Member Introductions *NEW MEMBERS INTRODUCE YOURSELF*

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Hey folks. David, new here from just outside of Nashville, Tennessee. My wife and I have two children, two dogs, and both work in healthcare. We also both have serious wanderlust and live to explore all of the amazing places that our country has to offer. The Southwest and the Rockies are where we long to live eventually, but for now we are enjoying being in Tennessee.

My wife and I recently decided that it was time to start prepping our 2016 Ram 2500 for some overlanding next year so I have been scouring the web, reading up on other Ram 2500 builds, and stumbled across Overland Bound in the process.

We've been fortunate to own a variety of vehicles over the past few years and honestly turning the Ram into "yet another off-road vehicle" was never really part of the plan when we bought it. To the contrary, we were looking to get away from the off-road scene for a while and just have something big, reliable and powerful to serve as my daily driver and take care of business whenever something needed towed, hauled or uprooted. The fact that it can be transformed into something overland capable has been a welcomed discovery as we began to feel the familiar tug of the backroads and no-roads on our hearts.

I guess to give an idea of where we're headed with our build it's somewhat appropriate to talk about where we've been.

This is my former 2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams. We bought it new and I built it up over the course of a year for an adventure we took out in the American Southwest:

I set it up with an Icon suspension, Cooper STT tires, an Expedition One front bumper, HAM radio and a variety of other gear. I ran out of time and money before the trip to put a winch on it, but we didn't let that deter us. We plowed forth and spent two amazing weeks traveling from Tennessee to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Moab, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and eventually back home. That photo was taken in Moab on Potash Road.

A while later we lucked into a deal too good to pass up on a 2011 Ford Raptor. We owned it up until recently and by the time we sold it (for a profit, of all things) it served as my daily driver and saw a variety of modifications. While we took it on several trips, it never made its way back out West where it really could have been some fun.

This photo was from a weekend drive out in the Land Between the Lakes area of Kentucky and Tennessee. It loved the dirt.

When the new 3.6L Pentastar engines came out in the freshened-up 2012 Jeep Wrangler, we replaced my wife's vehicle with a 2012 JKU Rubicon. She took over the Raptor as her daily for a while and I built the Jeep into what was our most capable vehicle yet. We did a LOT of off-road exploring with it and loved every minute of it.

As they say, everything is for sale at the right price, though. A gentleman offered me far more for it than it had cost me to build it, and I took him up on the sale. I kind of wish I hadn't.

But if every end is another beginning, that means parting with the Wrangler has lead me to our Ram 2500. I am dubbing it the "Land Shark" because of the Granite Crystal Paint and because deep down inside I'm still a 13-year old boy who has to give his toys super cool names. :sunglasses:

Currently, I have installed a Pure Performance 3" lift/level with Fox 2.0 shocks, Method wheels, and it's now shod with Toyo M/T 35-inch tires. Other than that, it is a blank slate for me to go nuts with.

I have some Rigid D2 and SAE DOT legal driving lights to put in the bumper this weekend, and have started amassing the gear to put my Icom ID-4100A shortwave radio in it. Next up will be some White Knuckle rock sliders to replace the wimpy running boards, and then we'll move on to building a bed rack for a roof-top tent and then maybe a Buckstop front bumper to accommodate a winch. I won't have another off-road vehicle without a winch. We got lucky without one in the FJC.

Eventually I'll replace the Fox shocks with some King Pintops from Carli, and maybe replace some more of the suspension bits with gear from Carli as well. The Pure Performance springs are quite nice so I won't replace them unless I have to.

Anyway, that's pretty much the story of my build and a bit about me and my family. I look forward to learning from you all and sharing with you what little I know. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and electronics, so maybe I can contribute in some way. :)

Welcome to OB! Great looking Ram and past rigs were nice too

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

View attachment 37672
--Here she is at Mammoth Mountain

Currently in South Carolina
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Overlanding... I recently learned about this new term "overlanding" from a good friend in Las Vegas, NV when I saw his SAS Xterra with a RTT on it. After more questions and a few beers, I realized I needed to learn more about this lifestyle because it was...me. I've been hiking, backpacking, and camping for years... this is the next level!

Welcome to OB Reis, looks like it was chilly up at Mammoth

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Hey Everyone,

My name is Josh and I do a lot of videography, photography, and drone operations.
I am located in southeastern Pennsylvania, right outside of Philadelphia.
I bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 10 months ago and I love it.

