work, but if not, it would be damn cold at night and as Neal says, ice could be a consideration.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I'd be game into early December, but only weather dependent. If it has been mild down there it would work, but if not, it would be damn cold at night and as Neal says, ice could be a consideration.
Not worried about the cold nights, spent a week in the Swell last year in single digit temps in a ground tent. The ice on shelf roads would be the main concern, especially since we will most likely be travelling solo at that time of the year especially at the climb back out at the far end. Guessing we will have to see how the weather trends pan out.

Reactions: zgfiredude

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not worried about the cold nights, spent a week in the Swell last year in single digit temps in a ground tent. The ice on shelf roads would be the main concern, especially since we will most likely be travelling solo at that time of the year especially at the climb back out at the far end. Guessing we will have to see how the weather trends pan out.
We as well in the Swell, 2 years ago early March, near single digit. Listening to rock slides through the night. Doesn’t get much better !!

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We as well in the Swell, 2 years ago early March, near single digit. Listening to rock slides through the night. Doesn’t get much better !!
I know all about the rock slides, Michelle made me pitch the tent behind the great big rock..lol Except for Goblin Valley we were luck to see one other vehicle a day
Camp 2.jpgArial Camp.JPG

Attachments

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’ve been wandering about the same, though for Elk Ridge (Manti La Sal), Canyonlands, and possibly the swell area north of I-70. It seems that the area, at least south of I-70, doesn’t get much snow. The USFS leaves most roads in Manti La Sal open all winter. Still wondering of the area north of 70.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I’ve been wandering about the same, though for Elk Ridge (Manti La Sal), Canyonlands, and possibly the swell area north of I-70. It seems that the area, at least south of I-70, doesn’t get much snow. The USFS leaves most roads in Manti La Sal open all winter. Still wondering of the area north of 70.

That whole area is awesome, we had a blast there last Thanksgiving, looking like we will pass thru there again this Thanksgiving and hopefully have a few days to explore, will have the JK this time instead of the Dually so will open more places to explore, and a RTT instead of a ground tent

Reactions: zgfiredude

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

That whole area is awesome, we had a blast there last Thanksgiving, looking like we will pass thru there again this Thanksgiving and hopefully have a few days to explore, will have the JK this time instead of the Dually so will open more places to explore, and a RTT instead of a ground tent
Yes, I was in that area this past May. Except for being a little warm at the lower elevations, it was great. It seems my travel window this year is better in March, so I’m curious about the winters in that same vicinity. From what I can find, it seems winters are not really a big issue in this area, unlike nearby Colorado.

daklakfoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange County
First Name
Huy
Last Name
Tran
Member #

Just back from White Rim trail couple weeks ago. I can see it may be impassable if rain hard causing mud at Hardscrable or snow/ice for many of the steep hills. Otherwise, once you down at lower elevation, it won't be as difficult.

Definitely plan to be stuck or have way of contact outside world for helps, etc..

Reactions: Charles_a72870

EarthlingJim

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Colorado
First Name
JimShanonn
Last Name
Harpe
Member #

Apparently these are my peeps in here...

We also spend a fair amount of time in that area in the winter. Single digits, no digits... Seasoned winter travelers over that way. We'll be there looking for trails the holiday week this year.

We've also done the last couple of thanksgivings in the swell.

If anyone wants to team up for day trips on the holiday break week, my wife and I will be traveling in the area.

Attachments

Charles_a72870

Rank II

Contributor III

Covington, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Superman06
Service Branch
Army
Just back from White Rim trail couple weeks ago. I can see it may be impassable if rain hard causing mud at Hardscrable or snow/ice for many of the steep hills. Otherwise, once you down at lower elevation, it won't be as difficult.

Definitely plan to be stuck or have way of contact outside world for helps, etc..
My brother was up there said the same thing for the first time he needed his backup winch main overheated

Reactions: daklakfoto

daklakfoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange County
First Name
Huy
Last Name
Tran
Member #

Yeah we did not stuck in sliding mud but just crawl in 1st and rear lock on many hills. It was definitely fun and adventure.

Love the scenery and will come back for more.

Charles_a72870

Rank II

Contributor III

Covington, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Superman06
Service Branch
Army
Yeah he said they woke up to a blocked trail and had to roll out in 4 low but his 3 friends where in rangers all had to be winches though lol invested in lockers today when he told me about this. Don't think I'll be about to take on moab always been a dream to ride though hells gate but the f150 can't handle that