Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UDL
Say hello, for the first time..
What kind of mileage are you guys and gals getting in you FJ80's
I can't to seem to hit the 11 MPG mark even with empty rack (spare and mattracks)

Reactions: Luis Merlo

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Is your 80 built? Or stock? Tire size? I get about 12.5 with roof rack and RTT, lifted, 285s, loaded and full armor on trips. Stop and go around town its maybe 8.5-9.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Holy hell, and Tundra guys complain about our MPG. I'm getting 15.5 avg and I can get 17 all highway. Was 16.8 avg / 19 highway before tires. Thats on a stock 2016 TRD Pro with 34.5" Cooper STT Pros.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

The old Ram Charger gets 16 mpg on the hwy and about 11 - 12 mpg messing around. Of course it is pretty much stock drive line and an easy foot on the 5.9L. If I push it hard it will drop down around 8 mpg, so it is a matter of prudence on how I drive it. You know what they say, with power comes responsibility.:sunglasses:

mr bill

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UDL
Is your 80 built? Or stock? Tire size? I get about 12.5 with roof rack and RTT, lifted, 285s, loaded and full armor on trips. Stop and go around town its maybe 8.5-9.
Stock running.. 33.5 A/T ko2's on black rock steel rims. arb front, arb roof. could be the 225k miles

cougargnw

Rank III

Advocate I

Wow! That's some sucky gas mileage! My question is how are the ignitions parts and have you done any kind of compression test on the motor to see if you have some internal issues going on? A check on the fuel pressure may be in order as well. My Tahoe gets 20 all day long with a 5.3 and a wife with a heavy foot

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Running the 33.5 A/T is probably your biggest issue. FJ80 only got 12/14 epa milage new with 255/70R16 tires which are about 31" tall. Going to a larger tire will add more unsprung weight and change your gearing wich will impact your milage. Don't forget your curb weight is 4510 lbs empty without adding the extras. Also have you recalibrated your spedometer and odometer for the larger tires. You could be driving more miles than your are accounting for when you do the fuel calculation.

mr bill

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UDL
This is about normal. full time 4x4 so pushing front end/trans/and rear all the time. I was just checking about the FJ80's
Speedo is off. I run off the GPS

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I had a speedo healer back in my motorcycle days after I changed the gearing. Is there something like this for trucks?

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Depends on the year an make of course. Newer trucks with them newfangled computers just take going in and changing the parameters. If your speedo is gear driven it requires you change the speedo drive gear.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
This is about normal. full time 4x4 so pushing front end/trans/and rear all the time. I was just checking about the FJ80's
Speedo is off. I run off the GPS
Yeah you're pretty normal with gear and 33s I guess. I typically hear 11-14 for a modified 80. It's about a 6% increase in miles travelled vs your trip odo in an FZJ with 285-75/16 (33s), so add that when you calculate. Stock tire size is 275-70/16. I switched out my O2 sensors when I had a CEL code and that gave me 1-2 mpg improvement but I wouldn't go trying to chase MPGs. It's the trade off for owning an overbuilt truck.

mr bill

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UDL
" I switched out my O2 sensors when I had a CEL code and that gave me 1-2 mpg improvement but I wouldn't go trying to chase MPGs"
Funny you say this. I have the check engine light for O2 sensor.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Well there you go. While your in there when was the last tune up? Remember you're pushing six, 4" cylinders up and down. Good for power not so good for gas. I think Toyota worked with OPEC when they developed their big six.

mr bill

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UDL
Well there you go. While your in there when was the last tune up? Remember you're pushing six, 4" cylinders up and down. Good for power not so good for gas. I think Toyota worked with OPEC when they developed their big six.
< than 500 miles full tune up.

jginca

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salinas CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

97 with 205,000, 255/85s, drawers, lift, rack, frig, dogs, wife, arb frt, Hannah rear bumper....10 mpg highway. With chaser trailer less than 9 mpg.