WW_Pinecones

Rank I

Contributor III

Michigan, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hollander
Hey folks, new guy reporting in from Michigan. I'm a novice overlander running a stock 17' Lexus GX460 with A/T tires. I'm an experienced backpacker and bike tourist with tons of tent camping experience, some formal wilderness survival training, and 30,000 miles+ of road trips under my belt. I decided recently it was time for a more capable off-road rig after nearly stranding myself in a Colorado wilderness area in my stock VW Golf Alltrack. Simultaneously, our family decided we wanted to upgrade our pop-up camper to a small travel trailer. After much debate we settled on a GX460 for its combination of tow/cargo capacity, V8 engine, off-road capability, and smaller size relative to other large tow vehicles. My philosophy is to take lots of trips, only buy what I think I'll need for the next one, and replace anything I break on the trail with something more useful or dependable.

CR&CT

Rank I

Contributor III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Toutolmin
My wife and I are retired, long time RVers and are re-discovering Overlanding. Over several two day to two week trips we have slowly upgraded our tow vehicle with gear to be self sufficient and more adventurous than we could with the trailer while having the option to use the trailer as a "base camp".

2005 Yukon XL 2500 8.1 4x4
2012 23' Outdoor RV Creekside
Pandemic Project: 1990 LWB Montero
Concord, CA
Ham: KN6KUZ

Attachments

Last edited:

Titan_view

Rank I

Contributor III

College Station, TX, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Dodson
Hey Everyone! My name's Charles. Nissan Tech. Family of 4. Bryan/College station Tx area. Alot of tent camping experience. Last couple of years we've been doing alot of truck tent camping in various states. Current rig is a 19 Nissan Titan with a bed tent. Alpha roof top tent shipping in June. Can't wait. Excited to find some new trails and meet good people.IMG_20200722_192811.jpg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Charles (@Titan_view ), welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Reactions: Kent R

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Hey Everyone! My name's Charles. Nissan Tech. Family of 4. Bryan/College station Tx area. Alot of tent camping experience. Last couple of years we've been doing alot of truck tent camping in various states. Current rig is a 19 Nissan Titan with a bed tent. Alpha roof top tent shipping in June. Can't wait. Excited to find some new trails and meet good people.View attachment 196544
Hey Charles! Welcome aboard. I'm a victim of Texas A&M and more specifically the Brayton Fire Fields. In fact I'm wearing a TEEX shirt right now. Always gotta represent the best Firefighting Training School in the World! Happy Overlanding! ~ Woody

Titan_view

Rank I

Contributor III

College Station, TX, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Dodson
Hey Charles! Welcome aboard. I'm a victim of Texas A&M and more specifically the Brayton Fire Fields. In fact I'm wearing a TEEX shirt right now. Always gotta represent the best Firefighting Training School in the World! Happy Overlanding! ~ Woody
Nice to meet you. My wife works for A&M in the ID dept. I'm more of a longhorns fan myself so I guess you could say it's a house divided. Ha

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hey folks, new guy reporting in from Michigan. I'm a novice overlander running a stock 17' Lexus GX460 with A/T tires. I'm an experienced backpacker and bike tourist with tons of tent camping experience, some formal wilderness survival training, and 30,000 miles+ of road trips under my belt. I decided recently it was time for a more capable off-road rig after nearly stranding myself in a Colorado wilderness area in my stock VW Golf Alltrack. Simultaneously, our family decided we wanted to upgrade our pop-up camper to a small travel trailer. After much debate we settled on a GX460 for its combination of tow/cargo capacity, V8 engine, off-road capability, and smaller size relative to other large tow vehicles. My philosophy is to take lots of trips, only buy what I think I'll need for the next one, and replace anything I break on the trail with something more useful or dependable.
Hello Matt, welcome to the OB community. Where in Michigan are you from? I lived in the Grand Rapids for nearly 20 years but moved in 2003 to Southern Oregon.

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hello Overlanders.
Scott V, Berthoud Co.
Obviously new here. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a recently added 2019 Ford Ranger. Long time off roader of all sorts, two and four wheels, ski’s, snowshoes, or hiking boots. Grew up in the mountains of Colorado and love being outdoors. Generally out exploring the roads less travelled and avoiding campgrounds. Looking forward to being a part of this community and from others experience. It’s my hope that I can be helpful and add something good for others to make their time more enjoyable.
I’m in the process of building the Ranger to increase my range, would like to get a little further from home to explore some new territory.
Best of luck to you all! Scott
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. When you feel the need for inspiration or just want to see what others are doing to their rigs, be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your build.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

William Paul davis
94 toyota hilux surf 1kzte

Thanks for the add looking forward to getting to know other and learn some stuff
Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. Be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your own build.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Welcome to the OB crew, to get started on your overlanding journey, head over to the Boot Camp threads here in the forums, there is a lot of useful information on almost every aspect of overlanding, be sure to ask questions, our experienced overlanders here are happy to answer questions and offer you advice. If you need assistance with your GX build be sure to check out the vehicle build threads, there you can find lots of ideas to incorporate into your new rig.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey Everyone! My name's Charles. Nissan Tech. Family of 4. Bryan/College station Tx area. Alot of tent camping experience. Last couple of years we've been doing alot of truck tent camping in various states. Current rig is a 19 Nissan Titan with a bed tent. Alpha roof top tent shipping in June. Can't wait. Excited to find some new trails and meet good people.View attachment 196544
Welcome to the OB crew, that is a nice setup you have there.

WW_Pinecones

Rank I

Contributor III

Michigan, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hollander
My wife and I are retired, long time RVers and are re-discovering Overlanding. Over several two day to two week trips we have slowly upgraded our tow vehicle with gear to be self sufficient and more adventurous than we could with the trailer while having the option to use the trailer as a "base camp".

2005 Yukon XL 2500 8.1 4x4
2012 23' Outdoor RV Creekside
Pandemic Project: 1990 LWB Montero
Concord, CA
Ham: KN6KUZ
That's the plan! Headed out in two weeks for a week-long trip with two 4x4s where we intend to use the trailer for base camp and off-road / hike /bike during the day. Might do an overnight with just the vehicles. Don't know yet.

Contributor I

Arizona/Washington
First Name
TR
Last Name
Mahaffey
i everyone. I'm also new to the site and looking forward to reading and learning. I retired from the US Forest Service in 2016 and have decided to buy and build and overland rig. I'm looking at building a Lexus GX460 (2010-2013) or a newer Tacoma. I've been without an offload ride for 4 years and I miss the outdoors.