Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
First post so go easy on me, did a trip this weekend and used my Midland MXT275 for the first time in a group. I had a lot of static problems on the interstate and I’m wondering if it’s something I just need to expect or if I’m doing something wrong. We were pretty tight together, maybe only a few hundred feet ,and using the lower power channels bc a few guys only had cheap FRS radios. Another guy using an mxt275 with the standard antenna was barely audible at times to me. Sometimes he was clear other times I was struggling to hear him. I’m using one of the stubby midland antennas mounted on my hood, just for reference. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Reactions: Shahn

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
First post so go easy on me, did a trip this weekend and used my Midland MXT275 for the first time in a group. I had a lot of static problems on the interstate and I’m wondering if it’s something I just need to expect or if I’m doing something wrong. We were pretty tight together, maybe only a few hundred feet ,and using the lower power channels bc a few guys only had cheap FRS radios. Another guy using an mxt275 with the standard antenna was barely audible at times to me. Sometimes he was clear other times I was struggling to hear him. I’m using one of the stubby midland antennas mounted on my hood, just for reference. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you may have some antenna or power interference issues. With some caveats to that...

How are you getting power for the radio?

What's the antenna setup like? Is it permanent? Mag mount? Bumper?

Some of these frequencies are certainly more susceptible to interference or static but that's typically more of a concern in urban areas with all the various electronics around.

There's an option on a lot of radios called a PL code, on GMRS sometimes it's called a privacy code or something of the sort.

Say you're on 462.550 (GMRS 15) with no privacy code or PL tone. Any RF energy (could be alternator interference, other electronics, etc. Will break squelch on the radio).

If you add a receive PL code on your radio for 462.550 the radio will listen for a sub-audible tone (88.5 hz) for example. If there's RF energy, whether that's another user or not, on the same frequency and they don't transmit 88.5 you will not hear them. Same goes the other way, if they have a recieve code you need to transmit one for them to hear you. Having a code like this enabled is the best way to combat static or unwanted interference.

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Thanks @KyleGrant !

Currently using the cigarette lighter plug thats included

Its mounted to the hood using a mount that clamps around the edge of the hood with the cable running to the main body in the glove box

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Thanks @KyleGrant !

Long term I'd recommend going straight to the battery. If you want to have it switched off ignition you could add an automotive relay in line to cut power when the vehicle ignition is off, if that's a concern. Straight to the battery is your best bet to reduce any additional interference items. I say this, but it isn't a guarantee either; simply a 'best case' idea to go straight there. If you're able to employ PL/private codes in your group you'll probably find the cig plug will work just fine.

Its mounted to the hood using a mount that clamps around the edge of the hood with the cable running to the main body in the glove box
Gotcha, certainly not a worst case scenario for antenna. I don't want to insult intelligence, just not sure where you're at with the communications world either so please don't take it from that perspective. With antennas you want to ensure they have a good ground plane. It allows the radio to differentiate the environment 'reference/ground' from the RF needing to be received in a quick sense of the concept. Ideally an antenna is mounted center of the roof and drilled in, which I completely understand is not common nor is it necessary and frankly some folks simply don't want holes in their roof; kinda like the battery it's just 'best case'. With your hood mount, if you're able scrape away some of the paint where the set screws clamp down under the hood it'll help that mount get a better ground plane. You'll likely not see a major difference in performance but could see better reception and perhaps a bit better transmitter performance.

The downside with newer vehicles is all the electronics and that's where radios can have some issues. I have a higher end Yaesu FTM-400, nice radio yet it still suffers from the same issues you have on your GMRS rig so it goes to show - more money in a radio isn't always better (but it sure can be) depending what you're after. Kind of a common theme in communications, so many variables. Anyhow, electronic ignition, HID headlights, LED's in off-road bars or headlights; all of these items are known to create RF interference. I notice interference on my Yaesu just driving around Wichita, something near any McDonald's will light my radio up on VHF frequencies - no idea what it is, but anytime I drive by one anywhere my radio goes static. Transformers on power poles can also create RF interference, you start seeing that way more in the lower frequency HF world.

Best thing overall I could recommend to ya is try to run a PL tone / privacy code. That'll keep your radio quiet until somebody from your group keys up. Everything else you have going on sounds like it should work just fine, little improvements could be had but nonetheless, PL tones would be the best ammo to combat the issue more than likely. If you have a buddy in comms who could check your SWR on your setup as well, that would be a good idea just to verify the antenna/coax are all healthy.

Reactions: Shahn

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Thanks, I’m pretty new to all of this and just trying to get a solid foundation right now. This is a great place for me to start, I appreciate the help!

