Might as well start at the beginning. "Sawatch" (2022 Tacoma)

• HTML tutorial

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

The nice thing when you start here is, there's no guessing as to what's been done yet...so far picked it up at the dealership and put Husky liners in the new girl. I do have things scheduled already, so by the end of the month, I think this will get a lot more interesting.

The biggest challenge I have is that I have to park in a parking garage with some limited heights...right now I'm estimating the height of the build to be 87", and I think I have 90" of *easy* clearance (maybe a bit more, but it gets sketchy). That's with stock tire size and no lift....I wouldn't mind shoving 33's under there, but that's after I get some of the other work done to check out the actual clearance (I don't trust my building's signs any more than I trust my tape-measuring-guesstimate).
IMG_1397.jpegIMG_1398.jpegIMG_1399.jpeg

Last edited:

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

Sometimes things seem slow, but so many things are going on. I can't wait to be able to share how this comes together in the next few weeks.

Vinyl wrap (matte black) scheduled for drop off on the 23rd of March. Also getting the side windows tinted (darker than stock tint).

I've been working with Juniper Overland to get the goods stacking up as it goes into Juniper on the 28th of March for the major camping build out. I've decided to start with the camping focus over the off-road/protection as many places I go won't require too much from the Taco. As I get more comfortable with the truck, especially with the extra weight, I'll work on seeing what next steps are (after I recover from the financial impact of the new truck, wrap, and camping build out).

So far, the build will include:
3M Vinyl wrap matte black
Alu-cab canopy camper with awning and shower cube.
Goose Gear on passenger side of bed (this might not be delivered in time for the 28th).
RedArc Manager30 and TVMS (I'm excited about this, might be overkill for my use, but only wanted to do electrical ONCE).
130 Watt Solar Panel
Lion Safari UT 1300 (LiFePO4) battery
ARB Zero 73qt fridge freezer
WeBoost cell signal booster (I'll be working from camp a fair amount, so trying to expand my options while being able to work)
Dickinson fireplace/heater
ICON CDEV Suspension (how much lift is still in question due to clearance concerns in my garage, so rear leafs will be added to match the weight/clearance). In the long run I expect to be able to fully leverage both the technology as well as the lift potential of this kit, another thing I didn't want to do twice. (and I'll admit, this was kind of a fun factor as I find this system very interesting based on some of my prior experience with suspensions in race cars and the like).
Method 701's (17")
BFG KO2 (back to lift/clearance concerns, so waiting to see if I stay stock or go with the 33"s)
Juniper water tank (much like the alu-cab one, only it sits lower rather than high in the camper)
water pump and water heater (exact config TBD)
Expedition Essentials 3TPAM

Have a shake-out trip planned to head to the Grand Canyon near the end of April before the season really gets into high gear here in Colorado.

I think in the future, I'll be looking at some additional lighting (ditch lights and light bar of some sort), as I'll likely be getting into camp later than I prefer if I work a full day before heading out. Protection is pretty high on the list as well, but haven't nailed down how far I want to take that yet (bumpers? just sliders and a hybrid front bumper? winch?). Also, I do have a basic recovery kit, but will likely get some maxtrax (dual purpose of leveling rig as well as their intended use, as I do have some leveling blocks that would become one less thing to take...and I know I can usually find rocks or other things to help with this, but hate it when I can't).

Last edited:

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Good looking truck man! Can’t wait to see more of the build! It’s nice starting with a fresh clean slate! I have a Bronco, and am doing the same thing as you as I outfit it and get it ready to explore!

Reactions: TCBTacoma

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

What made you choose the WEBoost over the others? Im planning on working from the field this year also.
One of my co-workers used a WeBoost while he worked remotely from a RV, so figured that was a solid recommendation. Nothing a lot more complex than that (and I've seen generally positive sentiment about them...but didn't do a very deep comparison overall).

Reactions: Caffienated

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

OK, so I'll have to go back for some more detailed shots of the bits along the way...but the first planned phase is nearly complete (waiting on Goose Gear mainly at this point).
IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1441.jpeg
Already broke one of the struts that holds the bed platform, but that was just my stupidity. And there's an issue with the CDEV linking to any device, and I think it's set on super-squishy until that gets resolved. Other than that, the RedArc TVMS doesn't disappoint, ARB Fridge worked like a champ, Dickinson was a life-saver given the weather (I hadn't packed appropriately due to 1- excitement and 2- rushed shake out trip before heading to the Grand Canyon next week). Can't wait to fix what I broke, get the CDEV working as designed, and seeing how many dirt miles I can get under her.

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

Thought I would post an update as I did get it out for a longer shake-out trip. While not my desired method of using this rig (this was all at reserved campsites), I wanted the security of a campsite in case something didn't work out (water, power, whatever). Also, I had a tight timeline for this trip (as I wanted to get back to the Grand Canyon, and didn't want to use much time off from work). So, left on Wednesday, after work, for Moab. Then worked half a day, and drove on Thursday to Mather Campground on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and stayed there for Thrs/Fri/Sat nights. I'll add a couple pics at the end, but they're really just *truck parked at campground* type pics.

