Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I get a ground plane with a magnetic mount if I move it to the roof? Does the mount itself achieve this or is it a non issue bc of the new height?

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
At the risk of sounding stupid, how do I get a ground plane with a magnetic mount if I move it to the roof? Does the mount itself achieve this or is it a non issue bc of the new height?
Not a stupid question. Mag mounts can still make some basic form of ground contact with the roof typically. Some come with a shiny thin metal material on the bottom, kind of like a sticker, designed to help make that contact. Definitely don't scratch paint off in the name of a mag mount, they'll typically perform well enough plus that extra height on the vehicle will help.

With antenna placement you have a factor called "shadowing", it's called many things, but that's a common term. Say your current antenna is on the hood near the passenger A pillar. Everything to the rear driver side without line of sight will see a decreased signal strength due to the vehicle being in the way. This is where roof is ideal, omnidirectional unobstructed path.

Reactions: TygerFighter11B

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Also just got the pictures to finally load. Looks like you have an NMO mount there. That antenna isn't up real high and likely doesn't have much gain. I'd recommend moving to a taller and higher gain antenna if you can.

With antennas and comms, rule of 3s applies to power and dB. So let's say you have a 5 watt radio, if you have a 3dB gain antenna you have an effective power of 10 watts. If you add another 3 dB, it doubles to 20 watts. This logarithmic scale matters due to the propagation of the RF energy in all directions, so it takes more power to really see an increase.

The antenna linked below is a 6dB gain. That helps for received signals as well as your transmission.
Midland 6 dB Gain Antenna with Durable Spring Base and NMO Connection - Works with Midland MicroMobile MXT105, MXT115, MXT275, MXT400

Reactions: TygerFighter11B

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Tomorrow I’m gonna run the power cable to the battery and install a relay. I’ll check back in after that. Went ahead and ordered that antenna as well. Hopefully this combo sees an improvement. If not looks like a roof mounted magnet mount is the next stop.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Unless your vehicle isn't driven more than 1 or 2 times a week, I would skip the relay. Not only to simplify the wiring but make it so that you don't have to have a key in the vehicle to use the radio.

Last edited:

scotticus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Simpson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5EO
I think some folks aren’t going with a permanent install so that makes a good temp solution. But noisy. Also if you want more power, direct is the way to go.
Happy to report that running the power directly to the battery made a huge difference. I’m shocked this isn’t the recommended install from midland but I get it, plugging into the cig lighter is easy.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Happy to report that running the power directly to the battery made a huge difference. I’m shocked this isn’t the recommended install from midland but I get it, plugging into the cig lighter is easy.
Awesome, glad to hear it! It was likely picking up any number of vehicle electronics along the way.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Good news!

Reactions: M Rose