Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Hello everyone! I'm Terry from Covington, Va and I'm a novice by all accounts. I've been camping, I'm a member of a local off-road club and we've taken weekend camping trips to places like Uwharrie, NC and Harlan, KY and tent camped but that was just me and a buddy in his F150 truggy and what we could strap to the bed. Cooking hot dogs over fires and eating pop-tarts for breakfast. However, the wife and I both enjoy camping and traveling and with 3 kids, are wanting to get them outside and enjoy the world around us more.

So, the vehicle is a 2007 Xterra S. Stock right now but some mods to come as budget allows. My wife started back to school in the fall and that's kinda cramped our budget for unnecessary vehicle mods. Not a bad start, bought it from a friend with a rebuilt transmission (SMOD) and have been doing some general maintenance to it as we go. It's my DD and I have a dedicated wheeler already (double locked K5 Blazer on 35s, clocked t-case, almost flat belly, still working on shifter/exhaust) so the Xterra will stay pretty mild.

I picked up my 3rd week of vacation at work this year (8 years) and we've decided to spend that week on the road visiting people and places we've been saying we would for a while now. I'll get into more detail about that later though. I was on ExPo but I didn't find it that nurturing to novices and found out about this forum and thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm in industrial Instrumentation as a profession at the local paper mill and grew up on a farm with a GM trained ASE certified mechanic and industrial maintenance worker for a Dad. I'm also a Ham, KJ4TOZ, as well as a general tinkerer. Hope to learn a lot and be of some use around here in the future. :sunglasses:
Welcome! Bring on the Xterras!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: TerryD

AverageTanner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Dripping Springs
Member #

Hey everyone, Tanner checking in here from Central Texas. Rig is a 1990 Toyota Pickup extended cab with the 3.0L V6 and a 5 speed tranny (only 142K but contemplating a 4.3 Chevy swap). Currently I have a commercial grade A.R.E camper on the back that I am slowly converting into a tool chest/supply box, and saving for a tent for the top (I'm a novice fabricator and will build a stout roof rack through my camper shell to house the tent). Truck has a solid axle from an '85 Yota, sitting on 35's, and many other fun things. Ultimate goal is to build this truck into the ultimate overlander and take 6 months off work to drive all the way to the southern tip of Argentina, crossing the Darien Gap along the way. This goal is years away, but hopefully there will be many short trips between.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Michael Ortega

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

McAllen, Texas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ortega
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5KMM
Hello everyone. My name's Mike and I've been overlanding in some capacity all my life. I've always appreciated road trips for the journey and not the destination. Some of my favorite adventures are the ones I thought I might not make it back from.

I'm from McAllen, Texas (the very bottom of the state) and I recently acquired a 2014 4Runner Limited and have begun modifying to suit my needs and tastes including blacking out most of the chrome and adding an LED light bar behind the grill. I can't wait to get out there and go exploring.

IMG_20170117_172435 (1).jpg

TxBlacKKat

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Marcos TX
Member #

Hello everyone! My name's Terry. I'm currently living in San Marcos TX and enjoying what adventures living so close to the hill country brings!

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, even more as I have grown up... there is something very special about the freedom of a long drive and new scenery. Meeting new friends, sharing stories and making new ones!

My rig is a 2008 Jeep Liberty named BlacKKat. It's earned this name by being cursed with some bad luck early on but it's always survived and seems to have nine lives! ;).

GeorgiaandherJeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norwalk, CT
Member #

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dan (the not so furry one in the profile picture) and am excited to have found this community. I live in Norwalk, CT with my girlfriend Liz, our adorable pup Georgia, and what used to be my and what has since become Georgia's 2008 Jeep JKU. My experience is really more in on the road than off the grid travel, but the more adventurous and off the map parts of the world have been flicking me in the ear for a while and telling me to get out and explore more. It is funny how every time you reach the summit of a mountain or a beautiful coastline it only makes you want to do it again...

I am a big believer that it doesn't matter what you drive and that it is the people you are with and the places you go that really make the trip worthwhile. Some of my favorite trips include driving my cousin's Fedex truck from Vegas to NY, camping out of a rented Fiat 500 for two weeks on a trip from Seattle to San Francisco, and the tens of thousands of miles of road my friends and I covered in my dad's Ford Van that we dubbed the Thunderdome because of how loud the uninsulated, unfinished van would get when it rained.

I am really looking forward to sharing any knowledge or help I can give, learning from the more experienced members here, and inspiring or being inspired by the community's ideas and adventures.

Here are some photos of my favorite adventures and rigs.

IMG_6910.JPG
Mario, the Fiat 500, and Liz on the Oregon coast

IMG_2522.JPG
Fully loaded Jeep on our first road trip with Georgia (the kiddie pool may have been unnecessary for her)
IMG_8685.JPG
And the trusty 2008 JKU who is about to hit 200k miles

87comanche

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

oklahoma city
Member #

Hello everyone. My name's Mike and I've been overlanding in some capacity all my life. I've always appreciated road trips for the journey and not the destination. Some of my favorite adventures are the ones I thought I might not make it back from.

I'm from McAllen, Texas (the very bottom of the state) and I recently acquired a 2014 4Runner Limited and have begun modifying to suit my needs and tastes including blacking out most of the chrome and adding an LED light bar behind the grill. I can't wait to get out there and go exploring.

View attachment 14302
welcome to the group !

Contributor I

dallas tx
Member #

HI everybody, my name is Bryce, I have a been into camping and overlanding for a while now but being a highschool student is a bit hard on some parts of it. I currently drive a 2016 TRD Pro 4runner and live in dallas texas. Happy to be joining and cant wait to learn and meet new people.
IMG_8356.JPG IMG_7855.JPG

Attachments

DuvalRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville , Florida
Member #

IMG_0194.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_0070.JPG 1B9D3967-BA26-4A98-B758-D0FDB73F8F00.jpg Hey like minded folks! My name is Austin and I live in North-East Florida. My rig is a 1988 Range Rover Classic that I have owned for 12 years. Transformed from a trailered mud truck to A Rover that Just drove 7,000 miles in 32 days from Florida to California and many places in between to do the Rubicon Trail and then drove back home to FL.

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Whats going on, everyone! Steve here out of Mesa, Arizona, USA. I recently picked up a 1987 Grand Wagoneer and am working on getting her trail ready. I don't have much experience in the "overlanding" side of life. But have done quit a bit of traditional camping and did my time in the service and did 13 months of adventuring on both foot, as-well-as in a General Dynamics Cougar. So I guess you can say I did a bit of overlanding there lol.

I hope to learn from you all, as-well-as get to know some of the local guys and gals. Cheers!!

Nice! That will be a very cool rig! Absolute classic!

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Thanks for the warm welcome.I should have my trailer done next week. I'll post some pictures of the whole "kit" next week.
As promised: (neighborhood testing of new full-articulating hitch)

Current rig:
2013 FauxLux DCSB TRD OffRoad. Purchased new so I know the history.
ICON Stage 3
Soft-Topper
Mobile and HT ham-radios with built-in GPS
Dedicated GPS unit (sending to multiple devices)
Satellite/emergency comms
FrontRunner Slimline rack with just about every accessory (many boxes, stratchits, bike trays, lights, camp-tables, etc)
Engle cooler
Very comprehensive first-aid kit (Wilderness First Responder - long time expired, but I try to stay current).
5 Gal PowerTank and down-pressure valves
Recovery and tire repair kits (still planning winch-purchase though)
Sleep system (mattress and pee-bottle) for back of truck when not pulling trailer)
Max-trax
enthusiasm
Next:
sliders
hidden winch
......whatever

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiRigo

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Detail of trailer:
30" Radial TA KO2's, 18"clearance, 300 watt solar with storage, 800# load, "clamshell" opens into huge tent (can sleep 6 if had too), otherwise can sleep 2 with table between, or stow table to make single large bed for 4 (King and a half).

Attachments

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT

Current rig:
2013 FauxLux DCSB TRD OffRoad. Purchased new so I know the history.
ICON Stage 3
Soft-Topper
Mobile and HT ham-radios with built-in GPS
Dedicated GPS unit (sending to multiple devices)
Satellite/emergency comms
FrontRunner Slimline rack with just about every accessory (many boxes, stratchits, bike trays, lights, camp-tables, etc)
Engle cooler
Very comprehensive first-aid kit (Wilderness First Responder - long time expired, but I try to stay current).
5 Gal PowerTank and down-pressure valves
Recovery and tire repair kits (still planning winch-purchase though)
Sleep system (mattress and pee-bottle) for back of truck when not pulling trailer)
Max-trax
enthusiasm
Next:
sliders
hidden winch
......whatever
Oh yeah, and a couple of sweet OB medallions, one on typical drivers-side placement on truck, one on back of trailer (so everyone who wished they were going adventuring, can see and dream.

PHX13

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Greetings,

I go by a few different names on different forums, but I'm Rob, and I live in AZ a little southeast of Phoenix. Haven't been overlanding long, I'd say 9 months or so. My rig is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Prerunner. It is a 2wd, but is a TRD O/R and has a locker. Wish that I had bought a 4WD, but it is what it is. I feel decently capable with my Tacoma and I have put 57k miles on it in 15 months of owning it. Plenty of family trips, camping trips, etc. I love taking road trips, and most things in the outdoors that I would need my truck for, and am happy to have this truck and to be able to share these times with my family.