First, water. I didn't think this would be an issue since I don't yet have my hot water solution done. Given that, I did used it a bit to quickly rinse off (although it was cold and windy while I was there, which gave me a chance to test other things). Generally though, on this trip I only used about 5 gal of water. I think that if I am going to use the shower very often (I trail run, and sweat a lot), I'm going to need a way to replenish the water supply if I really go off-grid. I did use some of the shower pouches this time around, and find those to be pretty nice for what they are. Better than nothing by a long shot, but it's not as refreshing as rinsing off.

Second, heat. Thank god I had the little heater (along with a bit of indoor space). When I woke up to work on Thursday morning, it was probably around 30 degrees outside, and that's not great for working on a computer. I was able to create a little area in the canopy camper to sit and work, while I also fired up the jetboil to make coffee, all with the heater keeping it very pleasant. While in the canyon, it got down in the 20's every night, and it was windy enough that campfires were really not that helpful (and I don't really love making fires in high wind, being from Colorado). So, for the first couple nights, I would make dinner, then find a way to cozy up inside with the heat on before needing to get in bed. Also, the material on the tent of the canopy camper did great in the wind, keeping some heat in, and no noticeable condensation with just me in there.

Last, electrical. This is probably the system that got the best test/usage of all of it, and I was more impressed than I expected. When I got there, of course the system was 100% charged. I ran lights, the ARB fridge/freezer (always on this trip), fan for the furnace, charged devices...and I think that I woke up to the battery around 80% (105Ah battery). It was a cloudy/rainy day, and by the time it was getting dark, I was back to 98% capacity. The following day, it was about the same when I woke up, but with a normally sunny/cloudy day (it wasn't cloudless, but not rainy and such), the battery was back to 100% by lunch. I didn't expect the 130W solar panel to keep up quite this well (I never believe the ratings on things as I find there's inefficiencies in these systems that often go unaccounted for). So, I think that as long as there was reasonably good sunlight every-other-day-ish, this would be a system that never needed another power source other than the sun (given how I use electricity in it anyway).

So, the shake-out trip was great. I can't wait until the snow starts to melt in the mountains a bit more here so that the trails open up for more than getting muddy. It's time to get this out of campgrounds, and into the element it was designed to work in (although, nothing against a nice campground from time-to-time, just not my goal).

IMG_1457.jpegIMG_1466.jpeg

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
If you haven't thought about it, think about gear ratio change as you go up in tire size to account for the added leverage needed to turn the larger lever. So many folks forget about that when they are adding so many accessories (weight) and then taller tires. The vehicle tends to run out of muscle to move the load.

Great choice of components.

I am just waiting for some one to throw the bought not built comment out there.... waiting, waiting...

Let me just say, I have done both. No matter which way there were always things I would have done differently.

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

So, I agree with the gear ratio. Right now, it's pretty tolerable (as I put ~1500 miles on it this last weekend). There are the normal gear-hunting issues that Tacomas are known for, but not much worse than when it was stock. I do think that when I start adding protection, that weight will tip it over to needing that done. Right now, I think it's working well.

I'm happy to have the discussion on built vs. bought. I've built things before, and would again...but in my current situation, there's no way to (in any reasonable manner) have a place to do this kind of work (I live downtown, with a parking garage, only one place allocated..so even if I did rent a workshop space, getting to/from it would be difficult when the truck was in an *in progress* condition). All of this gets more nuanced, as I did consider renting a place to park/work on the truck, having a second car for a driver, etc...but I am fortunate to be in a position to afford the build option, and that just was so much simpler in my current living situation. But, last year I just used what I had (SUV, ground tent, EcoBoost, ez-up, etc.) to learn what I wanted. I found a shop with the expertise to help me realize my vision, and that was the right solution for me (right now anyway).

In the end, I think we get into this type of thing to have different experiences than those that don't get out into the mountains, forests, streams, swamps...whatever. I wanted to do MORE of that, and the way I was doing it was limiting the time I could get out and experience my environment. I'm making it easier and more fun to *get out there*, and I generally think that's more what it's about than what you do it in, or how you build the thing you do it in. I do think it can be beneficial to have a place to discuss different tools (rigs, tents, water solutions, etc.) that make it more fun for us, but in the end, it's not about the truck, it's about where it takes us.

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

Had another good, although quick, trip (one of the reasons I wanted a build like this...for the ease of it as much as the ability to self-sustain). Had a trail race on Saturday, then headed towards Dakan Mountain to poke around a bit and see about finding a place to crash for the night. Roads were easy to travel for any 4wd (maybe even some higher-clearance 2wd), other than being narrow (passing vehicles in the opposite direction was a bit tricky at points). Just steep enough to find 4L useful to manage speed up and down, but nothing that would require any actual off road skill to manage (assuming a very small amount of common sense). Did get to use the shower cube (had to stake it due to the gusty winds) as well as try out the Lavabox (level 1 fire restrictions in place). Also cut a bit of memory foam to add a wee bit to the alu-cab's sleeping pad...which did make it a bit more comfortable (I slept well in it before, so this was just an incremental improvement...but one I'm happy with).
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1480.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg

Reactions: Faneius

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

Pretty small update today, but did get a replacement strut, and spent a little time extracting the old one (the broken piece) from the holder. Hope to get it re-installed in a bit today and see how it works (it's not an identical replacement, but hopefully close enough to get the job done).
E301898F-DB4B-41A8-B3F8-3B3FBBAA9431_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Faneius