NoFluxGiven88

Rank 0

Contributor I

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Vezendy
Hey! My name is Amanda, me and my husband have always LOVED camping in remote places and just bought our first RTT and we can't wait to get out and explore more.
Area: Atlanta, GA
Rig: Toyota Tacoma 2018
Experience: novice when it comes to RTT, intermediate when it comes to camping

Looking forward to learning of new spots to go with great views that we can back our rig into.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey! My name is Amanda, me and my husband have always LOVED camping in remote places and just bought our first RTT and we can't wait to get out and explore more.

Looking forward to learning of new spots to go with great views that we can back our rig into.
Welcome To Overland Bound Amanda.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @rrjones2u
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
New member # 1465:

Hi all I'm Michael. It was 2016 and I was about to graduate college when I went to visit a mate of mine who was doing their internship with the city of Bishop, CA. He invited me up to go camping and off-roading. At the time I had a standard red FWD Ford Ranger (Long Red--shout out to any Mountain & Leslie West fans). He took me around the eastern Sierras: Mammoth, Lake June, Convict Lake, etc in his lifted Ford Ranger 4x4. I was in awe of the sites and beauty. I left inspired and enamored, I wanted nothing more than to experience that more. I was racking my brain on how I could outfit Long Red but I was hesitant to invest in my Ranger because it was definitely not reliable enough. I told myself I would wait and when the time was right I would buy something capable.

Fast forward to 2018 and Long Red's motor failed on me. It was time to let her go. Times had been good to me financially so I took the plunge and decide to buy new. I had bought used up until then and I was tired of getting cars that had a shelf life of, who knows? My experiences from my summer in Bishop was still fresh in my mind, and I new I wanted something to get me back to the places off in the distance, past the roads and highways. So I started looking for a new vehicle. I went right for the big guns, Jeeps, Tacomas, & 4Runners. Holy smokes are they expensive!! And the gas mileage, for get about it!! I had to keep in mind the practical economics of things. No way I could afford the payment on a brand new Tacoma or 4Runner, I have also heard that Jeeps can be unreliable (no offense to the Jeep owners here!). Moreover, I felt like I was going too big too fast. I started calibrating my scope and asking myself what I wanted and what I needed from my vehicle. Some how a small voice whispered...subaru...and i started diving not research. After seeing the budding offroad/overlanding Subaru community, the gas mileage, and testimonials I felt I had found my rig. Economical, capable, and reliable---so far. I opted for the 2018 Forester XT. I knew this was not going to be the offroad/overlanding machine I daydreamed about, but it fit me. I don't know if I will ever have a desire to overland to Alaska--although I hear talks of people doing so in these--I knew this could at least get me to the lakes I saw in mountains just outside of Bishop.

Stella has come along way in a short period of time and I have been fortunate enough to take her on some brief trail rides in Utah and Western Texas. Both of those times I was alone and chose not to go to deep since I lacked experience. I know she is ready for bigger adventures but I am the only person in my circe of friends who has the desire to overland/off-road bug. I am looking to expand my base and gain more experience, hence this new subscription to Overland Bound! With that said I am looking for some compatriots to show me some local trails and share some knowledge so I can reach my goal to go on an epic trip! If anyone actually reads this full length introductory and knows some threads that are dedicated to Los Angeles County, CA or are Subaru specific please PM a link or reply to this entry!

Excitedly,

DharmaBum

View attachment 169467
Welcome to Overland Bound Michael.
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information. The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey folks,

Art from Philadelphia checking in for the first time. I’m a new member and am eagerly awaiting my 2020 Tacoma Off Road, which should arrive in about two weeks. I’m really looking forward to learning about overlanding and hitting the trails. I haven’t been off-road in about 25 years when I was single and owned a Jeep. Now I’m 53 and looking for a new adventure!
Welcome to Overland Bound Art.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @Wawa Skittletits
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova

Contributor I

Rio de Janeiro
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Philippe
Hi! I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I don't have a vehicle yet but I know what I want: a diesel SUV from when it still meant Suburban Utility and could transport cargo without the risk of ruining some luxury upholstery.
More specifically, a Chevrolet Bonanza (2 doors) or Veraneio (4 doors) from the late 80s. They were made and sold only for the Brazilian market, I attached the pics so you know what I'm talking about.
There are a lot of reasons why I love this model and I hope to discuss it later.

I've been an avid reader an planner for Overland trips since forever (probably around 2005) but haven't gone on 4x4 expeditions yet. And honesty I don't have much interest in rock crawling or bogging in mud, just travelling.
Other than that I just love driving for the sake of driving and have made some trips just to hit the road. Now looking forward to hit the not-road as well! :)
Also I love hiking and camping, and have intermediate experience on both.

bonanza 2.pngbonanza.jpgveraneio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R and Iwata77

lab_rat

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
W
Howdy! I'm a new member located in San Antonio.

Last month I bought a local one-owner 2010 GX460 with 125,000 miles that was religiously serviced at the dealership. A few years ago I had a 2015 Tacoma OR, but sold it was (relatively) loud and slow for a daily, so I sold it after a year of ownership. I had been wanting a 4R, but after a bit of research, I found that the GX460 is a better blend of power, comfort, and utility for what I wanted to do.

Now I'm working on purchasing some basic 'GXOR' items (front/rear bumpers, suspension, wheel and tires), and am also actively looking for a Overland-type camper/trailer.

Anyone have some pointers to a local shop that can take care of powercoating the bumpers? Any good local shops that are familiar with installation of all those items on a GX460?

