MentalAtoms 1980 Vanagon Build

• HTML tutorial

MentalAtom

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Flitwick, Bedfordshire, UK
Member #

Probably something a little different looking at the other threads in this forum :) Last October I got myself a 1980 aircooled vanagon to go adventuring in! Since then, I've been upgrading, changing, (paying people to change), painting, lifting, and generally upgrading the vehicle so that A. it actually works and B. I can get overlanding in it ASAP (although I guess in hindsight, having spent so long on it isn't really ASAP).

Here it is!
19397156_235768596937174_8821501300565379267_n (1).jpg

What it did look like when I bought it (ugly, right?):
IMG_0893.JPG

Factory Specs:
  • 2.0 Aircooled Engine (70bhp)
  • Suspension designed for roads
  • A fear of hills
Modifications so far (external):
  • Painted it Satin NATO green (the most obvious thing)
  • Replaced all the front bushes with Powerflex bushes. The bushes that came off were so old they said "Made in West Germany" - it handles much better now
  • Replaced the ugly 17" Merc Alloys with original 14" Steel wheels
  • CampervanCulture roof bars on the back
  • New roof canvas as the old one had so many holes in it
  • Truck-style LT mirrors rather than stock mirrors
Modifications so far (internal):
  • Replaced crazy massive pink and beige seats (I'll find a pic) with stock standard brown seats
  • Replaced the awful 3-way fridge with a compressor fridge
  • Had an eberspacher fitted because it gets so cold in the UK!
Modifications in-progress (the good stuff):
  • Aircooled to watercooled conversion
  • Engine swap to a 1.8T 20V VW Engine (approx. 150bhp)
  • Suspension changed to GoWesty Fox Shocks and GoWesty lift springs (should sit about 2 inches higher at least, and not bounce like jelly)
  • Wheels changing to 15" Mercedes steels with 215/75 R15 vs the stock 185/80 R14 on BF Goodrich AT KO/2
I will dig out photos of what I can, and also update as the in-progress stuff goes on - I'm not doing it myself, an engine conversion is far, far beyond my skillset, but I should get updates.