freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello all. Checking in from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Myself, the old lady and our 2 year old are starting to get into camping and just generally being outdoors more lately. We have a ‘07 4Runner that’s getting a little lift and tires in the next week or so, and a ‘12 Tundra that already has 35’s and a level. Planning to make both of them pretty capable off-road so we can travel and camp out of them both. Experience pretty much consists of nothing but occasionally driving off roads a little ways to get to a hunting area, so we’re learning everything we can.
Hello Jake, welcome to Overland Bound.

Reactions: Kent R

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey all!
My name is Ryan, I have a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser and my wife has a 2006 Lexus lx470. I enjoy doing all of my own work and maintenance on both. I've kept the LC healthy and running up to 230,000 for the last 6 years. We have a Colorado Teardrop Summit trailer that we try and use often. My wife and I were avid backpackers until we had our 2 kids ( 1 year old and 3 year old) and now we try to find camping away from normal reservation only campgrounds. I also enjoy rock climbing and spear fishing. We live in Atascadero, CA and work for my wife's family business as a printer in San Luis Obispo. I hope to add fun locations and info to the community with our adventures and can't wait to meet some of you on the trail!
Hello Ryan, welcome to Overland Bound. Please change your address to just your home town, never a good idea to put your full address out on the web.

Drom100

Rank I

Contributor III

Atascadero, California, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Drom
Hey all!
My name is Ryan, I have a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser and my wife has a 2006 Lexus lx470. I enjoy doing all of my own work and maintenance on both. I've kept the LC healthy and running up to 230,000 for the last 6 years. We have a Colorado Teardrop Summit trailer that we try and use often. My wife and I were avid backpackers until we had our 2 kids ( 1 year old and 3 year old) and now we try to find camping away from normal reservation only campgrounds. I also enjoy rock climbing and spear fishing. We live in Atascadero, CA and work for my wife's family business as a printer in San Luis Obispo. I hope to add fun locations and info to the community with our adventures and can't wait to meet some of you on the trail!
Hello Ryan, welcome to Overland Bound. Please change your address to just your home town, never a good idea to put your full address out on the web.
Thanks for the heads up! Must have auto filled.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all. Checking in from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Myself, the old lady and our 2 year old are starting to get into camping and just generally being outdoors more lately. We have a ‘07 4Runner that’s getting a little lift and tires in the next week or so, and a ‘12 Tundra that already has 35’s and a level. Planning to make both of them pretty capable off-road so we can travel and camp out of them both. Experience pretty much consists of nothing but occasionally driving off roads a little ways to get to a hunting area, so we’re learning everything we can.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @JRElaxED and @Zombie
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Intro time... Slax here, based in metro ATL currently. Love travel camping while playing in the mud and was searching for some new trails and places to do some extended travel based camping adventures, which led me here. It appears I am in good company. We go up north here in GA almost every weekend (often ending in TN or NC), and plan a couple longer adventures through the year so if anyone wants to hit a trail let me know.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
Online Courses - Tread Lightly

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all!
Welcome to Overland Bound Ryan
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Overland Expo West
About WEST — Overland Expo®

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Guess I should do one of them thar intro messages. I was originally debating on just joining the forums until I get a little further along my plans or just go all in, took the latter.

Jason, currently based in Memphis, TN with a shiny new WK2 that I'm aiming to equip as something of a light stealth overland vehicle. Yeah, I know, sounds strange. For the Cliff's Notes version, this is a daily driver vehicle, along for some highway trips and the like, so first priority was comfort (hence the WK2 over a JL). The stealth part comes in as my goal is to equip is such that it still looks pretty stock (Chief front guard for example, and working on some ideas for an easy to remove drawer system) so that it looks like your average mall crawler but has what it needs underneath. :)

The last time I did anything resembling camping was the proverbial pull campground pull the car up and pitch a tent stuff. My goal is by early next year to be doing some at least dispersed camping, with an ultimate goal of doing some overlanding out west. That may be a bit further, but I'm starting to look for ideas now. So... here I am.