Reactions: Advtres

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Thanks, I’m pretty new to all of this and just trying to get a solid foundation right now. This is a great place for me to start, I appreciate the help!
Lots of good help around here. We all start somewhere!

I did find this website a HAM put together. Pretty good write-up about PL tones and such if you're interested.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Thanks @KyleGrant !

Mounting it below the roof is going to limit range dramatically. Keep in mind that 2-way radio communications are all about line of site. The more obstructions (in this case, the cab of your vehicle), the shorter your range.

Try moving the antenna to the roof and testing results. Regardless of what everyone else is using, I would use the higher power channels. Good communications in one direction and spotty in the other is better than spotty in both directions.

Post some photos of your set up and we can likely help more.

Hope this helps!

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Here are some pics of my setup:

tempImageKxv7ty.jpg
The power is currently run to the cigarette lighter.
tempImageRfow9P.jpg
Unit is mounted in the glove box.
tempImagex8rcxK.jpg
Antenna is mounted on the passenger side of the hood.

Reactions: GFB_Steve

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I have been using a Midland MXT275 with a 3db antenna (hood mounted) for a while and I finally decided to sell it. My cheap Midland GMRS was performing way better (audio quality, static etc).
I could have wired straight to the batter but honestly could not be bothered. I thought the MXT275 would have performed way better straight out of the box.

Anyway, now I got a 5W Baofeng GMRS and I'm really happy with it.

Reactions: TygerFighter11B

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Reactions: Prerunner1982

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How is the audio with the rig off?
Turn the key to run, but don’t start the engine and see if there is interference. You are more than likely going to have to run the power directly to the battery as others have mentioned (the cig lighter is the noisiest (RF) power source in your whole truck.

Secondly is there continuity between the antenna mount and your fender? How about between the mount and the hood. You might try bonding the mount to both the hood and fenders (which should bond to the cab and the rest of the body).
Have not tried it with the truck off as the power supply is ignition dependent.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Is this a new radio, or new to you setup? If it’s used, it could be a loose or intermittent co-ax connection. @Adventures with Penny had the microphone cable break and create something similar to what you described.

scotticus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Simpson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5EO
if you can i would recommend running fused line to the battery. mostly because that is going to be your cleanest source of power. you can even relay it through an accessory line if you want it to on/off with your vehicle power. another thing to check would be your antenna connection and wire. i had issues with loss on a setup and it turned out the antenna cable got pinched and water got in!

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Is this a new radio, or new to you setup? If it’s used, it could be a loose or intermittent co-ax connection. @Adventures with Penny had the microphone cable break and create something similar to what you described.
Radio is new, I checked the cable, everything looks good, I do have about 6 feet of it coiled up under the dash though.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Radio is new, I checked the cable, everything looks good, I do have about 6 feet of it coiled up under the dash though.
Take the extra coax and run it tightly around a 3” diameter PVC pipe, this will act as a choke and help mitigate your RF noise you are hearing. Look up “Ugly 1:1 RF Choke”.

Another idea I just had, make sure your extra coax isn’t laying near any electrical wires or components as the braid from the coax can act as an antenna as well if it’s too close in proximity to other rf generators (your ignition system, abs system, air bags, and fuel pump are the worst).

scotticus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Simpson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5EO
Take the extra coax and run it tightly around a 3” diameter PVC pipe, this will act as a choke and help mitigate your RF noise you are hearing. Look up “Ugly 1:1 RF Choke”.

Another idea I just had, make sure your extra coax isn’t laying near any electrical wires or components as the braid from the coax can act as an antenna as well if it’s too close in proximity to other rf generators (your ignition system, abs system, air bags, and fuel pump are the worst).
this is a really good suggestion. if your cable is next to any electrical systems i could "couple" on the jacket and create that noise. Ugly Choke or Ugly Balun, will do wonders for filtering noise!

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
Here are some pics of my setup:

View attachment 223206
The power is currently run to the cigarette lighter.

View attachment 223208
Antenna is mounted on the passenger side of the hood.
How is the audio with the rig off?
That's a great question. If people receiving your transmissions are hearing a whine that corresponds with engine RPM, connecting power and ground directly to the battery could fix it.

That antenna placement is going to block the signal to everyone behind and to the left of the car. Put your eyes at the same height as the antenna and look back on the car. Everything that blocks your vision (the car) is also blocking radio signals.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Got my CB magnetic on the roof of my truck. Should I decide to pick up an MXT, I'd try to find a roof magnetic as well.