Minimum Mechanical Skill

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

All have great advice, I would also add, hang out with others that have similar rigs as yours. You will learn the issues that have arose on thier rigs as they drive them. And how they diagnose and fix the problems. Forums are great but working along side someone wether it is your rig or thiers is a great learning experiance. I can't tell you how many time I have learn from my mistakes or a buddies. Where the next time around it became so easy. And it's pretty fun too. I usually run trails with others, but I the more I wheel and explore the more I want to go by myself at times. With a 20+ year old vehicle I do everything possible to check the rig over before leaving for the trail every time. I also have a lot of spare parts that I bring along in hopes I never will need them at least not for my rig.

There is also a unwritten code. While your out exploring the trails. That if your along side the road maybe working on it in some way or just checking it out. Others almost always will stop and make sure your ok. After wheeling the whole weekend in the Alpine loop area. My muffler hanger broke and so did my whole exhaust system. While I was wiring up my tail pipe every group that passed by stopped to make sure I didn't need a hand.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@5G 4RNR
Thanks for the info. I checked out the Helm site and it seems they only offer Service Manuals to dealerships. Any advice on a workaround?
Based on your handle you may be in for a shock as the parts guy at the dealership told me that for the 5th gen 4runner only electronic subscriptions are available. Make friends with the someone in the parts / service department as they have been very helpful in my search.

I'll let you know if/when I get mine for the '06. Till that time here is the list of sites that I search daily looking for my set, Most are search links so you'll need to modify to meet your year and model:
Long shots:

Be aware that lots of these seem to be different front ends to the same 3-4 sellers. (IE Summit racing sells for Bishko, both Bishko and Helm seem to sell on Amazon and eBay...)
Also I found lots of places that were trying to pass off 3rd party books or the owners manual as the "Factory Repair Manual" or "Service Manual"IE: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Toyota-2015-4runner-4083549.html

Boort

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Hey, Everyone, thank you for all the excellent guidance and advice. I'm sure I'll be looking back at this thread for a long time mapping out the next steps of my journey. I truly appreciate all the shared wisdom!

Based on where I'm starting (novice), my vehicle (2018 4Runner), and the types of driving I'll likely be doing in the near future (fire road and moderate 2-track), I plan to do the following:

• Online Class: I signed up for "Automotive 101: A Beginners Guide To Automotive Repair" on Udemy.com. It's a 2.5 hour class and only cost $14 on sale, so it's an easy place to start.
  • RTFM: I'm going to crawl all over my 4Runner this weekend with the owner's manual(s) in hand and read them cover to cover...maybe even twice. I'll also try to find a DIY manual that covers the basics.
  • Tools: Also this weekend, I'll inventory my tools (both at home and in the car) to make sure I can cover at least the basic needs.
  • Simple Mods: Anything that's not covered by the free maintenance from Toyota I will try, with appropriate help from experts.
  • Community: I'll connect with some locals. I'm taking an off-road recovery class in October and doing a trail run in November, so have a couple opportunities to connect with folks nearby.

After that, I'll let experience and need guide where I go.

Thanks again for all the help!

Bill

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

Hey, Everyone, thank you for all the excellent guidance and advice. I'm sure I'll be looking back at this thread for a long time mapping out the next steps of my journey. I truly appreciate all the shared wisdom!

Based on where I'm starting (novice), my vehicle (2018 4Runner), and the types of driving I'll likely be doing in the near future (fire road and moderate 2-track), I plan to do the following:

• Online Class: I signed up for "Automotive 101: A Beginners Guide To Automotive Repair" on Udemy.com. It's a 2.5 hour class and only cost $14 on sale, so it's an easy place to start.
  • RTFM: I'm going to crawl all over my 4Runner this weekend with the owner's manual(s) in hand and read them cover to cover...maybe even twice. I'll also try to find a DIY manual that covers the basics.
  • Tools: Also this weekend, I'll inventory my tools (both at home and in the car) to make sure I can cover at least the basic needs.
  • Simple Mods: Anything that's not covered by the free maintenance from Toyota I will try, with appropriate help from experts.
  • Community: I'll connect with some locals. I'm taking an off-road recovery class in October and doing a trail run in November, so have a couple opportunities to connect with folks nearby.

Bill
Bill good luck with everything. I will try and scrounge up some of my digital books for maintenance. Even if most of it doesn’t apply I’m sure some of the wiring diagrams and how to change this or that will help somewhere along the way

Reactions: RangerBill

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay

Bill

Great approach, Bill! Best of luck on the journey. The online class is a GREAT idea, I never thought of that. You might also find your local college has in-person classes that are a bit more intensive.

In terms of tools, I tend to buy the best I can afford right out the gate, but others have recommended the Harbour Freight method where you buy the tool you need for cheap. If it breaks, replace it with a higher quality tool; the reasoning is if you are using it enough to break it, it's worth getting something decent. Personally I'm too poor to buy cheap tools for most everyday jobs, but everyone has a different budget and approach.

I've had excellent luck with Kobalt, which is Lowe's House brand, as they go on-sale often and are a decent quality.

