Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Planning 5 days in Moab area, never been there before I was wondering if anyone could make trail suggestions, must sees for the area?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Planning 5 days in Moab area, never been there before I was wondering if anyone could make trail suggestions, must sees for the area?
First, what time of year and where do you plan to stay? How much of a trail challenge are you up for?

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

First, what time of year and where do you plan to stay? How much of a trail challenge are you up for?
Middle of April and I am up for moderate trails but would like to majority of easy/moderate no difficult. Plan to camp in the truck camper.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
April will be nice (except maybe for crowds). Let me know if you need any camping suggestions.

For the Canyonlands side, one suggestion would be to make some sort of loop combining Potash Rd to Schafer Trail and back on Gemini Bridges or Long Canyon. Or the other way around....

For Arches, you could go out Salt Valley Rd to Tower Arch and back on Eye of the Whale. You'll be there at Willow Springs Rd. It's a back door to Arches where a lot of folks camp. Lately we've been camping on the next road to the north, Dalton Wells Rd.

The run over Hurrah Pass and out to Chicken Corners is fun, but makes for a long day.

Also, TrailsOffroad.com is a great resource for these trails.

• Love

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I recommend Charles Wells books on Moab.
I still have mine from about 20 years ago before they were spiral bound. Many of the pages are falling out, but I got a lot of use out of it back then.

Reactions: jazzy13

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

We visited Moab for the first time this past year (Summer 2020). I put my wife into a Barlow Adventures offroad driving course. Nadi was an excellent instructor. You can contact him directly here: 4x4guide.com We learned everything we needed to know about driving trails in that area. We went from being nervous on what we thought were harder trails to being confident on what was actually harder trails (those other trails were very easy.) The group rate cost was about $325 for both of us ($250 for the driver and $75 for the passenger). I highly recommend that you get with Nadi on day 1.

Also, purchase the Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book. You can get it on Amazon or at any adventure shop in Moab. When you are on trails that interest with a bunch of other trails, it is easy to get confused. This book will keep you on the trail and guide you back to civilization. Get Gaia Maps too (GaiaGPS.com). Learn how to use it before you get there.

I hope this helps.

-B

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I recommend for a slick rock starter trail, Fin and Things. It is pretty safe but will induce pucker factor in flatlanders. If you get though this, I might try Hell's Revenge if you want some more adrenaline rush.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

We visited Moab for the first time this past year (Summer 2020). I put my wife into a Barlow Adventures offroad driving course. Nadi was an excellent instructor. You can contact him directly here: 4x4guide.com We learned everything we needed to know about driving trails in that area. We went from being nervous on what we thought were harder trails to being confident on what was actually harder trails (those other trails were very easy.) The group rate cost was about $325 for both of us ($250 for the driver and $75 for the passenger). I highly recommend that you get with Nadi on day 1.

Also, purchase the Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book. You can get it on Amazon or at any adventure shop in Moab. When you are on trails that interest with a bunch of other trails, it is easy to get confused. This book will keep you on the trail and guide you back to civilization. Get Gaia Maps too (GaiaGPS.com). Learn how to use it before you get there.

I hope this helps.

-B
Thank you for the info I am not against training but not seeking it at this time. I have already purchased local Moab (North, South), Canyonlands, Arches NP and UT backroads trail book. I also have a few GPS apps that I use for navigation. I am primarily looking for suggestions on trails since you can only gleam so much from books.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I recommend for a slick rock starter trail, Fin and Things. It is pretty safe but will induce pucker factor in flatlanders. If you get though this, I might try Hell's Revenge if you want some more adrenaline rush.
Since this is a trip with significant other I will skip trails that have too much pucker factor!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Since this is a trip with significant other I will skip trails that have too much pucker factor!

But if you take a significant other you'll have to change your name!

2derer

Reactions: 1derer and Mrprez

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thank you for the info I am not against training but not seeking it at this time. I have already purchased local Moab (North, South), Canyonlands, Arches NP and UT backroads trail book. I also have a few GPS apps that I use for navigation. I am primarily looking for suggestions on trails since you can only gleam so much from books.
We did Chicken Corners, Dome Plateau and Cameo Cliffs prior to taking the class. Barlow suggested these trails, they are all pretty good. Most take 4 to 5 hours.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Are there any easy trails that make a loop with a main road? Wife is going with me in a few weeks and she said I could do a couple of hours of off-roading, which really means gravel roads. I won’t have any recovery gear as this will be part of a longer trip. Any suggestions? The above sound interesting, but I think 4 hours will be too long.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Are there any easy trails that make a loop with a main road? Wife is going with me in a few weeks and she said I could do a couple of hours of off-roading, which really means gravel roads. I won’t have any recovery gear as this will be part of a longer trip. Any suggestions? The above sound interesting, but I think 4 hours will be too long.
Check out Willow Springs Rd. it will take you directly into Arches NP super easy and neat place to see dino prints along the way.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
You could make a really neat loop with Long Canyon and then Schafer / Potash Rd. Not sure if it would meet your time constraints, but those are pretty quick routes. We could look at Trailsoffroad.com and see how long they put it at.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You could make a really neat loop with Long Canyon and then Schafer / Potash Rd. Not sure if it would meet your time constraints, but those are pretty quick routes. We could look at Trailsoffroad.com and see how long they put it at.
Thanks. I actually subscribed to TO yesterday and recall downloading Potash Rd among others. I’ll have to look for the others. Mineral Bottom road looks neat, but that may take too long. Sure is easy to import those tracks into GaiaGPS now. Thanks again for suggestions.

...So, while I was standing here, I checked out Shafer Trail on TO. That looks more fun than Potash and would be a neat end to that route. Not sure how I missed that. Already imported!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks. I actually subscribed to TO yesterday and recall downloading Potash Rd among others. I’ll have to look for the others. Mineral Bottom road looks neat, but that may take too long. Sure is easy to import those tracks into GaiaGPS now. Thanks again for suggestions.

...So, while I was standing here, I checked out Shafer Trail on TO. That looks more fun than Potash and would be a neat end to that route. Not sure how I missed that. Already imported!
Yes, Schafer is the attraction. Potash is just the route to/from. Oh, and War Eagle, BTW. ;)

Here's a photo I took recently from just above Schafer:

1618880250039.png

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Yep!
Canyonlands - Mesa Arch - It's only a 1/4-mile hike there - World Renowned Arch - A must-see Arch - Get there early! It's already crowded before sunrise to vie for the best position for the awesome morning shot.
Arches - Delicate Arch - The other world-famous arch - It's on the Utah License Plate - A much longer hike to get to, but totally worth it.
Other than that, get the map/guide from the gate and start choosing based upon your ability and time available.
Best of luck - no matter where you go or what you see, you'll not have enough time, so enjoy what you do see - I've been multiple times and still need much, much more time there!