Memorial day weekend trip ideas

• HTML tutorial

baldwinlouie

Rank I

Contributor III

This will be my first time doing an overland trip. I got my Tacoma Off-road in Dec 2018, and looking to do that first trip! I'm looking at planning a weekend trip. I will have two kids with me, plus another rig.

One idea was to hit Alabama Hills, but its a bit far from the San Francisco bay area. My friend thinks its too far and it will be crowded for Memorial day. Any thoughts?

We are also looking at other trip ideas in the Sierra's. Some other ideas that were floated are Coyote Flats, Diggins.

Since I have kids in tow, is there anything I should look out for? Should I look for trips that are closer to civilization?

Looking for ideas from the community. I'm a novice at this, but my friend in the other rig has done this a lot.

Thank you in advance for any help!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Unless you want to spend most of your time driving to a destination don't go to Alabama Hills for such a short time. I'm not sure where Coyote Flats is, but I think Diggins would be fun and scenic. It is on my list to hit. I would join you for this trip but can't make that weekend. I'm just north of you in Greenbrae, so if you have future plans let me know, as I've been to a lot of places around the state. Happy Trails! You might also want to think about joining the California 4 Wheel Drive Association. They tend to do harder core trails (and 'no' you do not need to have a jeep), but the main reason for joining is that they advocate for keeping off road trails opened.

baldwinlouie

Rank I

Contributor III

Unless you want to spend most of your time driving to a destination don't go to Alabama Hills for such a short time. I'm not sure where Coyote Flats is, but I think Diggins would be fun and scenic. It is on my list to hit. I would join you for this trip but can't make that weekend. I'm just north of you in Greenbrae, so if you have future plans let me know, as I've been to a lot of places around the state. Happy Trails! You might also want to think about joining the California 4 Wheel Drive Association. They tend to do harder core trails (and 'no' you do not need to have a jeep), but the main reason for joining is that they advocate for keeping off road trails opened.
Thanks fly boy! definitely next time.