That said, also hoping to find some semi local folks to help with education along the way.
Welcome To Overland Bound Jason
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Hank Outdoors, great guy and a wealth of overland knowledge. Hank also leads some trips in TN
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey vogts,

my name is Tobias, 33 years old, or young - yepp young is the better choice-
I live in Germany and always was a car guy.

Worked as a car salesman first, the last 10 years I am service team member and take care of my customer's cars.

I love nature, till now I enjoy it while I am out on a hunt.

In future, my girl and I want to travel the world with our car.

This is why I am here. To get in touch with other people who love this way of life and to gather some inspirations for my rig.

Until now, my Rig - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2CRD - is bone stock.

I am happy to be here.

Best regards

Tobias
Welcome to Overland Bound Tobias
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @El-Dracho
Your Regional Director is @Robert OB 33/48 for additional help or information.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: TangoRomeo7688

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Guess I should do one of them thar intro messages. I was originally debating on just joining the forums until I get a little further along my plans or just go all in, took the latter.

Jason, currently based in Memphis, TN with a shiny new WK2 that I'm aiming to equip as something of a light stealth overland vehicle. Yeah, I know, sounds strange. For the Cliff's Notes version, this is a daily driver vehicle, along for some highway trips and the like, so first priority was comfort (hence the WK2 over a JL). The stealth part comes in as my goal is to equip is such that it still looks pretty stock (Chief front guard for example, and working on some ideas for an easy to remove drawer system) so that it looks like your average mall crawler but has what it needs underneath. :)

The last time I did anything resembling camping was the proverbial pull campground pull the car up and pitch a tent stuff. My goal is by early next year to be doing some at least dispersed camping, with an ultimate goal of doing some overlanding out west. That may be a bit further, but I'm starting to look for ideas now. So... here I am.

That said, also hoping to find some semi local folks to help with education along the way.
Hello Jason, welcome to the OB family. I like the concept you are going with and look forward to seeing the results.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey all!
Hello Ryan, welcome to the OB family. Your kids are going to have a great time going on all your adventures.

Reactions: Kent R and Drom100

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Intro time... Slax here, based in metro ATL currently. Love travel camping while playing in the mud and was searching for some new trails and places to do some extended travel based camping adventures, which led me here. It appears I am in good company. We go up north here in GA almost every weekend (often ending in TN or NC), and plan a couple longer adventures through the year so if anyone wants to hit a trail let me know.
Hello Slax, welcome to the OB family. Always good places to visit in the Smoky Mountain area.

Reactions: Kent R and slax

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Jake, welcome to the OB family. Sounds like you are well on your way to lots of great adventures.

SeabeeVet

Rank IV

Advocate III

Freeport, Florida, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Chastain
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Welcome to Overland Bound
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region. You are in the Northwest Region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Thanks you so much for this information

CharleyDublin

Rank I

Contributor I

Jacksonville, FL 32202, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Dublin
Member #

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
OK gang, I'll bite. I'm an old "Jarhead" that has spent most of his adult life abroad for the past fifty years operating in one "shi##y" place or another. I'm used to being "expeditionary," however I no longer feel inclined to practice being miserable. I'm getting ready to again go expeditionary so I joined this forum.

CharleyDublin

Rank I

Contributor I

Jacksonville, FL 32202, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Dublin
Member #

I will answer each of the "introduction" points in turn as I am able:
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. - OK
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously. - Agreed
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you. - Absolutely
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack. - Absolutely, however, failure to not possess the right equipment for the adventure is NOT an excuse!
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. - We all know what ASSUME actually implies?
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information. - not a problem if I define you as friendly, otherwise it can get complicated....
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely. - 100% agreement
  • We do not care about make or model. - 100% agreement
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions. - Agree
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge. - Essential, however, "I don't know" is the usual response
  • Humility. - hard for a retired mustang Marine (not our basic culture) but acquired out of the necessity of surviving in an otherwise hostile world.... lol
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature. - I have to say if you "respect" nature, there is no need to fear... we protect nature as we protect ourselves
  • "I don't know" is a great answer. - Absolute agreement
  • We don’t brag about exploits. - accurate, unemotional/non-self-aggrandizing descriptions of the who, what, when, where, and how is enough.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know. - Absolutely
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions. - not sure what you mean but I can attest that, however brief, interactions with others can be life changing events.
In summary, my #2 daughter is an ardent "overlander" currently residing in Colorado and loving every minute of it. I'm in transition (soon to be 70 and not yet ready to slow down) so I'm joining the adventure.

