Metal Detecting

• HTML tutorial

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Mamma mia!! Now thats some nice looking gold. Hopefully you can the coordinates or even an idea where he got those here in Australia then come on over for some detecting! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. Makes me want to go swing my MD right now!

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
I have been metal detecting for a very long time. I do a lot of beach detecting. My overland rig is outfitted for all metal detecting stuff. You can see the photos below of my Scoop mount, and my various rock tools, picks, etc.IMG_3467.JPGIMG_3439.JPG

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

I have been metal detecting for a very long time. I do a lot of beach detecting. My overland rig is outfitted for all metal detecting stuff. You can see the photos below of my Scoop mount, and my various rock tools, picks, etc.View attachment 35301View attachment 35302
I used to use the Garrett pinpointer as well but going the whites trx is almost three times as sensitive.
I do love hope all your smaller tools are mounted. That's awesome. I'm trying to get a utility shell with side boxes for mine.

Sent from my XT1609 using OB Talk mobile app

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
I used to use the Garrett pinpointer as well but going the whites trx is almost three times as sensitive.
I do love hope all your smaller tools are mounted. That's awesome. I'm trying to get a utility shell with side boxes for mine.

Sent from my XT1609 using OB Talk mobile app
The empty sleeve next to the Pro Pointer holds my Pro Pointer AT (Carrot/Orange), I have two of those and that is what I primarily use for pinpointing.

Reactions: Graeman

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

How many of y'all are into metal detecting??? It seems like all my hobbies are expensive.....(i.e. Photography, metal detecting, overlanding)

[EDIT] Merged new thread with existing topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren Wilson

Rank II

Traveler I

Enid, OK
My wife and I just started a few months ago.

We share the expensive hobby problem. I bought a Garrett 150. We thought it would be a good starter unit until we were sure we'd like it. I'm looking at a 400 this month and an AT Pro later.

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

My wife and I just started a few months ago.

We share the expensive hobby problem. I bought a Garrett 150. We thought it would be a good starter unit until we were sure we'd like it. I'm looking at a 400 this month and an AT Pro later.
yeah I went full bore with the AT Pro....I love it.....They have a new machine out now...the AT MAX....looks pretty cool

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
This is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid! Quick question- whats the coolest thing you've uncovered?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have an AT Pro and I love it. All last year when I lived in CO, I had a great time hunting with it. My best so far is a Black Hills Gold ring that I found at a soccer field. Now that I live in AZ, (moved here last month) the hunts have not been as fruitful. I am going to a ghost town this weekend up near Crown King and I hope to find coins older than clad. I have found some nice 2 & 3 ringers (bullets) from an old Army Post shooting range. Like I said hunting in AZ is a bit slow being that it is such a young state.

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

I am going out this weekend to an old ghost town near Crown King - not really looking for gold but I am looking for coins and tokens.
Good luck on your hunt!
I'm headed to work for the summer but it's going to be a few months before I'm able to get out. It will be an epic year again!

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

I am going out this weekend to an old ghost town near Crown King - not really looking for gold but I am looking for coins and tokens.
Cool, have an awesome day. Don't just search the obvious. Many of these places have been hit hard. I like to look around for a little hill top or trail out of town or to a nice picnic spot. Nice spots on the shore of a creek etc. Think about how they would have moved around and hung out in the day. I have found some of my best items out around a town. Good luck!

ASRussell

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Monroeville, PA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Russell
Member #

This is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid! Quick question- whats the coolest thing you've uncovered?
I have found lots of cool stuff...I have found a few rings (both gold and silver)....Also I have found some cool tokens (no value in the tokens but still a cool find) I use the Garrett AT Pro and I love it...

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Curious if there are any metal detectorists on here. Occasional recreational users, great, bring it on, but how about those that make it part of their overlanding gear and have it with them more than not.

Love the thread Old Mines, Ghost Towns, etc. You never know when you will be somewhere that the detector will come in handy. Of course you want to know if the property is private or public and if there are any detecting regulations that may exist for the area.

They also come in handy if someone loses something like a nut or screw while doing a repair or keys, jewelry, a tent stake. I have found many property markers for people as well.

As a member of TheRingFinders.com I help people find missing items as well as property searches and cache retrievals. On ground and underwater! I'm in Northwest Washington if anyone needs assistance or would like to get together for a day of detecting or a day of wheeling, with the chance of detecting.

View attachment 12691View attachment 12692
I am very interested in this, we find lots of mines around El Dorado County CA and go to NV often to check out old sites. If your ever down here maybe we could take you on some trails and in turn you could show me the ins and outs of the sport.