Samual
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0SYA
Service Branch
us army
Midland USA has a sale going on for a limited edition MXTTB "Blackout" micro mobile radio that comes with a pair of LXT500 walkie talkies. $100 for the deal. Good or wait?
i have had a few midland radios over the year's and i still have them they have all been good

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Midland USA has a sale going on for a limited edition MXTTB "Blackout" micro mobile radio that comes with a pair of LXT500 walkie talkies. $100 for the deal. Good or wait?
My take:
  • Midland makes a decent radio
  • Price is fair
  • Kit includes power adapter and mag-mount antenna (having the antenna outside the vehicle is a must for range)
  • MXTTB transmit power is 5W (low, but not necessarily a deal breaker with a good antenna)
  • MXTTB doesn't work with GMRS repeaters (significant drawback)
  • LXT500 is FRS only - lower power, again no repeaters (don't expect these to work well with the antenna inside the vehicle)
But, with all that said, this kit would be great for spotter-to-vehicle communication or short distance vehicle-to-vehicle.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

That's a good little radio with surprising range for 5w and even the little magnetic antenna, if mounted high and outside. Its range beats the heck out of a CB.

I've got a couple 15w Midland GMRS radios that work well, and I keep a 5w like that to loan to friends, along with a couple of their handheld GMRS units for spotting.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yup it's a good un. It would have saved me $75 bucks without considering the walkie talkies.

Reactions: Lil Bear