Michigan trails

• HTML tutorial

tjgoode

Rank 0

Contributor I

Does anyone know of any good places to go in Michigan?
I'm from the lower part of the state and I've been looking and I haven't seen anything. No one around here is into this, can I get some help?

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Drummond Island in the U.P. You'll also find a lot of people in the U.P. into off roading. I know of a group out of Munising. I usually head up to Michigan once a year with my wife. Usually go to Traverse City, then Mackinaw, then to the U.P. for a few days. Hoping to get to Drummond Island next year. Not sure about the lower part of the state, but in the U.P. there seems to be more options for off roading. If you're just looking to get away, we usually stay in a cabin along the Manistique River in Germfask.

tjgoode

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thank you man I'll do a little more research on the u.p. And I'll let you know if I find anything cool or different

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thank you man I'll do a little more research on the u.p. And I'll let you know if I find anything cool or different
Let me know what you find and I'll let you know if I find anything. I'm trying to plan a trip for next year. I heard about Iron Mountain and areas like that. Crisp Point Light House is a cool location up on Lake Superior. It takes about an hour on wash board roads and trails to get there, but a beautiful area. Next year I'm looking at trying to plan a trip to remote lighthouse locations on the great lakes. I enjoy Michigan so much we're actually looking at moving to Southern Michigan next year.

tjgoode

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oh that sounds awesome man! And I will let let you know I'll keep an eye out down low also.

Where you moving to?

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Oh that sounds awesome man! And I will let let you know I'll keep an eye out down low also.

Where you moving to?
Looking at Wayland, MI. If not Michigan, possibly Elkhart, IN, which is very close to the southern border of Michigan. I started working in the RV industry last year because I wanted a skill I could take on the road when my wife and I finally buy an RV and live in it. General RV in Wayland, and other places in Michigan is always looking for RV techs. If we don't move there, I'm looking at some of the manufacturers in Elkhart. Plan someday is live North in the summers and South in the winters. I lived a few years in Traverse City and really miss the area.

tjgoode

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey man there's general rv in Birch run MI and wixom/novi MI
I know they are always hiring
And oh yes Traverse City is absolutely beautiful

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hey man there's general rv in Birch run MI and wixom/novi MI
I know they are always hiring
And oh yes Traverse City is absolutely beautiful
I'll have to check out those cities as well. I'm interested in General RV since they have shops in Florida as well. Hoping someday to do the North/South, Summer/Winter thing. Thanks for the info.

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

If you get a chance you should check this web site http://www.glfwda.org/content.php?s=4c0e0cb3e039dc1601d9431218a74bee . If you can join you will have several chances throughout the year to join in on trail rides and land cleanup events. They do so much ground work to expand off roading in Michigan and keeping our lands open that others want closed.

Hank

Reactions: KrisK

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I want to go to Michigan someday. The pictures I've seen over the years have always looked so beautiful, and the older I get the more I hate being hot. I've lived in Arizona and Louisiana, but if I ever leave Illinois, I'm going NORTH !

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I want to go to Michigan someday. The pictures I've seen over the years have always looked so beautiful, and the older I get the more I hate being hot. I've lived in Arizona and Louisiana, but if I ever leave Illinois, I'm going NORTH !
I live next door in Iowa. Lived in Phoenix. Hate the heat. I've pretty much got my wife convinced we need to move North. I've taken her to Michigan a few times and she loves it. Not sure how she'll handle the winters though.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Drummond Island in the U.P. You'll also find a lot of people in the U.P. into off roading. I know of a group out of Munising.
Are you talking about the UP Overland/Roam group? I have been in with them since the UPO trips started back in '08. Tom & TJ have a few ventures going around there.

I tend to do most my trailriding in da UP. There are a few spots I hit in the LP on occasion. I was up around Gladwin/Sterling a couple weekends ago. A buddy bought a Rubi and wanted to go somewhere. We cut through the Pigeon River State Forest on our way home earlier this year. It looked like it has some decent exploring to offer. There is always Silver Lake Dunes but I am yawning after a couple laps. It is pretty asy to find some forest roads and 2-tracks up north to just wander on.

The only ORPs I have been to in Michigan are The Mounds by Flint. I got tired of running (or trying to) through the tractor-tired mud trucks ruts. Bleh. Rocks & Valleys in Harrison is pretty cool. There is something for everyone there. Ron that runs it is a good guy too. I went to Turtle Ridge ORP on Drummond once. I was stock and it seemed to be for SWB Jeeps (tight trails) and heavily-modded rigs. I stick to the ORV trails on the island.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Are you talking about the UP Overland/Roam group? I have been in with them since the UPO trips started back in '08. Tom & TJ have a few ventures going around there.

I tend to do most my trailriding in da UP. There are a few spots I hit in the LP on occasion. I was up around Gladwin/Sterling a couple weekends ago. A buddy bought a Rubi and wanted to go somewhere. We cut through the Pigeon River State Forest on our way home earlier this year. It looked like it has some decent exploring to offer. There is always Silver Lake Dunes but I am yawning after a couple laps. It is pretty asy to find some forest roads and 2-tracks up north to just wander on.

The only ORPs I have been to in Michigan are The Mounds by Flint. I got tired of running (or trying to) through the tractor-tired mud trucks ruts. Bleh. Rocks & Valleys in Harrison is pretty cool. There is something for everyone there. Ron that runs it is a good guy too. I went to Turtle Ridge ORP on Drummond once. I was stock and it seemed to be for SWB Jeeps (tight trails) and heavily-modded rigs. I stick to the ORV trails on the island.
Good info. I'm on the UP Overland forum but I don't get on there much. I need to try to get in on one of their outings someday soon. Wish I could live in the UP. Beautiful area, and peaceful.

Vader_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

The Keweenaw has some nice adventure roads, especially all the way UP in Copper Harbor. I go UP for the epic biking in Copper Harbor and Marquette. I am going to do more exploring next summer in the Keweenaw

Reactions: Rattler

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
The Keweenaw has some nice adventure roads, especially all the way UP in Copper Harbor. I go UP for the epic biking in Copper Harbor and Marquette. I am going to do more exploring next summer in the Keweenaw
From hat I have read, it sounds like the Michigan DNR is going to be opening the areas past Copper Harbor up more. The road out to High Rock Bay is just short of being a dirt highway now compared to 10 years ago. HRB is a great spot to camp but can be over run at times in the summer now. A little exploring may lead you to other places that are nice and less crowded.

BTW, stop at Brickside Brewery. Its a nice cozy place to grab a beer. Plus the owner is into overlanding/camping.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I go up north all the time especially in the winter to go snowboarding. On the way up I get off the freeway around West Branch and take trails all the way past Grayling. It's a ritual now and there are actually some great trails all the way up in the lower peninsula. About half way is St. Helen motorsports area…good times…fun trails. Heading up to Boyne Highlands tomorrow actually :) Some great trails around Petosky as well.