Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Yes, Schafer is the attraction. Potash is just the route to/from. Oh, and War Eagle, BTW. ;)

Here's a photo I took recently from just above Schafer:

View attachment 195570
RTR! I told the wife this was about a 3 hour drive. She seemed less than enthusiastic- until I told her about Thelma & Louise Point. Now, she’s considering it.

• Haha
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
RTR! I told the wife this was about a 3 hour drive. She seemed less than enthusiastic- until I told her about Thelma & Louise Point. Now, she’s considering it.
Hey, whatever it takes! Kudos!

BTW, I never made it to Auburn but much of my family did. I grew up in Dothan and was last in Montgomery before succumbing to the beckonings of Colorado and the Rocky Mountains in 2005.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You could make a really neat loop with Long Canyon and then Schafer / Potash Rd. Not sure if it would meet your time constraints, but those are pretty quick routes. We could look at Trailsoffroad.com and see how long they put it at.
Turned out to be an awesome recommendation. Wife thought it was too rough, but I loved Potash-Shafer. Thelma & Louise Point was worth the stop as well. We are now headed to Bryce and Zion hoping we don’t get squeezed out by all the crowds.

8F59B1F1-92CC-468F-8296-AD8EA6C1EA91.jpeg

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Turned out to be an awesome recommendation. Wife thought it was too rough, but I loved Potash-Shafer. Thelma & Louise Point was worth the stop as well. We are now headed to Bryce and Zion hoping we don’t get squeezed out by all the crowds.

View attachment 197900
Awesome!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

View attachment 197900[/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed it! Did you air down much?

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

View attachment 197900
Glad you enjoyed it! Did you air down much?
[/QUOTE]

Funny you should ask. After we went thru the first three sets of washboarding, I knew I really had no choice but to air down. Checked the tires and they were way overinflated - forgot to account for altitude change. Aired down to about 20 psi. Could have probably gone lower, but this worked OK. Really glad I decided to throw the compressor in the car at the last minute. Of course, had to add about 3 psi to the suggested pressure to get the TPM light to go out. Never thought about the differences due to altitude and weather.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Well, it’s official. I think southern Utah may just be one of the prettiest places on the planet. After driving through the five Nat Patks and Byway 12, we were blown away by all the scenery. Not much water, but such a diversity in landscapes around every corner. I definitely want to take off a couple weeks and do more off roading and dispersed camping - now if I can just find the time.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Well, it’s official. I think southern Utah may just be one of the prettiest places on the planet. After driving through the five Nat Patks and Byway 12, we were blown away by all the scenery. Not much water, but such a diversity in landscapes around every corner. I definitely want to take off a couple weeks and do more off roading and dispersed camping - now if I can just find the time.
I totally agree.
Utah is amazing!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we just got back from there a couple weeks ago. pretty amazing!
we camped at horse thief campground in canyonland and drove all over. the arches was closed at 10am due to being full, but we went back around 6pm and it was perfect...few people, temp was cooler and the sun setting on the arches was pretty cool. we boondocked just outside of escalante and it was pretty full of people, but plenty of space between everyone...really nice. also had some nice boondocking just outside of bryce nat'l park. its a 2 day drive from my house, but totally worth it

IMG_8691 (1).jpg