Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
As it says, with a slight detour down to Petrified National Park for a few nights of backpacking. The only
"etched in stone" dates are our reservations on the WRT for 3 nights, then 4 nights down in the Needles, which, not by chance are our first two destinations. It's going to be especially cool because we are exposing our daughters family to overland camping. They will be with us on the WRT and in the Needles. I hope that she, her husband and our two grandsons catch the bug as much as we have... Below is a photo of our planning tools.. The list is mileages as found on google maps from point to point . Totaling 7,768 miles rounded up to 8,000 miles @ $2.50 a gallon for petro. We have acquired maps for nearly every area except the coast from the Redwoods and north, but we do have a map of the Olympic NP. This time out we are accommodating our kids and their time off for spring break, with 100" plus of snow pack we will miss out on a lot of the higher elevation wonders of the west, so we'll be spending a lot of time in the Staircase and in the San Rafael Swell, then on to Great Basin NP, then over to Ca working our way out to the coast after visiting family.. Buttoning up some oil leaks on the rig this coming week, then we are ready to roll.... If ya see us, wave and honk, if ya stumble upon us at camp. c'mon in for a drink and a meal !!

Here is our planning packet !!
IMG_3208.JPG

Reactions: Cavo

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Awesome trip!! I hope to be doing something very similar this Summer

Be safe, have fun and may everything go as planned

Cheers

Reactions: MOAK

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
That sounds like a pretty rad trip! We're out on the coast in Santa Cruz but it looks like you won't be headed that way. What time will you be in Utah? We're going beginning of May.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
WRT - April 9-10-11, Horsehoof - 13-14-15-16. The only downfall to going at this time is the Easter Jeep Safari. Moab, in town and the BLM trails will be a complete zoo. We should be ok on the WRT and Horsehoof is very remote. We, been there late April/early May and that is a great time of year to be there. Someday I wanna make out for Cruise Moab.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Ha, you'll just have to pass thru the madness in Moab between WRT and Needles. You must be doing some good hikes/canyoneering when at Horsehoof. I can't wait til my kids are older so we can really explore on foot like that. Let me know if you do Bobbys Hole. Ive never done it but it seems to be the crux of the Moab to Mex Hat route if you take the E Hill route.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Lots of day hiking and an overnighter backpacking. Bobby's Hole depends on the weather. We always check with the local guys to see if it is passable. Here's a short vid of us exiting Bobby's Hole with trailer in tow. My son is in the stock 80 series, no lockers, so the Hill is not all that Impossible, thanks to a bit of maintenance done by local volunteers from different clubs. And yes, Mexican Hat is our destination for a room and a hot shower. We reserved the room with the inlaid stone shower.. cool...

Reactions: shoredreamer