Michigan U.P. Route Suggestions

• HTML tutorial

Badmeat

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am currently researching/planning a trip with some friends of ours and would like some suggestions. Three couples will be going and my 5 year old daughter (she loves camping, kayaking, outdoors). I would like to plan a route to the Upper Peninsula and travel forest roads, light trails, and scenic routes. We have enough kayaks for all of us so some areas to float would be welcomed as well. We all did a trip last fall to the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway around Red River Gorge in KY. The only addition to that crew will be my daughter this time around.

Timeline- Mid-late July
Length- 7-9 days
Origin- 10 minutes south of Cincinnati, OH (540 miles to the U.P.)
Vehicles- Two 5th gen 4Runners, mild lifts, A/T tires & 2nd Gen Tacoma of similar capability

My tentative plan is to leave Thursday evening after work and start the drive with the goal of making it into Michigan that night. I would like to setup camp at a frequented camp site since we will be setting up in the dark. On Friday, I hope to make it into the U.P. by mid-afternoon. From there, I have no idea where I'll be going, but I plan to figure that out in the next couple weeks with the help of anyone familiar with the area. Cheers!

EDIT: suggestions to other parts of Michigan are welcomed also. My wife has just made the suggestion about visiting the U.P.

Last edited:

Appalachian4wd

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Dahlonega, Ga
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Kuehl
Member #

Hi!

I have done a tour of the U.P. on a motorcycle with a couple buddies. We didn't camp, because we stayed in Sault Ste. Marie, Canada a couple days. So my favorite places to see were Whitefish Point, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Whitefish Point has the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, which has the bell from the Edmond Fitzgerald on display. I would check with maybe the Michigan State Parks Service and maybe the Michigan DNR on some great places to Camp. You definitely have to visit Pictured Rocks though.

Also, one more thing to add. If you get the chance, go to Mackinac Island for a day.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

If you want to push it, Copper Harbor is a great visit, well the Keweenaw in general. Porcupine mountains. Grand Marias, North end of Pictured Rocks.

On your way up there is some nice camping around Jordan river, State Forest Campgrounds off M66, assuming you are going up 75 cut over on 72 to 131 and up to 66.

Take into account I have not been there in 10 years But spent a lot of time in the UP and Northern Michigan and parts of Ont.

NorMichZR2

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Traverse City, Michigan
Member #

I'm from the northern Lower Peninsula and if I were going to the UP for the first time for 7-9 days I would make sure to:

1. Mackinac Island- Automobiles have been banned since 1898 there, so visiting the island is like stepping back in time. Would be a great day trip, especially for the kids. Cool to see horse and buggys like there used to be back in the day. Fort Michilimackinaw is there as well and was used during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812.

2. Pictured Rocks- Miners castle overlook and assorted trails near there. Beautiful limestone cliffs, great hiking and kayaking. Keep in mind this is Lake Superior so keep weather in mind.

3. Two Hearted River- beautiful campground on the river up there, first come first serve campsites but the most beautiful setting you will ever see.

4. Marquette (Black Rocks)- jump off them (15' or so high) into the water,

5. Mouth of the Huron River- beautiful place to camp, drive on the beach

6. More General- lots of mining history. Find some mines, do a mine tour! If you are going up into the Keewanaw Peninsula, go to copper mines near Laurium/Houghton/Hancock and go all the way to the tip of hte Keewanaw at Copper Harbor.

7. Brockway Mountain (in Keewanaw Peninsula)

8. Porcupine Mountains (way far west though)