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Hey guys, I am located in El Dorado Hills, CA by Sacramento super close to the Tahoe National Forest, and a tone of public trails.
My rig is a G-Wagon and I'll upgrade suspension and tires just in the next two weeks.
I am born close to the black forest is Germany and have been since 2011 in the United States. My father is a hunter so I was off roading in forests and mountains early on. I had a VW synchro back in Germany and was hiking and skiing with my best buddies all the time. The G-Class was always a dream of mine and I materialized it now for my overlanding dreams in CA. It for a little lift, öhlins shocks, and 33" A/T tired and I call her Edelweiß. Edelweiß, is a white mountain flower belonging to the daisy or sunflower family Asteraceae. The plant prefers rocky limestone places at about 1,800–3,000 metres altitude.
Following picture is still with 22" wheel, while it will have 18" in two weeks. I was off roading even with the 22" street tires and Edelweiß ist just amazing off road. Love it and love it even more with buddies as a crew.

Attachments

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
OK gang, I'll bite. I'm an old "Jarhead" that has spent most of his adult life abroad for the past fifty years operating in one "shi##y" place or another. I'm used to being "expeditionary," however I no longer feel inclined to practice being miserable. I'm getting ready to again go expeditionary so I joined this forum.
Hello Charles, welcome to Overland Bound. Thank you for your service. This type of travel/expedition should be for leisure and fun and being comfortable.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey guys, I am located in El Dorado Hills, CA by Sacramento super close to the Tahoe National Forest, and a tone of public trails.
My rig is a G-Wagon and I'll upgrade suspension and tires just in the next two weeks.
I am born close to the black forest is Germany and have been since 2011 in the United States. My father is a hunter so I was off roading in forests and mountains early on. I had a VW synchro back in Germany and was hiking and skiing with my best buddies all the time. The G-Class was always a dream of mine and I materialized it now for my overlanding dreams in CA. It for a little lift, öhlins shocks, and 33" A/T tired and I call her Edelweiß. Edelweiß, is a white mountain flower belonging to the daisy or sunflower family Asteraceae. The plant prefers rocky limestone places at about 1,800–3,000 metres altitude.
Following picture is still with 22" wheel, while it will have 18" in two weeks. I was off roading even with the 22" street tires and Edelweiß ist just amazing off road. Love it and love it even more with buddies as a crew.
Hello Frank, welcome to Overland Bound.

Reactions: OBB and Kent R

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I will answer each of the "introduction" points in turn as I am able:
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. - OK
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously. - Agreed
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you. - Absolutely
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack. - Absolutely, however, failure to not possess the right equipment for the adventure is NOT an excuse!
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. - We all know what ASSUME actually implies?
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information. - not a problem if I define you as friendly, otherwise it can get complicated....
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely. - 100% agreement
  • We do not care about make or model. - 100% agreement
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions. - Agree
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge. - Essential, however, "I don't know" is the usual response
  • Humility. - hard for a retired mustang Marine (not our basic culture) but acquired out of the necessity of surviving in an otherwise hostile world.... lol
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature. - I have to say if you "respect" nature, there is no need to fear... we protect nature as we protect ourselves
  • "I don't know" is a great answer. - Absolute agreement
  • We don’t brag about exploits. - accurate, unemotional/non-self-aggrandizing descriptions of the who, what, when, where, and how is enough.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know. - Absolutely
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions. - not sure what you mean but I can attest that, however brief, interactions with others can be life changing events.
In summary, my #2 daughter is an ardent "overlander" currently residing in Colorado and loving every minute of it. I'm in transition (soon to be 70 and not yet ready to slow down) so I'm joining the adventure.
Hello Charles, welcome to Overland Bound. Thank you for your service. Again. :)