Military Trailer Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

Thought I would share this build of 1/4 M100 Army trailer I found decades ago in an apple orchard, discarded. I gave it some life. Now I'm building it into more of an overlanding trailer.

This is how they normally look stock.
m100-trailer-sale-g.jpg

What the Army did with them.
id_m100_700_02.jpg
id_m100_700_01.jpg

More pics shortly, but so you know: 1) I lifted it (spring over); 2) moved the shock mounts; 3) took off the pintle and added a custom noiseless hitch; 4) cut out the back panel to make a tailgate; and 5) am now building a coooking "table" and lid for the bed. Stay tuned.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I hope in the next few years I can teach myself to weld and work on a project like this. Looking great!

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

I decided to fill in the gap between the 2x6 framework and the trailer gunnel with some 1/4 round (painted and caulked with flexible, paintable stuff). And yes, I am just learning to do miter cuts with wood. Practice needed.

jeep-trailer-upgrade-miter-web.jpg
jeep-trailer-upgrade-framework-web.jpgjeep-trailer-upgrade-tongue-web.jpg

And this is it with the lid open on both the storage area and the cook box. Boy, do I love camo.

jeep-trailer-upgrade-open-web.jpg

Reactions: Road and TexasGMG

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

Here you go. Camp set up and ready to cook. The "table" is just a painted 1 x 12 shelf board supported by an expandable walking stick. Naturally I'll have a trash sack handy, as well as some wind screen options, but overall, this will be what my camp will look like. 5 minutes from parked to cooking. :)

jeep-trailer-upgrade-camp-web.jpg

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Great project.

Just a thought. Why not add a hinged sheet metal or wood "table" that folds closed back onto the inside of the tailgate? To open just open the tailgate, unfold the table outward and you can still use the adjustable walking stick for support? Then you don't have to carry the length of 2x12 around.

I have the chance to get one of these (black not camo with a pintle hitch), but we are picking up an offroad teardrop instead. My dog and I are too damn big to get up into a tent off the ground!

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

Great project.

Just a thought. Why not add a hinged sheet metal or wood "table" that folds closed back onto the inside of the tailgate? To open just open the tailgate, unfold the table outward and you can still use the adjustable walking stick for support? Then you don't have to carry the length of 2x12 around.

I have the chance to get one of these (black not camo with a pintle hitch), but we are picking up an offroad teardrop instead. My dog and I are too damn big to get up into a tent off the ground!
I like your idea. My table is a 1 x 12, 6 feet long that slides in right next to the food box. Hardly know it's there.

Reactions: USStrongman

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice build. My M100 has served me well for the past 25 odd years. Its main purpose was hauling gear on my AAT. Its seen all the major trails. I'm building a small teardrop (ish) trailer but will keep my old one mostly due to its simplicity.