Thanks in advance,
George

tahaabbasi

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Sandy, Utah, United States
First Name
Taha
Last Name
Abbasi
Member #

Hi Everyone!

I’m Taha, just bought an 80 series 1994 Land Cruiser (Triple Locked) - named him Bernard (West World reference).

New to overlanding but excited to learn and experience the adventures of overlanding

Attachments

Hautala88

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
austin
Last Name
hautala
Member #

Hi, my name is Austin, I just purchased my first 4WD and couldn't be more excited to start building it into an overland rig.

Rig: 2001 4Runner Limited, TRD supercharged
I've never overlanded, but I've gone tent camping my whole life. I'm looking forward to finding new places to camp in the 4unner

I plan on doing a 3" lift on it and a front skid plate. But other than that, any suggestions on first mods would be welcome! Thanks!

118792424_1013086355806403_8204112453821448861_n.jpg

Contributor I

Rio de Janeiro
First Name
Andre
Last Name
Philippe
I plan on doing a 3" lift on it and a front skid plate. But other than that, any suggestions on first mods would be welcome! Thanks!
Welcome, Austin! If you are planning serious overlanding (loooong trips) I couldn't recommend "The Road Chose Me" more. It's the channel with more actual down to earth and really useful things for daily basis use I've came across. Since it's a "new" rig, check his "TOP 5 EASY & CHEAP Overland Vehicle mods everyone FORGETS!". Hope it helps!

Hautala88

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
austin
Last Name
hautala
Member #

Welcome, Austin! If you are planning serious overlanding (loooong trips) I couldn't recommend "The Road Chose Me" more. It's the channel with more actual down to earth and really useful things for daily basis use I've came across. Since it's a "new" rig, check his "TOP 5 EASY & CHEAP Overland Vehicle mods everyone FORGETS!". Hope it helps!

Thank you!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello all!

My name is Mike and after numerous delays on my 4x6 trailer build, its looking like ill have all my parts and can do a test run in the coming weeks. So I figured this is good as time as ever to officially join OB.

Experience with overlanding is non-existent however I'm a seasoned backpacker who is tired of sleeping on the ground. Ill be using my new stock TRD OFF Road for most trips. No major modifications in the future since its my daily for now.
Welcome from Phoenix Mike, great looking dog and nice looking ride.

Reactions: RedHat90 and Kent R

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Welcome from Phoenix.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, my name is Austin, I just purchased my first 4WD and couldn't be more excited to start building it into an overland rig.

Rig: 2001 4Runner Limited, TRD supercharged
I've never overlanded, but I've gone tent camping my whole life. I'm looking forward to finding new places to camp in the 4unner

View attachment 169590
Welcome to Overland Bound Austin.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
https://www.treadlightly.org/learn/online-courses/

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
New guy, hello to all.
2002 Lx470, located in NorCal. North of Sacramento. Medium amount of offroad experience. Excited to be here.
Welcome to Overland Bound.
Once the Mendocino NF opens up again there are some great overland routes that can take several days.
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; @Magic Mike
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning

Reactions: SEEMA

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Everyone!

I’m Taha, just bought an 80 series 1994 Land Cruiser (Triple Locked) - named him Bernard (West World reference).

New to overlanding but excited to learn and experience the adventures of overlanding
Welcome to Overland Bound
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Overland Bound - Rocky Mountain
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representatives to you are @A-Aron & @Knitron

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Howdy! I'm a new member located in San Antonio.

Last month I bought a local one-owner 2010 GX460 with 125,000 miles that was religiously serviced at the dealership. A few years ago I had a 2015 Tacoma OR, but sold it was (relatively) loud and slow for a daily, so I sold it after a year of ownership. I had been wanting a 4R, but after a bit of research, I found that the GX460 is a better blend of power, comfort, and utility for what I wanted to do.

Now I'm working on purchasing some basic 'GXOR' items (front/rear bumpers, suspension, wheel and tires), and am also actively looking for a Overland-type camper/trailer.

Anyone have some pointers to a local shop that can take care of powercoating the bumpers? Any good local shops that are familiar with installation of all those items on a GX460?

Thanks in advance,
George
Welcome to Overland Bound George
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982 he can help you get in touch with the local meet-up.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi! I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I don't have a vehicle yet but I know what I want: a diesel SUV from when it still meant Suburban Utility and could transport cargo without the risk of ruining some luxury upholstery.
More specifically, a Chevrolet Bonanza (2 doors) or Veraneio (4 doors) from the late 80s. They were made and sold only for the Brazilian market, I attached the pics so you know what I'm talking about.
There are a lot of reasons why I love this model and I hope to discuss it later.

I've been an avid reader an planner for Overland trips since forever (probably around 2005) but haven't gone on 4x4 expeditions yet. And honesty I don't have much interest in rock crawling or bogging in mud, just travelling.
Other than that I just love driving for the sake of driving and have made some trips just to hit the road. Now looking forward to hit the not-road as well! :)
Also I love hiking and camping, and have intermediate experience on both.

View attachment 169547View attachment 169549View attachment 169548
Welcome to Overland Bound Andre,
Interesting rig idea I would be interested to find out what you find.
You can use the member map to help find other members that might be near you.

Reactions: André Philippe

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The Mendo is burning big time, sad. Thanks for the info.
We will be in the Mendo once the forest figures out what type of post fire repair help they need. We have been conducting trail guardian events there for the past two years. The latest was in the Stonyford OHV area.

Reactions: André Philippe