Metal Detecting

• HTML tutorial

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Hey Kent! Oh man I miss California. I grew up in Thousand Oaks and went to school in San Luis Obispo. You'd find us either at the beach or up in the Sierras. We will actually be through your neck of the woods mid to end October on an extended road trip. We have a wedding to attend the first week of November in Ragged Point, just south of Big Sur. Ultimately ending up in Yuma AZ then back. Would be very cool to hook up and do a run. These are the kinds of things we like to do when overlanding so heck yeah, lets see if we can put something together. I'll reach out via private message when I get the chance. Running out the door, later.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Kent! Oh man I miss California. I grew up in Thousand Oaks and went to school in San Luis Obispo. You'd find us either at the beach or up in the Sierras. We will actually be through your neck of the woods mid to end October on an extended road trip. We have a wedding to attend the first week of November in Ragged Point, just south of Big Sur. Ultimately ending up in Yuma AZ then back. Would be very cool to hook up and do a run. These are the kinds of things we like to do when overlanding so heck yeah, lets see if we can put something together. I'll reach out via private message when I get the chance. Running out the door, later.
We are in just get me a tentative date and Ill block out the time. Our club has one overland trip per month so ill check that schedule also. Thanks for getting back to me!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Just pulled the trigger again, had a Whites years ago. Since then so many times we have said to each other while exploring “this would be a cool place for a MD” Purchased a Garrett AT Pro. Big difference now with the internet available for doing research. Old Topos, aerial photos, battle locations, treasure hunting websites to trade ideas and ID finds, abandoned towns,mines, and buildings, and Google Earth at the top of the list. I find doing the research to find old forts and other cool places 3/4 of the adventure especially when you go in the field and the research pays off. Just discovered an abandoned missile site from the Cuban Missile Crisis era. We will be checking that out in a few weeks. Kellyco is the place to purchase, outstanding customer service. Rock on!

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
Just pulled the trigger again, had a Whites years ago. Since then so many times we have said to each other while exploring “this would be a cool place for a MD” Purchased a Garrett AT Pro. Big difference now with the internet available for doing research. Old Topos, aerial photos, battle locations, treasure hunting websites to trade ideas and ID finds, abandoned towns,mines, and buildings, and Google Earth at the top of the list. I find doing the research to find old forts and other cool places 3/4 of the adventure especially when you go in the field and the research pays off. Just discovered an abandoned missile site from the Cuban Missile Crisis era. We will be checking that out in a few weeks. Kellyco is the place to purchase, outstanding customer service. Rock on!
If its the missile site I am thinking of be careful, its FULL of snakes, including Pythons. Good luck!

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

If its the missile site I am thinking of be careful, its FULL of snakes, including Pythons. Good luck!
Its not the one in the Glades. Came across this one by accident while searching for something else. What’s funny this last week we were camping and detecting at Sebastian S.P. and I was talking to our neighbor about it and he had a house about a mile away from the site. I pulled out my iPad and showed him the location on the old topo, he freaked, never knew it was there. Thanks for the heads up on the snakes, the Crocs (there’s a clue) are my big concern, I will be going in by boat, the wife refuses to go so she will monitor me on 2M and I will be “prepared”. Looks like a pretty scary adventure , last time I went in deep I came face to face with a wild hog that weighed more than me. Luckily it just turned and walked away but scared the sh!t out of me! I will keep you posted and will take plenty of pix if I can get to it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Its not the one in the Glades. Came across this one by accident while searching for something else. What’s funny this last week we were camping and detecting at Sebastian S.P. and I was talking to our neighbor about it and he had a house about a mile away from the site. I pulled out my iPad and showed him the location on the old topo, he freaked, never knew it was there. Thanks for the heads up on the snakes, the Crocs (there’s a clue) are my big concern, I will be going in by boat, the wife refuses to go so she will monitor me on 2M and I will be “prepared”. Looks like a pretty scary adventure , last time I went in deep I came face to face with a wild hog that weighed more than me. Luckily it just turned and walked away but scared the sh!t out of me! I will keep you posted and will take plenty of pix if I can get to it.
Found it! Had to get a backcountry permit. The skeeters were swarming.D410B83D-9A35-49BE-95B8-F89655BC6D08.jpeg59E34FE7-AEC8-426D-B2E8-86412C639D99.jpegExact same layout as the HM69 Site in the Glades, 3 square “U” shaped bunkers. Not much to see, some piles of debris, bunker walls, no pythons. You can even see the bunkers on Google Earth.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

I am very interested in this, we find lots of mines around El Dorado County CA and go to NV often to check out old sites. If your ever down here maybe we could take you on some trails and in turn you could show me the ins and outs of the sport.
Hi Kent...

Is it possible to have to have a thread in the discussion section of the forum for Metal Detecting/Prospecting?
I have just come back to the hobby after many years...went and bought myself an Equinox 800 to do a bit of everything when I travel!

Adrian

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Hi Kent...

Is it possible to have to have a thread in the discussion section of the forum for Metal Detecting/Prospecting?
I have just come back to the hobby after many years...went and bought myself an Equinox 800 to do a bit of everything when I travel!

Adrian
Treasurenet.com

Reactions: Aussie571