Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have the Yaesu FTM400XDR in my Jeep. I also looked at the Kenwood 710 and other Yaesu radios that all did APRS. I chose the 400 because I like the touch screen it is large and easy to read while driving, plus the ability to write/send texts by using the screen keyboard that is on the screen. Some vehicles do not have enough open area to mount such a large radio on the dash area - so look at that. Sit in your vehicle and google the sizes of the various radios that you are interested in and see where you would mount it. They all seem to run about the same price wise give or take $100. What ever you choose spend wisely on the antenna and mount because that is what is needed to make the radio perform at it's best.

jaffacree

Rank I

Contributor III

Saint Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Heath
I have the Yaesu FTM400XDR in my Jeep. I also looked at the Kenwood 710 and other Yaesu radios that all did APRS. I chose the 400 because I like the touch screen it is large and easy to read while driving, plus the ability to write/send texts by using the screen keyboard that is on the screen. Some vehicles do not have enough open area to mount such a large radio on the dash area - so look at that. Sit in your vehicle and google the sizes of the various radios that you are interested in and see where you would mount it. They all seem to run about the same price wise give or take $100. What ever you choose spend wisely on the antenna and mount because that is what is needed to make the radio perform at it's best.
Thank you sir! Good advice

Reactions: Graeman

Tortoise Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Rehoboth, MA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lathwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3MFL
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Try a Yaesu FTM-350 with APRS. Simple to set up. I actually have to get mine installed in my FJ Cruiser... RAM mounts work great with the head, and so do GoPro mounts too.