Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi All overlanders

My name is Gammal 39yrs old. New to community I have a 99 Gen2 Shogun named JAM and Shar pei named Jazmin who is 3yrs old and my wonder girlfriend Fiona 38yrs . We are based in Surrey Dorking UK. But we are both originally from Birmingham UK

We are currently just finishing of our build and getting the last of it sorted. Our build in our back is is 100% us. We thought doing it ourselves would feel more accomplishing.
We hope to meet fellow overlanders and even plan trips away together.
Welcome to Overland Bound Gammal
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @professorpool
Your Regional Director is Dave @Polaris Overland for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi everyone. My name's Zach. I'm an avid hiker, and formerly being a fabricator (never car-related though), have always been into nice rigs. Was introduced to overlanding recently, and got completely hooked.

Located in Central NJ (frequently commuting to Northern OH).

Don't have a rig yet for overlanding (I'm starting a welding business in the near future, thought I could go adventures with the truck too).

I am totally new to overlanding (though I've hauled with trucks and know how to weld, if that counts as any experience), and could definitely use some good advice on where to start!
Hello Zach, welcome to the OB family. You don't need a built rig or tons of gear to start. Any good, reliable vehicle will get you where you want to go as long as you respect its limits and your skill level. The best "mod" is knowledge.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everyone. My name's Zach. I'm an avid hiker, and formerly being a fabricator (never car-related though), have always been into nice rigs. Was introduced to overlanding recently, and got completely hooked.

Located in Central NJ (frequently commuting to Northern OH).

Don't have a rig yet for overlanding (I'm starting a welding business in the near future, thought I could go adventures with the truck too).

I am totally new to overlanding (though I've hauled with trucks and know how to weld, if that counts as any experience), and could definitely use some good advice on where to start!
Welcome to Overland Bound Zach
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hi All overlanders

My name is Gammal 39yrs old. New to community I have a 99 Gen2 Shogun named JAM and Shar pei named Jazmin who is 3yrs old and my wonder girlfriend Fiona 38yrs . We are based in Surrey Dorking UK. But we are both originally from Birmingham UK

We are currently just finishing of our build and getting the last of it sorted. Our build in our back is is 100% us. We thought doing it ourselves would feel more accomplishing.
We hope to meet fellow overlanders and even plan trips away together.
Hello Gammal, welcome to the OB family.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Overlanders,

My name is Adam and I have been intrested in overlanding for awhile, but felt like I needed a bunch of fancy equipment. I have always been into camping, but I really grew tired of all the places that most people go to pay to camp. I realized that even though I don't have all the fancy overlanding equipment I do have enough camping gear and a 4 wheel drive truck. So I decided it is time to get out there and work with what I have for now. I live in the North Snohomish County area of Washington State. So if anyone can recommend places in that area that would be great for my first outting I would love to hear from you.
Welcome to Overland Bound
Your Regional Director is @M Rose for additional help or information.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region. You are in the Northwest Region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello!
My name is Noah

New to overlanding but not new to camping or cars, so its only natural that I combined the two into a new hobby!

Located: Mooresville, IN
“Rig”: 2021 Honda Passport AWD (modifications planned for the near future)
Overlanding experience: is zilch.

Very excited to see where this hobby takes me and who I meet along the way!
Welcome to Overland Bound Noah
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @Mike W. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Ohio Valley Overland

Reactions: NellyT77

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes
Hello Zach, welcome to Overland Bound. Start with a vehicle, whatever you have will work, just getting out and starting is all that you need to begin your memories. Glad you are here.
Thanks! Glad as well to be here.

Uh... I drive a 2019 Corolla. What I think I need is a rig that can handle forest trails (and occasional river crossings and rocky terrain).

I read up a bit on the subject on off-roading and what it takes. Where should I post my "plan" so I could get some input (and yes, criticism) from experts?

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes

Uh... I drive a 2019 Corolla. What I think I need is a rig that can handle forest trails (and occasional river crossings and rocky terrain).

