Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

I have a long weekend coming up and was thinking about pointing the overlander in the direction of the Metolius River area and was wondering if anyone is familiar with any dispersed camping (primitive) sites near the water? Me and the wife are very responsible campers (we pack out everything we pack in and are discreet), so don't worry about giving up those secret spots:grin: I want to try out my stealth fly fishing skills as I hear the resident trout are extremely shy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: The Nothing

Sadkomodo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washougal Washington
Member #

It has been a long while since I dispersed camped at the Metolius(should do it soon) but there are plenty of spots passed Bridge 99. Just continue to follow the forest road passed the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Ubiety

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I have a long weekend coming up and was thinking about pointing the overlander in the direction of the Metolius River area and was wondering if anyone is familiar with any dispersed camping (primitive) sites near the water? Me and the wife are very responsible campers (we pack out everything we pack in and are discreet), so don't worry about giving up those secret spots:grin: I want to try out my stealth fly fishing skills as I hear the resident trout are extremely shy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Like @Sadkomodo said, the only placed to camp outside of the designated campgrounds is below Bridge 99. I camp below and fish above. My tip for fishing the Met is keep your boots dry. Use your eyes more and wade less. A lot of the fish are right next to the bank and skitter away when stepped on. Let them rest a bit and they'll come back to feeding. This time of year the Bull Trout are coming upriver to spawn in August. The bigger fish enter the river at this time and can surprise the unwary Trout chaser when they grab a fish off their line or empty their line and backing off the reel. The Green Drake hatch is over until the lesser Drakes pop in the fall. Goldenstones, Caddis, Yellow Sallies and the misc. small Mayfly hatch are the staple. The Goldenstones have started showing and will continue through August in the upper river. I don't see them as much below Wizard Falls, but I'm sure they show up there.

I keep trying to slip a date on the Met into the schedule, but have failed miserably. My last visit was in February! Not like me to be away from there for so long. Too many other waters calling me this year. Maybe I'd better head over this week...

Metolius-5751.jpg

Reactions: Ubiety