Might have bitten off more than I could chew (figuratively speaking)

• HTML tutorial

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
I met a fella at my last overlanding meetup that swore by the Timbuk Skottle. While I am no stranger to cooking on a Wok, I think that it is a good idea to have one of these. However, the price :dizzy:

So being a fairly handy guy I figured that I could make one of these without too much issue so I got online to see what could be had in my local area. I found a carbon steel Discada at Academy sports at $50 which was at least half of what I could find even online.

Well to make a long story pretty much the same length, I proceeded to go down and purchase it but DANG it is huge. I know that I suck at math but didn't realize how big 24 inches was.

So, now I am in process of finding out how to carry this thing in or on my FJ efficiently.

Good thing is that during the upcoming winter months, it can double as an awesome sled! (ala Clark Griswold)

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
Find something to put it in and strap it to your spare.

LOL, yep that is exactly what I am trying to work out. that might be my best plan. It might make more sense for me to get a 12 or 14 inch.

So if I come across Attila and his Huns while I am out overlanding, I will have NO PROBLEM cooking for them all:tearsofjoy:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

LOL, yep that is exactly what I am trying to work out. that might be my best plan. It might make more sense for me to get a 12 or 14 inch.

So if I come across Attila and his Huns while I am out overlanding, I will have NO PROBLEM cooking for them all:tearsofjoy:
I bought a cast iron one on amazon that is 17". It works for 2 but would be tuff to cook for more than that. I would try and find a way to keep the big boy if you can. It is a great piece to have in your kit.

Reactions: Shahn and 9Mike2

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I bought a cast iron one on amazon that is 17". It works for 2 but would be tuff to cook for more than that. I would try and find a way to keep the big boy if you can. It is a great piece to have in your kit.
Grub,

Is that the microwave version of a Skottle? :sunglasses:

• Haha
Reactions: Shahn and grubworm

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
why njot just get a discada, or a Comal pan? way cheaper and can be used on any stove, or burner.. just doesnt get the overlander points... personally I like heavy cast iron, but its just that heavy... so i stick with my GSI cookware... it packs down small, and I have enough pots and pans for everthing, pluss place settings for 4 people..

lloydrage

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Corpus Christi, TX, USA
First Name
Doyle
Last Name
Hancock
I was looking at getting one of these a couple years ago when it was really popular but then I figured it wouldnt work in the wind. Does anyone know how it handles windy days?

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

In the spirit of Veterans Day, I thought it would be good to promote the folks I got my Disc from. I went with the 22" and had an Eastman burner already. All I can say is that these things are awesome. Lots of size options and styles, and a very reasonable price.
Support Veteran Owned!!

Reactions: lloydrage

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

I was looking at getting one of these a couple years ago when it was really popular but then I figured it wouldnt work in the wind. Does anyone know how it handles windy days?
I've not had any real issues with wind, but it depends on the burner setup/style. I have the Eastman burner and a large plow disc, which puts out a pretty steady flame that is close to the disc. Heat transfer is consistent in most all conditions.

Reactions: lloydrage

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
I’ve got a 24” homemade disc cooker. It sits next to my fridge slid down in the slide and a quick strap around it to keep it in place. Takes 2 seconds to get out or put up. Takes up virtually no space, I never have to move it unless I’m cooking.

In the never ending quest for more room in my 100 it’s a very good solution for cooking for my style. Take up less room than a stove, and I don’t have to bring any pots and pans. Although I have my trusty OLD cast iron with me at all times.

I’ll snag a picture of it in the fridge slide when I get to the house.

Attachments

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
I’ve got a 24” homemade disc cooker. It sits next to my fridge slid down in the slide and a quick strap around it to keep it in place. Takes 2 seconds to get out or put up. Takes up virtually no space, I never have to move it unless I’m cooking.

In the never ending quest for more room in my 100 it’s a very good solution for cooking for my style. Take up less room than a stove, and I don’t have to bring any pots and pans. Although I have my trusty OLD cast iron with me at all times.

I’ll snag a picture of it in the fridge slide when I get to the house.

Woodford Reserve is ALWAYS a good choice!

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
Figured that I would revisit this after I solved for everything. After using the large Discada a few times, I decided that it was about the right size for me. Looked around on Amazon and found the Eastman Outdoors Big Kahuna burner which fits the large Discada perfectly and has removeable and collapsible legs. With everything apart it fits into my spare tire bag like it was made for it.

Discada and burner in action.

discada.jpg

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Shahn

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I put mine on a steel tire rim, great wind break. I can sit the rim directly over a wood/charcoal fire or on a turkey fryer propane base. Very multi functional.