I read up a bit on the subject on off-roading and what it takes. Where should I post my "plan" so I could get some input (and yes, criticism) from experts?
I also have a ton of questions too.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

I also have a ton of questions too.
You are actually not the only one using a non-off-road vehicle. There's someone in NC driving a Honda Civic, another in Norway with a Ford Focus, and even someone from California with a Nissan 350Z, just to name a few. I, myself, have actually overlanded in the past (before I even knew it was a thing) in such vehicles as a Mercedes E300 and Ford Mustang GT.

The entire premise of Overland Bound is "It doesn't matter what you drive". Overlanding is not off-roading, river crossing, or rock crawling. You certainly can do those things while overlanding, but it's not the end game. If you are new to the whole concept, just go out to some nice maintained forest roads and set up camp. Get used to the camping and exploring part first. Enjoy nature and what it has to offer. The "off-roading" part will come later.

If you want to post plans about what "rig" you have/want to use and build, I suggest you start with the Overland Rigs section. There is a Build thread as well as a Small Rigs thread. If you are so inclined, you might even want to begin an Overland Cars thread, since it seams there are quite a few folks on here with non-off-road vehicles.

If you want ideas on gear, try the Overland Gear section. There's also a new thread called Beginner Overland Q&A, where you just ask your questions and our experienced community of worldwide overlanders offer their perspective and advice.

And, by the way, if someone can do this, you should be just fine.

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes
You are actually not the only one using a non-off-road vehicle. There's someone in NC driving a Honda Civic, another in Norway with a Ford Focus, and even someone from California with a Nissan 350Z, just to name a few. I, myself, have actually overlanded in the past (before I even knew it was a thing) in such vehicles as a Mercedes E300 and Ford Mustang GT.

The entire premise of Overland Bound is "It doesn't matter what you drive". Overlanding is not off-roading, river crossing, or rock crawling. You certainly can do those things while overlanding, but it's not the end game. If you are new to the whole concept, just go out to some nice maintained forest roads and set up camp. Get used to the camping and exploring part first. Enjoy nature and what it has to offer. The "off-roading" part will come later.

If you want to post plans about what "rig" you have/want to use and build, I suggest you start with the Overland Rigs section. There is a Build thread as well as a Small Rigs thread. If you are so inclined, you might even want to begin an Overland Cars thread, since it seams there are quite a few folks on here with non-off-road vehicles.

If you want ideas on gear, try the Overland Gear section. There's also a new thread called Beginner Overland Q&A, where you just ask your questions and our experienced community of worldwide overlanders offer their perspective and advice.

And, by the way, if someone can do this, you should be just fine.
I've heard the expression "The best rig to overland is with what you already own". There's a lot of truth to what you're saying.

I've done camping and exploring as long as I can remember (since I was 6 years old, in the Allegheny Mountains). Sure, there are plenty of easily accessible places I could just park the car and continue on foot, but I've done that for nearly 2 decades (okay, not the parking the car part).

What I want is the additional experience of reaching places I'd never imagine going before, and being fully prepared.

Thanks for the leads, I'll check out those Threads!

Reactions: Kent R and roots66

TangoRomeo7688

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wadern, Deutschland
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
Ripperger
Hey vogts,

my name is Tobias, 33 years old, or young - yepp young is the better choice-
I live in Germany and always was a car guy.

Worked as a car salesman first, the last 10 years I am service team member and take care of my customer's cars.

I love nature, till now I enjoy it while I am out on a hunt.

In future, my girl and I want to travel the world with our car.

This is why I am here. To get in touch with other people who love this way of life and to gather some inspirations for my rig.

Until now, my Rig - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2CRD - is bone stock.

I am happy to be here.

Best regards

Tobias

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey vogts,

Worked as a car salesman first, the last 10 years I am service team member and take care of my customer's cars.

This is why I am here. To get in touch with other people who love this way of life and to gather some inspirations for my rig.

I am happy to be here.