I've also been told that J.H. Williams tools are Snap-On's line of industrial tools and are of very high quality for the price. These tools are available on Amazon.

I personally would avoid Craftsman tools for now given they have been licensed as a brand and the quality of modern Craftsman is TBD. Often folks who are just starting out may flock to Craftsman because it's what their Dad used, but Sears allowed the marque to slip quite a bit in recent years. I see they are now also available at Lowes but I have no idea if they are any good or not. I also have no idea if old Craftsman will be covered with the old-school warranty or not given the changes

Used tools are always an option as you can often find deals at garage sales and eBay of high quality brands with good warranties.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@RangerBill

Bill
You might want to see if you can get in touch with Tim and Sean from (https://www.youtube.com/user/mtbtim65) The Youtube channel mostly covers 3rd gen 4runners but Lately they have been branching out. ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPMpPriBUyJBkChcQdctIo11q2g_UsdR_ ) I've seen they put out an invite to viewers to come over to a bbq potluck which will help with your meet the community goals.

Boort

Last edited:

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Bill
Thought of you yesterday and you mentioning "crawling all over my 4runner" reminded me.

Saw a 4runner on Pinterest. Everything was black - everything. It was tricked out to the point it looked like it would survive the apocalypse! With all the mods it looked more like an armored assault vehicle; had to look hard to see the 4runner in there.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Bill
Bill this is a great approach. Udemy classes are really useful. Also, a basic understanding of how engines and basic vehicle components work is really helpful to working on a vehicle intelligently, even if you've never done that particular thing before. So, if you have something that you just don't feel like you understand about vehicles, doing some super basic theoretical learning about that will help you A LOT.

Tools: You don't need much. For the 4runner, the following is pretty much all you need to do just about everything on the vehicle that you'd mess with.
6mm-21mm metric socket set (you want to keep it more minimal, for super basic stuff, just do 10mm-17mm, that covers the majority of the bolts on a 4runner) (there's a few cases where larger sizes are needed, but those are very specific, not regular maintenance items)
3/8"drive ratchet
couple of extensions
wobble/swivel ratchet extension
24" piece of 1" iron pipe (cheap breaker bar)
2 adjustable wrench (large and small)
needlenose, regular, and channel-lock pliers
1 medium size phillips head, and 1 medium flat head screwdriver
2 jack stands
2 wheel chocks (anytime you jack up the front or rear only, have the opposite wheels chocked. Anytime you jack something up, put a stand underneath as well)

Biggest upgrades from stock tools you can make is an actual 4-way lug wrench (way easier to use than the lug wrench with the vehicle), and a $60 jack from harbor freight.

Mods: take it slow. If you've never messed with a vehicle before, you'll go through the phases we've all gone through. The "painting stuff" phase, "stickers" phase, "random cheap add-ons" phase and the "extreme, non-reversible mods" phase. Possibly the "loud exhaust" phase too. (I actually still love that one, my V6 just isn't worth making loud). And the all-famous plasti-dip phase. Admittedly, I've accepted the painting and non-reversible phases as permanent fixtures for me, but that's still after a lot of mistakes I've made with previous vehicles. I call those things phases, because I think a lot of us over time, regretted some of those things we did that fall in those categories. So. Just be aware that because something seems like an awesome idea today, doesn't mean it will be something you're glad you did in a year. Just take it slow, simple and practical for now, and be aware that when modding a vehicle, you'll end up doing things you later learn weren't the best decision. That's ok, and not necessarily a reason to not try something. I feel like I've learned some of my greatest lessons on cars just messing around doing stupid mods that meant nothing or that I even regretted a month later. Its just a car. But this perspective helps when considering a mod that would RUIN your week/month if you messed it up, or if you ended up hating it.

If any of this is completely unnecessary for you I apologize! I don't really know your context for "messing with cars". But if I didn't know anything about vehicles and was starting down this road now versus 15 years ago, I feel like these are the things I would want to be told, knowing what I've learned over the past years of playing with cars. Hope this is really a fun, enjoyable process for you!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Reading through this thread, I have to agree with everyone's comments and good job finding the online class. I just want to add a little bit.

I've been teaching automotive to adults for 15 years. This is my "semi retirement" one could say (spent 30 years with GM).
My students range from 18-30 years old on the average. Their experience ranges from finishing a mechanical engineering degree to not knowing the difference in screw drivers. I'll list a few common things I see.

Learn how to use a torque wrench and get a good one. Ive seen "professionals" over torque things. This causes stress on the threads and can be dangerous.

Factory shop manual if possible. The aftermarket manual companies have to purchase the info and the manufacture's don't want them to have it. My 04 TJ, shop manual takes up about 12" in my book case. Its two main books and 5 supplements. The haynes, chilten, michell are about an inch thick and cover cherokee too. The new ones are pretty much digital now and difficult to get.

Take a basic brake class. When Im teaching a brake class, I average 3 seized calipers a week . Some have been serviced at shop's recently by "Professionals" (again). Something I tell my class's, You need to be licensed to cut hair, you don't need to be licensed to do brakes. Bad brakes kill people, bad hair just pisses them off.

