Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am a new member out of Aviano, IT! I have been to Korea, and Japan as well (which is where my vehicle is from). I am currently driving a 1993 Toyota HZJ77 LandCruiser. I am very excited to start my build, which will start out with new leaf springs and shocks custom bent from Alcansprings and most likely FOX or Bilstein shocks. I already have a passion for camping and hiking but would like to broaden my view of the lifestyle by adding a vehicle. There are some 4x4 groups in the local area but I am unsure if OB has a chapter in Northern IT, it would be nice to know. Thank you for including me in the forum!
Welcome to Overland Bound!

There are several meet-ups in your area you never know, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.
If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi, I’m Tony M. From Columbia Mo. my wife Jill and I have done a bit of off-road but are looking for something a little different. Super excited and I’ve been working on getting my ‘18 Ram 1500 ready for the task! We’ve taken the Ram off road and it has been amazing! Looking forward to getting out with some experienced folks and having a great time!!
Tony M,

There are several meet-ups in your area, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Hi, I'm Mark
Rig: Subaru Forester XT
I haven't been out in the woods for around 20+ years and when I did go out it was in a 94 Nissan Sentra. So pretty much zero experience. I've got kids now and we're looking to get out more. I'm excited to be part of this group.
Thanks
Good to see another Subaru on here, there are quite a few of us running around! Sign in at the Subaru Owners thread and browse there for ideas!

wsquared

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi all!

Location - Central Alberta, Canada
Rig - 2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubi on 35's with lots of stuff to make it slower
Trailer - 2012 Canadian Range

I got my start driving things off road with tractors (including a Farmall Model A) back when dirt was still a new invention, and gradually progressed to things as large as a ford 1 ton dually (work truck) before I completely lost my mind and started modifying a Jeep as an off-road/road-trip rig. I guess you can say I have a couple decades of experience getting wheeled vehicles into places that would make engineers cringe.

My current setup is great for "base camp" style adventuring - offroading, hunting, and fishing in one general area. The biggest challenge is the fact that the engine in the JK is fine on the flat stuff with that trailer, but needing to use second gear to get over a mountain pass is definitely not happiness in a tow rig. I'll also say that while it is very "streetable" a JK on 35's is not an ideal long-distance pavement cruiser.

Because I am shopping for a new DD, I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado....that can easily tow the trailer, haul a 17 foot sea kayak, and ideally configured so that I can use it as a very quick-to-set-up overnight camping rig for trips where the base camp idea is not really the objective.

I'm still in the beginning stages of thinking through what that will look like, but right now I'm thinking of an extended cab with the 6-ish foot bed, fitted with a hard topper and a roof rack, with the plan being that I'd fit a drawer system in the bottom of the bed, and eventually (probably) a "pop-up" lift system under the topper paired with a canvas camper setup. Yes, sleeping in the bed of your pickup isn't the cool way to do things....but it sure does promote quick setup and tear-down, and works well for Wal-Mart parking lots when on road trips required to reach great destinations.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm from the Charlottesville area and just looking to expand my camping experience to include taking my 97 Jeep up trails on multi-day trips. I have no real experience, but that is why I'm here to learn and grow into this new found community.

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all, new owner of a 4x8 Hiker Highway Delux. Looking for ideas and fun.

Check the forum calendar and meet-up page for events and trips that might be happening close to you.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi all!

Location - Central Alberta, Canada
Rig - 2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubi on 35's with lots of stuff to make it slower
Trailer - 2012 Canadian Range

I got my start driving things off road with tractors (including a Farmall Model A) back when dirt was still a new invention, and gradually progressed to things as large as a ford 1 ton dually (work truck) before I completely lost my mind and started modifying a Jeep as an off-road/road-trip rig. I guess you can say I have a couple decades of experience getting wheeled vehicles into places that would make engineers cringe.

My current setup is great for "base camp" style adventuring - offroading, hunting, and fishing in one general area. The biggest challenge is the fact that the engine in the JK is fine on the flat stuff with that trailer, but needing to use second gear to get over a mountain pass is definitely not happiness in a tow rig. I'll also say that while it is very "streetable" a JK on 35's is not an ideal long-distance pavement cruiser.

Because I am shopping for a new DD, I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado....that can easily tow the trailer, haul a 17 foot sea kayak, and ideally configured so that I can use it as a very quick-to-set-up overnight camping rig for trips where the base camp idea is not really the objective.

I'm still in the beginning stages of thinking through what that will look like, but right now I'm thinking of an extended cab with the 6-ish foot bed, fitted with a hard topper and a roof rack, with the plan being that I'd fit a drawer system in the bottom of the bed, and eventually (probably) a "pop-up" lift system under the topper paired with a canvas camper setup. Yes, sleeping in the bed of your pickup isn't the cool way to do things....but it sure does promote quick setup and tear-down, and works well for Wal-Mart parking lots when on road trips required to reach great destinations.
I feel your pain with the 3.8, and we have had several Colorado's on our trips and they are great! the only thing I see is some low hanging fruit that can get damaged. Shocks and some wiring.

Logan Hall

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hello! My name is Logan and I’m live south of Tampa, Florida. I recently finished up an 8,600+ mile trek around the US hitting around 21 different states. I’ve always loved the overlander look, but I prefer the more minimalist style rather than driving a tank. I rejoined the subie club back in January by purchasing a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i. I love the great gas mileage, interior storage space, awd system, and comfortable interior. What I don’t love is the incredibly sparse supply of compatible off-road parts; so I will be custom fabricating things like front and rear tube bumpers, front skid plate, etc. I’ve just recently cut a front bumper for more clearance and new Hankook A/Tm tires. I’m very excited for this build and the many trips to come!IMG_2068.JPGIMG_2057.JPGIMG_1220.JPGIMG_2110.JPGIMG_2130.JPG

DCHFJ60

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hi everyone,

Name: Dave
Current Rig: 1986 FJ60 stock 2F with a 5-Speed
Been Overlanding for years

Originally from British Columbia Canada and used my BJ42 all over that Provence, I moved to the US 19 years ago and started to explore the US. Most recently I built a FJ Cruiser and a LR3 for overlanding, but decided I wanted something that is more field repairable. So I moved to a FJ60. It has a rebuilt motor, carbureted, 5-Speed, semi restored.
I purchased this vehicle after the final scare with my LR3 and limp mode it dropped into for the 3rd time. The last time on a high road in Colorado. Fortunately this was fixed quickly and I did not have to be towed, but I decided that something more basic was in order and without a computer. One day the FJ60 will be converted to a Toyota diesel.

No off road pics as it is still being built up and more will come, but here is one in my driveway.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello! My name is Logan and I’m live south of Tampa, Florida. I recently finished up an 8,600+ mile trek around the US hitting around 21 different states. I’ve always loved the overlander look, but I prefer the more minimalist style rather than driving a tank. I rejoined the subie club back in January by purchasing a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i. I love the great gas mileage, interior storage space, awd system, and comfortable interior. What I don’t love is the incredibly sparse supply of compatible off-road parts; so I will be custom fabricating things like front and rear tube bumpers, front skid plate, etc. I’ve just recently cut a front bumper for more clearance and new Hankook A/Tm tires. I’m very excited for this build and the many trips to come!View attachment 71663View attachment 71664View attachment 71665View attachment 71666View attachment 71667

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi everyone,

Originally from British Columbia Canada and used my BJ42 all over that Provence, I moved to the US 19 years ago and started to explore the US. Most recently I built a FJ Cruiser and a LR3 for overlanding, but decided I wanted something that is more field repairable. So I moved to a FJ60. It has a rebuilt motor, carbureted, 5-Speed, semi restored.
I purchased this vehicle after the final scare with my LR3 and limp mode it dropped into for the 3rd time. The last time on a high road in Colorado. Fortunately this was fixed quickly and I did not have to be towed, but I decided that something more basic was in order and without a computer. One day the FJ60 will be converted to a Toyota diesel.

No off road pics as it is still being built up and more will come, but here is one in my driveway.

Reactions: DCHFJ60

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Y'all, I'm currently in North Florida, but will soon be in Idaho.
We have a 2006 Jeep Commander with a mild overland build.
I'm not a beginner or an expert.

Reactions: AD Davis

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hi everyone,

Welcome Dave, from NOVA/DC as well.

r_horner

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey everyone,

Name: Ryan
Current Rig: 2017 Chevy Colorado, 2016 Subaru Outback
New to Overlanding and can’t wait to learn the lifestyle. Used to rock crawling and muddling in my old JK and JKU