Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I just wanna load up and go digging. I have not tried using my MD for that yet.
Has anyone tried looking for gold without a gold specific MD?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I might have to go digging tomorrow to see if I can find some of that gold with my AT Pro. Never tried that before, I know it can do it just not designed solely for the purpose of gold.

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

This is a great thread! My Dad has talked about detecting for years and never made the leap. With Father's Day approaching I may make the plunge for him. Now I know where to start. Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: Trail Wonky

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

It can be a great Father/Son outing. Do some research and look for old towns and trails and rest stops on those trails. It's a lot of fun for history buffs....

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That first real find is where it's at. You will be hooked. Don't get discouraged when you find pull tabs and bottle tops.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

This is a great thread! My Dad has talked about detecting for years and never made the leap. With Father's Day approaching I may make the plunge for him. Now I know where to start. Thanks for all the input!
What an awesome thing to do on fathers day!!! I hear that a lot, "I've always wanted to, just never did it". Good luck and happy hunting.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I had a Whites underwater dectector. One thing I found out that a lot of places they are illegal, National , State, local parks are off limits. In Florida you can use them on public beaches, once you go in the water that is a different story, you are going to love this....Fl. has leases on the bottom of the ocean, $1K per plot and are fiercely guarded, they even hire spotters that sit on the beach and watch with binoculars for claim jumpers. I sold mine for lack of places to use it. If you buy one make sure to check the regulations of where they are allowed to be used. What is so ironic the leases are public info, you can look up the info on the net, name and even the lon and lat of their claim ,hence telling everyone where the wreck is. Most of the leases are held by Treasure Salvors Inc. Mel Fishers company

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Sometimes it just best to join the local metal detector club. They also buy plots and have secret places to go hunt and they know the laws of where it is legal to hunt.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Curious if there are any metal detectorists on here.
Looked into it but never made the jump - but if I had one I would definitely carry it overlanding. I do typically carry a gold pan just in case I have an opportunity to use it but I am a complete novice. I have previously taken my Tundra overlanding - I'm gonna have to pack a bit more carefully with the JKU ;) Maybe the boy and I will head up your way and we can hit the trail and learn about detecting. :)

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Looked into it but never made the jump - but if I had one I would definitely carry it overlanding. I do typically carry a gold pan just in case I have an opportunity to use it but I am a complete novice. I have previously taken my Tundra overlanding - I'm gonna have to pack a bit more carefully with the JKU ;) Maybe the boy and I will head up your way and we can hit the trail and learn about detecting. :)
Funny story, I took my Brother-in-law up to the Stanislaus River to prospect and he thought he found gold, in his hand but every time he turned it over to show me it wouldn't be there, I grab his hand and turned it back to show he was finding his ring!!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Funny story, I took my Brother-in-law up to the Stanislaus River to prospect and he thought he found gold, in his hand but every time he turned it over to show me it wouldn't be there, I grab his hand and turned it back to show he was finding his ring!!
:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: SLO Rob
T

The Raven

Resurfacing this thread :)

I have an Whites MXT nice simple and effective machine. I keep washing whether or not I'm going to bring it, but given the lack of employment I'm finding for overlanding the idea of a machine that finds money is pretty appealing. :P

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

Recently received the new Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and have to say I like it a lot. Haven't found gold with it yet but it certainly picks up lots of metal as well as hot rocks!... Hoping to get out with it again this weekend to try my luck. Its probably in the same realms as other VLF detectors such as the Fisher Gold Bug etc..... but slightly cheaper price (here in Australia anyway). :)

GOLD-MONSTER-1000-lg.jpg

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

I wish I could get to Australia. My uncle found 3 nuggets the size of your foot. The gold is unique, all poresh and wirey. The placer deposit are almost completely exposed by wind not water. So the big deal is to find a piece that resembles something and could be put directly into a setting. Super good lucks x 1 gazillon to you down under.
Thanks Jeff! I don't suppose your uncle wants to tell me where he found those nuggets!? lol.... Seems to be fair amount around on the surface but you just have to find it. Those that do here where I am from do fairly well. :)

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

He's been doing it all over the world his whole life and won't tell me anything. And when we were kids he had a small army out there digging and he even keep all that gold. He's on his last leg now so after posting the comment i called my mom and my aunt is going to get the pictures of the ones he found in austrilla because he would never do it. so i hope to post them some day.

Franck Alcidi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Darwin
Member #

He's been doing it all over the world his whole life and won't tell me anything. And when we were kids he had a small army out there digging and he even keep all that gold. He's on his last leg now so after posting the comment i called my mom and my aunt is going to get the pictures of the ones he found in austrilla because he would never do it. so i hope to post them some day.
Now that would be awesome to see mate! Hopefully before he passes he might tell you a few spots to go look at ;-)