Read labels. For example go to an auto part store and read a brake fluid bottle. See what the fluid manufacture says about changing brake fluid. Research coolants, oils, belts. When you have to change and more important why.

For the fun stuff get a mig welder and a good grinder. Look at things and see what you can do (just don't build anything safety related).

I'm sure if I sat down long enough I could list a few more. Learning this stuff is fun especially if you can apply it to a hobby. Never be afraid to ask questions.

Scott

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Mods: take it slow. If you've never messed with a vehicle before, you'll go through the phases we've all gone through. The "painting stuff" phase, "stickers" phase, "random cheap add-ons" phase and the "extreme, non-reversible mods" phase. Possibly the "loud exhaust" phase too. (I actually still love that one, my V6 just isn't worth making loud). And the all-famous plasti-dip phase. Admittedly, I've accepted the painting and non-reversible phases as permanent fixtures for me, but that's still after a lot of mistakes I've made with previous vehicles. I call those things phases, because I think a lot of us over time, regretted some of those things we did that fall in those categories. So. Just be aware that because something seems like an awesome idea today, doesn't mean it will be something you're glad you did in a year. Just take it slow, simple and practical for now, and be aware that when modding a vehicle, you'll end up doing things you later learn weren't the best decision. That's ok, and not necessarily a reason to not try something. I feel like I've learned some of my greatest lessons on cars just messing around doing stupid mods that meant nothing or that I even regretted a month later. Its just a car. But this perspective helps when considering a mod that would RUIN your week/month if you messed it up, or if you ended up hating it.
@bencleveland, there's some real wisdom in your words. In almost every undertaking I see the same progression. In fly fishing it's:
  1. I want to catch A fish
  2. I want to catch ALL the fish
  3. I want to catch only big fish
  4. I just want to fishing
Maybe it's the unavoidable path to mastery, where in the end you carry just the minimum essential gear and rely on skill and experience to get you through. I'll get there someday.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Great approach, Bill! Best of luck on the journey. The online class is a GREAT idea, I never thought of that. You might also find your local college has in-person classes that are a bit more intensive.

In terms of tools, I tend to buy the best I can afford right out the gate, but others have recommended the Harbour Freight method where you buy the tool you need for cheap. If it breaks, replace it with a higher quality tool; the reasoning is if you are using it enough to break it, it's worth getting something decent. Personally I'm too poor to buy cheap tools for most everyday jobs, but everyone has a different budget and approach.

I've had excellent luck with Kobalt, which is Lowe's House brand, as they go on-sale often and are a decent quality.

I've also been told that J.H. Williams tools are Snap-On's line of industrial tools and are of very high quality for the price. These tools are available on Amazon.

I personally would avoid Craftsman tools for now given they have been licensed as a brand and the quality of modern Craftsman is TBD. Often folks who are just starting out may flock to Craftsman because it's what their Dad used, but Sears allowed the marque to slip quite a bit in recent years. I see they are now also available at Lowes but I have no idea if they are any good or not. I also have no idea if old Craftsman will be covered with the old-school warranty or not given the changes

Used tools are always an option as you can often find deals at garage sales and eBay of high quality brands with good warranties.
@IronJackWhitton, thanks for the tips. I am definitely of the "only Craftsman" generation. I'll check out some of the other options. Pawn shops are another good place to look for used tools.

SoCalFJZ80

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntington Beach
Member #

Start with doing your own maintenance, if you need to at first find a friend with more experience close buy and ask for their supervision. I'm a former ASE master technician, and you wouldn't believe how many people I've "helped" by just sitting there answering questions, and handing tools for some beer as they learned doing their own work.
That's a great way to learn. Have someone guide you through your at home repairs and or builds. Pay them in food and beer. Most of them willbe more than willing to help out.

Also youtube and the FSM and a Chiltons go a long way.

Reactions: RangerBill and KDC

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

That's a great way to learn. Have someone guide you through your at home repairs and or builds. Pay them in food and beer. Most of them willbe more than willing to help out.

Also youtube and the FSM and a Chiltons go a long way.
Totally agree. I’ve often offered to “help” people like this but while many people feel the freedom to ask me if I’ll change their oil for them, very few take me up on my offer of “my driveway, tools, and finger pointing while they learn to swing the wrench themselves”.

The couple of times I had a friend genuinely interested in learning, who took me up on that offer, I was excited! It’s fun to share skills with people.

SoCalFJZ80

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntington Beach
Member #

Totally agree. I’ve often offered to “help” people like this but while many people feel the freedom to ask me if I’ll change their oil for them, very few take me up on my offer of “my driveway, tools, and finger pointing while they learn to swing the wrench themselves”.

The couple of times I had a friend genuinely interested in learning, who took me up on that offer, I was excited! It’s fun to share skills with people.
110% it’s how I learned a lot of my mechanical skills everything from vehicles to aircraft. If I’ve never done a job before I’m never afraid to ask the questions. Or even pay a buddy for his time instead of a shop to lend a hand and tell me how to do something.