Best regards

Tobias
Hello Tobias, welcome to the OB family. Even a bone stock Rubicon will get you where you need to go. Enjoy!!!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

NSXtra (on Instagram and such) drives an Acura NSX with a custom NSX trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NellyT77 and Kent R

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Guess I should do one of them thar intro messages. I was originally debating on just joining the forums until I get a little further along my plans or just go all in, took the latter.

Jason, currently based in Memphis, TN with a shiny new WK2 that I'm aiming to equip as something of a light stealth overland vehicle. Yeah, I know, sounds strange. For the Cliff's Notes version, this is a daily driver vehicle, along for some highway trips and the like, so first priority was comfort (hence the WK2 over a JL). The stealth part comes in as my goal is to equip is such that it still looks pretty stock (Chief front guard for example, and working on some ideas for an easy to remove drawer system) so that it looks like your average mall crawler but has what it needs underneath. :)

The last time I did anything resembling camping was the proverbial pull campground pull the car up and pitch a tent stuff. My goal is by early next year to be doing some at least dispersed camping, with an ultimate goal of doing some overlanding out west. That may be a bit further, but I'm starting to look for ideas now. So... here I am.

That said, also hoping to find some semi local folks to help with education along the way.

Drom100

Rank I

Contributor III

Atascadero, California, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Drom
Hey all!
My name is Ryan, I have a 1999 Toyota Landcruiser and my wife has a 2006 Lexus lx470. I enjoy doing all of my own work and maintenance on both. I've kept the LC healthy and running up to 230,000 for the last 6 years. We have a Colorado Teardrop Summit trailer that we try and use often. My wife and I were avid backpackers until we had our 2 kids ( 1 year old and 3 year old) and now we try to find camping away from normal reservation only campgrounds. I also enjoy rock climbing and spear fishing. We live in Atascadero, CA and work for my wife's family business as a printer in San Luis Obispo. I hope to add fun locations and info to the community with our adventures and can't wait to meet some of you on the trail!

slax

Rank 0

Contributor I

Tucker, GA, USA
First Name
slax
Last Name
dobbs
Intro time... Slax here, based in metro ATL currently. Love travel camping while playing in the mud and was searching for some new trails and places to do some extended travel based camping adventures, which led me here. It appears I am in good company. We go up north here in GA almost every weekend (often ending in TN or NC), and plan a couple longer adventures through the year so if anyone wants to hit a trail let me know.

jfrohnapfel

Rank III

Contributor III

Chesapeake, Va
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Frohnapfel
Member #

Hello all. Checking in from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Myself, the old lady and our 2 year old are starting to get into camping and just generally being outdoors more lately. We have a ‘07 4Runner that’s getting a little lift and tires in the next week or so, and a ‘12 Tundra that already has 35’s and a level. Planning to make both of them pretty capable off-road so we can travel and camp out of them both. Experience pretty much consists of nothing but occasionally driving off roads a little ways to get to a hunting area, so we’re learning everything we can.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey vogts,

I am happy to be here.

Best regards

Tobias
Hello Tobias, welcome to Overland Bound. Please change your address to just your home town, never a good idea to put your full address on the web.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Guess I should do one of them thar intro messages. I was originally debating on just joining the forums until I get a little further along my plans or just go all in, took the latter.

Jason, currently based in Memphis, TN with a shiny new WK2 that I'm aiming to equip as something of a light stealth overland vehicle. Yeah, I know, sounds strange. For the Cliff's Notes version, this is a daily driver vehicle, along for some highway trips and the like, so first priority was comfort (hence the WK2 over a JL). The stealth part comes in as my goal is to equip is such that it still looks pretty stock (Chief front guard for example, and working on some ideas for an easy to remove drawer system) so that it looks like your average mall crawler but has what it needs underneath. :)

The last time I did anything resembling camping was the proverbial pull campground pull the car up and pitch a tent stuff. My goal is by early next year to be doing some at least dispersed camping, with an ultimate goal of doing some overlanding out west. That may be a bit further, but I'm starting to look for ideas now. So... here I am.

That said, also hoping to find some semi local folks to help with education along the way.
Hello Jason, welcome to Overland Bound.