Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hey Everyone!

New to the overland game. Ever since childhood, I've always been more/less and outdoorsy person. College, I got my first mountain bike and hit up the local trails, and ever since then I've been hooked to the dirt in one form or another.

Currently have a 2003 Nissan Frontier, and all the years it's been kind to me, and now my wife and 2 kids. Pandemic got us to truly appreciate the outdoors (I'm sure we're not the only ones!), but alas, the miles have taken its toll on the engine, so we had to replace it with a 2015 Tacoma. Our last days with the Nissan are numbered; we'll officially say our goodbyes on Sunday at the local CarMax.

So - that said - the Taco is currently all-stock. No need to post pictures of it when you can just google "2015 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Sport". Looking forward to hearing/learning about overlanding life, and what we can do to our new family rig to extend our camping trips to last more than a few days!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hey Everyone!

New to the overland game. Ever since childhood, I've always been more/less and outdoorsy person. College, I got my first mountain bike and hit up the local trails, and ever since then I've been hooked to the dirt in one form or another.

Currently have a 2003 Nissan Frontier, and all the years it's been kind to me, and now my wife and 2 kids. Pandemic got us to truly appreciate the outdoors (I'm sure we're not the only ones!), but alas, the miles have taken its toll on the engine, so we had to replace it with a 2015 Tacoma. Our last days with the Nissan are numbered; we'll officially say our goodbyes on Sunday at the local CarMax.

So - that said - the Taco is currently all-stock. No need to post pictures of it when you can just google "2015 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Sport". Looking forward to hearing/learning about overlanding life, and what we can do to our new family rig to extend our camping trips to last more than a few days!
Hello Rommel and welcome to Overland Bound!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hey Everyone!

WELCOME to Overland Bound!

Reactions: Kent R and Shahn

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Hello all,

My name is Chris Harrell and I’m currently a resident of Midland, Texas. I’ve been stalking the forum for a while now but never got around to doing the whole introduction thing so here it goes. I am new to overlanding but not to wheeling. I used to be into the slow crawling Jeeps (LS powered YJ on tons) but a wife and 2 kids later, I decided that I’d like to do something a little more inclusive of the family. That brings me to where I’m at now.

I thought about equipping my wife’s 2017 Sequoia but I wanted to keep size and maneuverability in mind so I searched and found a really clean 2007 1st gen Sequoia limited in Augusta GA so I snagged it. It’s a smooth reliable rig so far and is bone stock.

I have already purchased a lift, lockers, BFF rear bumper and sliders but I already have another project truck taking up the bay in my shop so installing those goodies may have to wait a bit. I’ll throw up a build thread when I do though.

I look forward to exploring neighboring New Mexico and meeting like minded folks and families within the overlanding community.

Attachments

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello all,

My name is Chris Harrell and I’m currently a resident of Midland, Texas. I’ve been stalking the forum for a while now but never got around to doing the whole introduction thing so here it goes. I am new to overlanding but not to wheeling. I used to be into the slow crawling Jeeps (LS powered YJ on tons) but a wife and 2 kids later, I decided that I’d like to do something a little more inclusive of the family. That brings me to where I’m at now.

I thought about equipping my wife’s 2017 Sequoia but I wanted to keep size and maneuverability in mind so I searched and found a really clean 2007 1st gen Sequoia limited in Augusta GA so I snagged it. It’s a smooth reliable rig so far and is bone stock.

I have already purchased a lift, lockers, BFF rear bumper and sliders but I already have another project truck taking up the bay in my shop so installing those goodies may have to wait a bit. I’ll throw up a build thread when I do though.

I look forward to exploring neighboring New Mexico and meeting like minded folks and families within the overlanding community.
Hello Chris and welcome to Overland Bound!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Scott (@scotticus ) welcome from Oklahoma. I see you are a ham as well. Check out the Communication section and feel free to join in on the weekly Friday evening Echolink net.
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 00:30 UTC

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

Check the WMRA web page for linked repeaters, talk groups, etc.

I am none of the SW Region Member Reps however @Roots66 is your closest rep and will be around shortly I am sure with some new member information/links and local meet up info.

igobyjoe

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Rommel
Last Name
Cuevas
Hey Everyone!

OK - now that I've formally introduced myself - can someone please point me in the right direction of lift kit suggestions?

With rather limited choices available for 1st gen Nissan Frontiers, I ended up getting a 3" Rancho kit for my soon-to-be-retired rig. Although it did in fact give me the lift, I wasn't very impressed with its ride quality. We could feel almost all the bumps/cracks on the freeway; they felt really stiff, and I kept thinking they'd just need a "breaking in" period. Got the kit installed April 2019, and to this day, they never felt like they got any softer.

Getting a Tacoma, I've found that there are DOZENS more aftermarket upgrades commercially available than for Frontiers. Lifting it is the 1st of many upgrades I plan on doing. I was able to test drive a used rig w/ King shocks; those felt GREAT, and I felt why they were so expensive on that test run. I want to start researching which brand will give me the best bang for my [limited] buck.

Thanks in advance!!

Marangatang94

Rank IV

Contributor III

Decatur, GA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Maranga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4TMA
Heya,

Recent subscriber to Overland Bound, OB#29081. I'm based out of North Decatur, Georgia. I've started building out a new to me 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. All that's been added at the moment are some new Falken Wildpeak rubber, hitch mount Body Armor skid plate/recovery point, a pair of 3 color led low beam bulbs, and a handheld HAM/CB radio system. Planning on building a unistrut safari rack for it, trimming the bumper, installing a set of Dobinsons Lift Springs for a little more ground clearance, and fabricating anything else I'd need such as underbody protection, full size spare carrier, etc. Newer to overlanding but have done a good amount of camping, backpacking, and cross-country driving. Looking forward to learning from the rest of the members!

Attachments

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hello all,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Heya,

Recent subscriber to Overland Bound, OB#29081. I'm based out of North Decatur, Georgia. I've started building out a new to me 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. All that's been added at the moment are some new Falken Wildpeak rubber, hitch mount Body Armor skid plate/recovery point, a pair of 3 color led low beam bulbs, and a handheld HAM/CB radio system. Planning on building a unistrut safari rack for it, trimming the bumper, installing a set of Dobinsons Lift Springs for a little more ground clearance, and fabricating anything else I'd need such as underbody protection, full size spare carrier, etc. Newer to overlanding but have done a good amount of camping, backpacking, and cross-country driving. Looking forward to learning from the rest of the members!
Welocme to Overland Bound

OVRLNDX

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Del Rio, TX, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Overfelt
Member #

Hello all!
Josh here. Southwest Texas area. Been camping since I was a toddler, now sharing that passion with my kids.
2014 Xterra PRO4X, Roofnest Condor XL RTT along with a 2020 Rockwood 2280 ESP off-road pop up. Love backcountry camping in Big Bend NP and all over NM, CO and UT.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hello all!
Josh here. Southwest Texas area. Been camping since I was a toddler, now sharing that passion with my kids.
2014 Xterra PRO4X, Roofnest Condor XL RTT along with a 2020 Rockwood 2280 ESP off-road pop up. Love backcountry camping in Big Bend NP and all over NM, CO and UT.
WELCOME oh to be so close to Big Bend. see you out on the trails!

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Greetings OB people ! Name's Brendan and I live in North Carolina. Been all over this great country, but never overlanding ... Gotta change that fast !

I'm doing some mods to my '19 4Runner Off Road and plan on hitting some trails in AZ in November.
Greetings Brendan! Welcome to OB

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey Everyone!

Hello Rommel, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello all,

Hello Chris, welcome to Overland Bound.