I have always been an outdoors kind of person, but never really knew the term overloading. I am excited to begin this journey
and explore the outdoors with my rig. View attachment 37673
Welcome to OB JCase

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself. Name is Matt, active duty Air Force currently stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa, Japan. Will be returning stateside in May '18 to most likely Oklahoma City, but hoping the assignment Gods smile on me and send me to Colorado Springs.

Just sold a '92 Land Cruiser 70 HZJ73 and took delivery of the current ride that I'll bring home in May. Its a May 1993 HDJ81. 157k km, 1HDT Turbo Diesel. No lockers, but it'll do.

Zero overlanding experience but look forward to branching out around OKC in all directions, baselining the rig, and meeting new people!

Welcome to OB and thank you for your service. Neat looking rig, I love seeing all the different variations of vehicles around the world

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

hello all from Southern Idaho

My name is Steve, I am a family guy with 4 boys and 1 little girl. I have doomed them all to a life of landcruisers. They all have pictures of the cruisers they want in their rooms and I am really gonna work on getting the Pink FJ40 for the little girl in 6 or 7 years. Right now we have a '96 FZJ80 and '90 Fj62. They are kinda rough but we take care of the stuff that keeps em going. I am also a scoutmaster and these rigs get us to and from all our monthly adventures. I quote one of the boys from our trip last weekend "why go to an amusement park when you could just do this" .

anyway, I'm looking forward to all I can learn here and getting to know the crowd.View attachment 37685 View attachment 37686
Welcome to OB Steve

Enthusiast III

California
Hi Everyone. My name is Matt.
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota T100 w/ home made camper
Experience: Few camping trips around California, Hawaii, and Baja and just finished my first long trip (16 months) to Panama and Back.

Mojave

Costa Rica

Reactions: Chadlyb and AAV

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hi Everyone. My name is Matt.
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota T100 w/ home made camper
Experience: Few camping trips around California, Hawaii, and Baja and just finished my first long trip (16 months) to Panama and Back.

Mojave

Costa Rica
Hello Matt and welcome to the OB crew..happy to add another Toy to the group..nice set up..look forward to seeing your adventures

BackroadPurpose

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville
Member #

Hello Everyone
My name is Scott and I split time between Concord and Mi Wuk Village, CA
I have been an avid 4 wheeler and part time explorer for over 35 years
I am at that point in life where I want to do more exploring and less wrenching
Welcome! Glad to have you as a brother! Look forward to linking up in the future!

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello Everyone
My name is Scott and I split time between Concord and Mi Wuk Village, CA
I have been an avid 4 wheeler and part time explorer for over 35 years
I am at that point in life where I want to do more exploring and less wrenching
Hello Scott and welcome to the OB crew..good looking jeep and look forward to seeing your adventures

Rafepirate

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, I'm Rafepirate. I was raised with outdoorsy motorcycle parents and have explored in the Mojave desert and Bishop, and Big Bear. Big Bear is 2 hrs from home.

College and work changed my priorities away from outdoors adventures for nearly 30 years before I started but reading my nephews family adventure blog. Reading his blog reminded me remember how much fun I was missing. I started looking for a 4x4 rig...

The nephew (BLKWAGN), his wife and daughter have a blog titled "family-off-the-map".

I'd had my eye on one of dads 4x4 work trucks which he was willing to part with. It had served him well as a chase vehicle in the Baja 1000.

Current rig: A 2010 F350 Super Duty King Ranch, twin turbo diesel with custom steel camper shell. It's a non dually and mostly stock. Came with a couple extras dad had installed for the chase grill mounted flood & spot light bars, air compressor, standard wheels and standard road mud and snows.

I added a CB, 150 watt solar panel with a deep cycle agm 85 ah storage battery, a Dometic 12v fridge, 400 watt AC inverter. Recovery gear- minimal at this point, recovery straps, tow rope, chain, shovel, pick axe, a set smitty traction treads, high lift jack is everythign I have at this point. Next on the wish list since it is about 6800# unloaded, I doubt a jeep could rescue me if I ever get super stuck.

After market additions: custom steel camper, roof rack which can hold (6) 5 gal H2O/fuel cans and 2+ full size spare tires. I installed the the solar panel inside the rack to protect it from smashing on branches after noticing that I was "trimming" lower branches fairly often when doing some dirt road exploration. Truck is 92" tall at highest point. Solar panel for the Dometic Fridge. Has a few accessory light bars hidden in the grill. No winch. too. serving double duty as an off road chase vehicle.

F350, that is too long for some narrower trails but I made an offer and he accepted.
I'm stuck with it now so lets see what the big beast can do.

The possibilities make my mouth water...its a really big truck though and if I get stuck I don't know if a jeep could move the beast.

Current rig: 2010 Ford Super Duty 4x4, mostly stock, standard wheels, no winch, have a set of traction pads, tow rope and, compressor and chain with a high lift jack for self rescue.

Upgrades: Custom steel camper shell, 1 tubular steel cargo rack designed for 2 or more full size spares, six 5gal water/fuel can and 1 additional rack for up to 3000# cargo. Could be good base for a roof top tent. I installed a 150watt solar panel in the rearmost cargo rack to protect it from branches oalong the trail. A 85 ah AGM storage battery for the Dometic fridge and a CB make up the complete rig.

Thats all of it so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadlyb

Berfer97

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Los Gatos, CA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Rig: 1997 Toyota 4Runner, 2" lift, sliders, rear e-locker - a pretty capable wheeler
Experience: Novice/Intermediate - been out to the 4wd park quite a few times, some trail trips in the Sierras
Excited to join, been following on YouTube for a while and was looking for a way to get out and meet more people into overlanding, camping, and exploring. Always liked to do that sort of stuff and would really love to do more. Hope to see you all out there soon!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello, I'm Rafepirate. I was raised on weekends of dune buggy, motorcycle and comfortable RV camping in Baja Mexico and the Mojave desert. Eventually college and later work got in the way....for almost 30 years. I didn't make time for off road adventures. I think I forgot that this could be an option.

until I read a nephews FB posts about solo adventures, Team Rubicon, and other group events around the Southern California Big Bear area. His family blog is titled "family-off-the-map."

My dad has been a race enthusiast forever and his Ford Super Duty work truck doubled as support/chase vehicle for his the Baja 1000 race team for 4 or 5 years. The price was good and its well cared for. The possibilities make my mouth water...its a really big truck though and if it gets stuck I don't think a jeepwill be able to rescue the beast. Stll, this could be the beginning of a great things to come...

Current rig: 2010 Ford Super Duty 4x4, mostly stock, standard wheels, no winch, have a set of traction pads, tow rope and, compressor and chain with a high lift jack for self rescue.

Upgrades: Custom steel camper shell, 1 tubular steel cargo rack designed for 2 or more full size spares, six 5gal water/fuel can and 1 additional rack for up to 3000# cargo. Could be good base for a roof top tent. I installed a 150watt solar panel in the rearmost cargo rack to protect it from branches oalong the trail. A 85 ah AGM storage battery for the Dometic fridge and a CB make up the complete rig.

Thats all of it so far.
Hello Rafepirate and welcome to the OB crew..look forward to seeing your adventures

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Rig: 1997 Toyota 4Runner, 2" lift, sliders, rear e-locker - a pretty capable wheeler
Experience: Novice/Intermediate - been out to the 4wd park quite a few times, some trail trips in the Sierras
Excited to join, been following on YouTube for a while and was looking for a way to get out and meet more people into overlanding, camping, and exploring. Always liked to do that sort of stuff and would really love to do more. Hope to see you all out there soon!
Hello and welcome to the OB crew..glad to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures

Lvfunnyfarm

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, Nv
First Name
Candi
Last Name
Skehan
Member #

New Members,

Welcome to the Overland Bound community! Please take a few moments to introduce yourself so we can get to know you!

A few things you might want to include in your introduction are:

1) Picture! If you have a rig, we want to see it!
2) Location (General area is fine)
3) Rig (Year, Make, Model, etc.)
4) Overlanding Experience Background (Novice or Experienced, you're welcome here!)

We're glad you've found us and look forward to sharing our adventures with you!

In addition to getting to know you, here are the guideline sent to all Moderators of the forums. It's a natural reflection of our community, and what Overland Bound is all about:

From @administrator
  • Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  • We will not further define "overlanding".
  • "Capable" depends on the requirements of the trip, and we take that very seriously.
  • You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  • Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  • Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  • Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  • It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  • We do not care about make or model.
  • We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  • We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  • Humility.
  • We respect, fear, and protect nature.
  • "I don't know" is a great answer.
  • We don’t brag about exploits.
  • We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  • We engage in the very smallest of interactions.
[/QUOTE