Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Whats going on, everyone! Steve here out of Mesa, Arizona, USA. I recently picked up a 1987 Grand Wagoneer and am working on getting her trail ready. I don't have much experience in the "overlanding" side of life. But have done quit a bit of traditional camping and did my time in the service and did 13 months of adventuring on both foot, as-well-as in a General Dynamics Cougar. So I guess you can say I did a bit of overlanding there lol.

I hope to learn from you all, as-well-as get to know some of the local guys and gals. Cheers!!

Welcome Steve! That's a very cool Grand Wagoneer, I've always loved them.

Reactions: Polaris Overland
R

roverpaul

Hello - I got here somewhat by accident... I previously drove a '99 Escalade as my daily driver which recently deteriorated to the point where I urgently needed to replace it. I searched high and low for a 4Runner but they are going for a premium in my area so I found a Discovery 2 (with relatively low miles) which the previous owner had invested in suspension, tires, rack, lights, and bumpers. Now I'm learning about the world of Land Rover's and especially the Discovery 2. Looking forward to connecting with OB folks in my area.

1) Picture: Attached (and as soon as I have one off pavement I'll update :grimacing:)
2) Snohomish County, WA
3) Land Rover Discovery 2, 2001
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice

Attachments

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Hi all, my name is Alex from Brooklyn, NY. I've always had an adventurous spirit and love to camp, hike, sail and generally be outside whenever possible.

I'm entirely new to the OB scene, and plan to document my entire transition from a stock vehicle (2013 Subaru Forester) to an 'adventure vehicle'. My goal is to be able to explore the country and camp & hike in remote locations which an all wheel drive vehicle can take me and the family to. Getting stuck won't be my goal, but I'll build out my vehicle fully prepared for when that inevitably happens.

I hope to meet some experienced people over time and learn to explore safely, and have great fun in the process.

Cheers to all.

P.S. Photo of my entirely stock vehicle for reference below, with only the addition of winter tires and steel wheels for general safety this winter. I'll start a thread for a vehicle build at some point and keep track of what I do to SilverSubi as the days go by.

Attachments

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hi all, my name is Alex from Brooklyn, NY. I've always had an adventurous spirit and love to camp, hike, sail and generally be outside whenever possible.

I'm entirely new to the OB scene, and plan to document my entire transition from a stock vehicle (2013 Subaru Forester) to an 'adventure vehicle'. My goal is to be able to explore the country and camp & hike in remote locations which an all wheel drive vehicle can take me and the family to. Getting stuck won't be my goal, but I'll build out my vehicle fully prepared for when that inevitably happens.

I hope to meet some experienced people over time and learn to explore safely, and have great fun in the process.

Cheers to all.

P.S. Photo of my entirely stock vehicle for reference below, with only the addition of winter tires and steel wheels for general safety this winter. I'll start a thread for a vehicle build at some point and keep track of what I do to SilverSubi as the days go by.
Welcome to the group Alex,

Reactions: finlayforprez

hellafools

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bay Area
Member #

Hi all,

I'm MJ. I stumbled onto overlanding (and probably the idea of 4x4) because I originally wanted to get a rooftop box for my Subaru. One thing led to another and I dug myself into a deep, deep hole.

1. Photos (still waiting..)
2. Bay Area, California
3. Currently driving a 2012 Subaru Impreza, but have a 2017 Toyota 4Runner TRDP on "order" for an early March delivery date.
4. Experience? Novice.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
California native here, but grew up in London England. Have been living in NYC and Detroit for the last 20 years. Not new to adventure, camping and overlanding but new to OB and my 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams that I've had for about a year… Since I purchased this guy I've made many upgrades (most not pictured but I'll start a build/rig thread sometime soon) and have visited 29 National Parks and tons of trails in many fun areas like Ouray and Moab. Happy to be here :)

A warm welcome to the group!

Reactions: racerx and ASNOBODY

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Hi, My name is Lee. Decided to join up here to find more local adventure. Based out of NJ.

I have a wife, Meg, and a daughter named Ashlyn. I started to get back into camping to have good experiences with my family and teach my daughter what I learned as a kid.

We have a 2012 F150 ecoboost that I have been building up to handle our overlanding needs.

Attachments

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Hey guys. I'm Ken and I just got me a 2016 JKU late last year. I'm here in the cold state of MN (raining in middle of Jan). My wife and I always wanted a Jeep since 10yrs ago, just right after we bought a Ford F150 and seeing all Jeeps in the trails of CO. The F150 served us quite well in our many camping trips, both here in MN and trips west to CO and SD. It did minor trails and earned enough trail damange to gain some street creds. And the rig was especially needed for a motorcycle racing hobby back when i had no kids. Zoom now, finally it's due for a new rig so no question it was the Jeep for us (Tacoma was the only next choice).

The nice thing about the Jeep is i can do whatever i want to do it, but it will primarily serve as our camping vehicle and trail excursions -- which i just came to now understand as what we call 'overlanding'. I plan to slowly build it up with that in mind, so on the way is a roof rack followed by an RTT. The end goal is a mild build -- I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible.

Pic -- snowy pic as of today
IMG_7182.JPG

Experience - Intermediate camper, novice Overlander. I've done a bit of trails but will need more hours.

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Hello everyone. My name is Mac. I'm from Covington, WA. I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon along with a Jackwagon Offroad trailer with a CVT RTT. I just recently got into overlanding the past year and am enjoying it immensely! Look forward to learning from all of you here.

Welcome Mac! I grew up in east Kent/Maple Valley! I went to Tahoma High! My Daughter went to Kentwood.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Hello - I got here somewhat by accident... I previously drove a '99 Escalade as my daily driver which recently deteriorated to the point where I urgently needed to replace it. I searched high and low for a 4Runner but they are going for a premium in my area so I found a Discovery 2 (with relatively low miles) which the previous owner had invested in suspension, tires, rack, lights, and bumpers. Now I'm learning about the world of Land Rover's and especially the Discovery 2. Looking forward to connecting with OB folks in my area.

1) Picture: Attached (and as soon as I have one off pavement I'll update :grimacing:)
2) Snohomish County, WA
3) Land Rover Discovery 2, 2001
4) Overlanding Experience Background: Novice
Welcome to the group! I have an older brother that lives in Snohomish!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SureNSteady

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Branson, MO, Branson, MO, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
D
Member #

Greets,
My name is Steve and I am from Oklahoma City I drive a modded 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r Limited and pull a TCTeardrops 5X10 Trailer. I'm experienced at overlanding using car/tent camping. but just recently upgraded to pulling an offroad teardrop trailer IMG_5768.JPG(loving it).

Outback Mods:
+2" Anderson Design & Fab lift
+3" RalliTeck overload springs on the rear and soon some offroadsubaru.com front +1.5" springs.
Primitive Racing full body armor kit (skid, mid and diff)
Rolla roof basket and extension
Yakima spare tire mount and bike mount on basket
ARB Awning
ARB Bushranger X-Jack
Air compressor and recovery tools
Lamin-X Fog lens covers
LED bulbs everywhere I could put them
Full 30% tint
Subaru WRX wheels (17") with oversized BFG KO2 245/65 tires and full size spare
Toklift Central EcoHitch
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller
7pin/4pin trailer lighting/braking connector and wiring
modified rear control and trailing arms (beefed up with welded bar stock)
CUSTOM DESERT PINSTRIPING! +5XP

2016 TCTeardrops Custom 5x10 trailer (bought their demo model)
Off Road Extreme Package (upgraded torsion axle, bigger wheels/tires, Jeep fenders and LockNRoll articulating hitch)
Foxwing awning
Rhinorack SunseekerAwning with Base Tent
Yakima Road Warrior with extension
Hi-Lift Patriot
80W solar with controller, batt, 12V system
LED Rock lights
LED roof flood ligts
Rotopax X4 for H2O and x2 for Gas
Yakima shovel/axe mounts
60" Aluminum toolbox
5G Solar RoadShower on rack
12V fan
Mr. Heater Buddy propane spaceheater
75Q Grizzly Cooler
Cutlery Drawer
l10V shore power outlet
Leveling Jacks and hitch steps all around

IMG_8193.JPG

The84Shula

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
M.
Member #

1575952.jpg 1595764.jpg Hello OB Community, my name is Andrew and I am currently using a 1984 Vanagon Westfalia for my overlanding needs. I live outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia and I have seemingly dumped every dime I have into my rig since getting it in 2012. It is slowly transitioning from a standard Westfalia to a light terrain Overlanding, self sustained rig for me and my family.

#TheShula

My upgrades to date:

• 2.2 EJ22 Subaru Engine with RMW Kit
  • 160W Monocrystalline Solar Panel
  • 30w Tracer MPPT Controller
  • Xantrex HF1000
  • TF65 Fridge
  • Mercedes wheels with 215/75/R15 BFG K02 (not pictured)
  • Rotopax fuel storage
  • Hella Driving Lights
  • 1985 HP350 trailer
  • Truck mirrors, Full LED Kit, and thousands of dollars in other cool/useless stuff.

Last edited: