Launch Member

Traveler I

Moses Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Birdsell
Member #

After a little local info from an awesome park ranger at Arches. We had planned to run the shafer switchbacks down to are camp then back out the next day. The park ranger had us take a much more direct, scenic and off-road route. The route is suitable for anything with 4wd and decent tires. The route taken from arches national park. Hwy 191 to 279 to potash RD then follow that into canyon lands then follow to shafers switchbacks to exit the road near the park entrance! If you have time look up musselman arch. A small detour on the white rim road takes you to the parking area to a small and very low key area with an arch.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Potash Rd is a fun drive. Link it to Long Canyon and Shaffer Switchbacks for a great day! I would recommend going DOWN Long Canyon unless your rig is modified. Theres a few "steps" at the top that can be difficult and dug out at times.

PNW_Tundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moses Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Birdsell
Member #

Where is long canyon located? The plan is to run the whole white rim road once I've got rid of these Michelin LTX A/T2 for something more aggressive.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Long Canyon is passable in a stock Jeep Cherokee.

Up Long Canyon, down Shafer and out Potash is a nice drive.

Long Canyon is on 279 which leads into Potash Road basically.

Attachments

Reactions: Rujack

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Did this section along with the entire White Rim Trail this last summer. Stayed in the same Shafer campground as you. Life changing!

First pic from Shafer Campground. Second from Potash Road near Thelma and Louise location

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road / Colorado Springs, CO