Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

We are in the middle of planning and wanting to get a count of those that would like to do an easier trail run on Saturday vs. a more challenging one. Please leave a comment here if you have not already made your desires known.

Last edited:

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

My sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, a moderate trail. Happy to run an easier trail, especially if it leads to some awesome views. But might also be interested in trying a more challenging trail with the group, depending on what we're talking about. (My only experience is with a stock Rubicon so far, and I'm getting some minor upgrades installed next week.)

Will we be running trails both Fri and Sat?

Reactions: Aeroscout

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

My sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, a moderate trail. Happy to run an easier trail, especially if it leads to some awesome views. But might also be interested in trying a more challenging trail with the group, depending on what we're talking about. (My only experience is with a stock Rubicon so far, and I'm getting some minor upgrades installed next week.)

Will we be running trails both Fri and Sat?
Cool! We can talk more about the trails and skill levels required once we settle on the various runs.

For those of us arriving on Thursday there will be plenty of time to do a run or two on Friday. When do you plan on arriving?

Reactions: digitalhobbit

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Cool! We can talk more about the trails and skill levels required once we settle on the various runs.

For those of us arriving on Thursday there will be plenty of time to do a run or two on Friday. When do you plan on arriving?
Sounds great!

I'm planning to drive the Rimrocker Trail on Wednesday + Thursday and get to Moab by Thursday evening. So definitely interested in doing a run on Friday.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Sounds great!

I'm planning to drive the Rimrocker Trail on Wednesday + Thursday and get to Moab by Thursday evening. So definitely interested in doing a run on Friday.
Some are discussing the Rimrocker for the return route. Would you be interested in that instead?

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Some are discussing the Rimrocker for the return route. Would you be interested in that instead?
I might be - definitely keep me updated on those plans.

But the other option aligns more with my schedule. I'm planning a 11 day or so trip and was planning to hit up the San Juan Mountains area and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison the week before the Moab weekend. I do still have some flexibility in the schedule and will play around with the dates to see if I can switch that portion of the trip to after the Moab weekend, in case others are planning to do the Rimrocker Trail then.

Reactions: Aeroscout

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Just a quick update that I did indeed shuffle things around and am now planning to run the Rimrocker Trail on the way back from Moab. Anyone else planning to join up?

In any case, looking forward to seeing you all in Moab in a couple weeks!

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Just checking in on this event, now that it's only 10 days out (and I'm going to be mostly off the grid the week before, driving through Colorado and Utah). Do you already know the rally point or where we're going to camp?

In case of any other planning discussions leading up to the event, I'll do my best to respond whenever I have Internet, but please expect delayed responses. I'll definitely be there on time, though!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Just checking in on this event, now that it's only 10 days out (and I'm going to be mostly off the grid the week before, driving through Colorado and Utah). Do you already know the rally point or where we're going to camp?

In case of any other planning discussions leading up to the event, I'll do my best to respond whenever I have Internet, but please expect delayed responses. I'll definitely be there on time, though!
Know that there is a lot of planning discussion going on that's not visible here. Please don't think you're being ignored or forgotten about.

We appreciate your participation and look forward to meeting you.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Intend to arrive Thursday afternoon along side @Dave Purvis , would be down for a short run on the way in or when we get to camp, def up for fri, sat and sun runs

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Do you have access to any off grid communications, zoleo garmin etc ? If you'd like send me a pm with your contact info including cell number and once I have more details I'll do my best to pass it along. As I understand we should hopefully be expecting to hear more details come this Friday or Saturday

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Thanks for the updates! I really appreciate all the effort that's going into planning this trip, and I hope I didn't come across as nagging. That's just the excitement speaking. :)

@Iridium: Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you my contact info later. I do have a Garmin InReach. But I should definitely have Internet access in between and be able to check any updates on this thread then. I just might not be able to respond on the forum quickly in case questions come up.

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Thanks for the updates! I really appreciate all the effort that's going into planning this trip, and I hope I didn't come across as nagging. That's just the excitement speaking. :)

@Iridium: Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you my contact info later. I do have a Garmin InReach. But I should definitely have Internet access in between and be able to check any updates on this thread then. I just might not be able to respond on the forum quickly in case questions come up.

Not at all! I totally get it, off grid comms are useful also just to make sure we can keep in touch if for whatever reason one of us doesn't have service, probably less of an issue out in Utah compared to here

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Easy Run Group:
( @Neal A. Tew @Charles Drives Things @digitalhobbit ?)

Proposed Friday Run:
Willow Springs, Salt Valley, Tower Arch, Eye of the Whale, exit through Arches NP

Proposed Saturday Run:
Shafer, White Rim, Lathrop Canyon, back track to Potash Rd

These routes are largely in Arches and Canyonlands NP. This will require a park pass. Your best option at this late date for an annual pass is probably a visit to REI. I would call first. A combined SE UT pass is available here: Canyonlands National Park Site Pass in Utah - Recreation.gov

ALSO, the Saturday's run to Lathrop will traverse part of the famous White Rim Trail. This requires a day use permit. We need to be online at 8 AM Friday to acquire said pass because the numbers are limited. The option is WHITE RIM ROAD - VEHICLE

digitalhobbit

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

Easy Run Group:
( @Neal A. Tew @Charles Drives Things @digitalhobbit ?)

Proposed Friday Run:
Willow Springs, Salt Valley, Tower Arch, Eye of the Whale, exit through Arches NP

Proposed Saturday Run:
Shafer, White Rim, Lathrop Canyon, back track to Potash Rd

These routes are largely in Arches and Canyonlands NP. This will require a park pass. Your best option at this late date for an annual pass is probably a visit to REI. I would call first. A combined SE UT pass is available here: Canyonlands National Park Site Pass in Utah - Recreation.gov

ALSO, the Saturday's run to Lathrop will traverse part of the famous White Rim Trail. This requires a day use permit. We need to be online at 8 AM Friday to acquire said pass because the numbers are limited. The option is WHITE RIM ROAD - VEHICLE
Those sound great, thanks Neal!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew