Enthusiast I

Floyd County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Bonam
Member #

Hey all.

My name is Rick, I just joined the forum in the last few days, and also plan to get a full membership as well.

I live in southern Indiana right outside of Louisville, KY., and have been interested in exploring the area beyond what the usual roads and camp grounds might have to offer. My experience is spotty, so I would consider myself a novice overlander for all intents and purposes. My rig is a stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have plans to eventually lift it a couple of inches, add 33" tires, some protective plating underneath for some added off-roadability (adding lockers would be great, but I feel like I could find a lot of gear for that kind of money that would be used a lot more), lights, winch, etc.. The usual bits and pieces, but I do plan to keep the majority of it stock to keep reliability up since it's also my daily driver. Also to be considered is sleeping accommodations. I've just got a basic tent for the time being, but I'm considering options that would include a rooftop tent, and I'm checking out what everyone has done as far as that goes. Lots of ideas!

Hoping to meet others in the relatively local area to get together with and do some exploring, or even just a night at the local campground to get out of the house for a bit.

See you out there!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello all,
My name is Max I'm 22 and just getting in to this overlanding thing.
I have a 2006 Gmc Sierra 2500hd Duramax, that I am outfitting to explore.
Over the past month or so I've been loading up on supplies for my first trip utilizing the truck
A short weekend trip to the heart of West Virginia, Coming at the end of the month (much excite)
I am a hobbyist photographer and an avid moutain biker so I'm super excited to start my overlanding adventures.
Onto the pics, (if it works)

DSC_7251 by Max Foltz, on Flickr
DSC_7241 by Max Foltz, on Flickr
Hey Max - welcome to OB! Nice rig! Safe travels and enjoy the open road!

colo14ers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Aurora, CO
Member #

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across overland.com when I watched some videos posted on YouTube by iamjake about his overland trip across the country and the Overland Expo West 2017.

Rig: 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon (Primary), 2008 Ford Explorer (secondary)
Experience: Moderate. Lots of camping in Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Plenty of road trips though Arizona and New Mexico back roads. Some 4x4, but nothing too radical. Upgrading the JK so that I can go on some more challenging trails.

Here is a pic from Rampart Range Road between Denver and Colorado Springs that my wife and I drove last month.

Attachments

Traveler I

Hello all,
Over the past month or so I've been loading up on supplies for my first trip utilizing the truck
A short weekend trip to the heart of West Virginia, Coming at the end of the month (much excite)
I am a hobbyist photographer and an avid moutain biker so I'm super excited to start my overlanding adventures.

DSC_7251 by Max Foltz, on Flickr
DSC_7241 by Max Foltz, on Flickr
Nice truck !!!! It looks really well maintained, congrats.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across overland.com when I watched some videos posted on YouTube by iamjake about his overland trip across the country and the Overland Expo West 2017.

Rig: 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon (Primary), 2008 Ford Explorer (secondary)
Experience: Moderate. Lots of camping in Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Plenty of road trips though Arizona and New Mexico back roads. Some 4x4, but nothing too radical. Upgrading the JK so that I can go on some more challenging trails.

Here is a pic from Rampart Range Road between Denver and Colorado Springs that my wife and I drove last month.
Hey, Colo14ers - Hey that's me :) Welcome to OB. I'm looking forward to getting back to Jade and exploring more of your beautiful state (state #4 on my 50 state road trip). I'm hoping most of the snow has melted so I can get to some of the higher passes/trails and sights! Anyways, safe travels and enjoy the open road!

Last edited:
Reactions: mtn_nic

Brian Houston

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Helloooo All.
I'm a newbie to this site, but not overlanding. I am currently building my 3rd vehicle and maybe I'll get it right this time - unlikely. I'm not a huge fan of computers - so don't expect me on here much. But thanks to all of you who do and your invaluable advice and contributions.

Welcome Jake, you'll love everything about overlanding. Careful though, it's as contagious as it is expensive; and the ONLY way to get your money back out of your vehicle is to use it - A LOT!! So get out and enjoy every minute of it.

I LOVE the OLB motto of it doesn't matter what you drive. I started with a 1996 Landrover discovery. The Camel Trophy series was my dream and introduction to overlanding. Not a great vehicle by the way. (I don't want to debate its merits, it doesn't have any). Then a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. Vehicles really can't get much better than these!!

Then I had twins - girls. Guess what; you cannot get two rear-facing car seats into the back of a Tacoma no matter how hard you try...GRRRRRRR! And onto vehicle #3.

I'm presently building a 1969 International Scout 800A. What's that you ask. A Gargantuan money pit. That's what. If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined bank accounts they couldn't afford to make this vehicle viable. So I guess that's why I chose it.

Aside from the exploration, I'm a car nut. I love building something truly unique. That you cannot buy with any amount of money. Everyone's vehicle on here is a unique reflection of themselves. Then taking that vehicle and learning about its capabilities. What are it's upper and lower limits. Where can it take you. Then going home and improving upon (hopefully) those limits. And exploring again. And so on and so forth until we run out of gas...

I look forward to meeting as many people as I can. If your in Phoenix, or brave enough to visit here, say HI. We're always up for a cold beer or 6.
Brian & Stacey

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Hello all,
Hi Max, nice to see another full size in the mix!

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

Helloooo All.
I'm a newbie to this site, but not overlanding. I am currently building my 3rd vehicle and maybe I'll get it right this time - unlikely. I'm not a huge fan of computers - so don't expect me on here much. But thanks to all of you who do and your invaluable advice and contributions.

Welcome Jake, you'll love everything about overlanding. Careful though, it's as contagious as it is expensive; and the ONLY way to get your money back out of your vehicle is to use it - A LOT!! So get out and enjoy every minute of it.

I LOVE the OLB motto of it doesn't matter what you drive. I started with a 1996 Landrover discovery. The Camel Trophy series was my dream and introduction to overlanding. Not a great vehicle by the way. (I don't want to debate its merits, it doesn't have any). Then a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. Vehicles really can't get much better than these!!

Then I had twins - girls. Guess what; you cannot get two rear-facing car seats into the back of a Tacoma no matter how hard you try...GRRRRRRR! And onto vehicle #3.

I'm presently building a 1969 International Scout 800A. What's that you ask. A Gargantuan money pit. That's what. If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined bank accounts they couldn't afford to make this vehicle viable. So I guess that's why I chose it.

Aside from the exploration, I'm a car nut. I love building something truly unique. That you cannot buy with any amount of money. Everyone's vehicle on here is a unique reflection of themselves. Then taking that vehicle and learning about its capabilities. What are it's upper and lower limits. Where can it take you. Then going home and improving upon (hopefully) those limits. And exploring again. And so on and so forth until we run out of gas...

I look forward to meeting as many people as I can. If your in Phoenix, or brave enough to visit here, say HI. We're always up for a cold beer or 6.
Brian & Stacey
Hello Brian & Stacey,
Twin girls eh?
Us also. Going on seven. That is the very reason that I bought the 4Runner instead of the FJ. I looked at the back "door" of the FJ and thought about me and the mrs. trying to get car seats in and out. Deal breaker. (Also I didn't care for the blind spots of the FJ.)
Overall been very happy with the 4Runner. It's been a great platform and I've bought a new one to hopefully as you say "get it right" this time. lol
Welcome to OB and try to not melt out there in AZ. I know, I know it's a dry heat. ; )
Look forward to seeing the build in pics.
Safe travels!!

Reactions: RedSoxRobbe

mtn_nic

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Huntsville
Member #

Hey!

My Name is Nicholas from Huntsville AL and I'm new to the forum, new to Overland Bound. I'm super excited and hope to join many rides and adventures!

I'm not new to overlanding or adventuring by any means though. I often camp, ride dirt bikes, hike and explore many many trails in my 1996 Chevy S10. Yes its 2wd but don't let it fool you, it's Seen more dirt than most 4x4s on the road. You'd be impressed what a lunch box locker and a come along can get you through! I would rather have a 4x4 but its what I had when I started exploring a few years ago and its just stayed around so far.

BenRogers98

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey!

My Name is Nicholas from Huntsville AL and I'm new to the forum, new to Overland Bound. I'm super excited and hope to join many rides and adventures!

I'm not new to overlanding or adventuring by any means though. I often camp, ride dirt bikes, hike and explore many many trails in my 1996 Chevy S10. Yes its 2wd but don't let it fool you, it's Seen more dirt than most 4x4s on the road. You'd be impressed what a lunch box locker and a come along can get you through! I would rather have a 4x4 but its what I had when I started exploring a few years ago and its just stayed around so far.
A fellow Huntsville Man! Welcome to OB, dude! Sounds like a cool rig!

mtn_nic

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Huntsville
Member #

A fellow Huntsville Man! Welcome to OB, dude! Sounds like a cool rig!
Thanks! I cant wait to meet the local overlanders!

And Its alright for what it is. Its always managed to get the job done for me to this point. I tired to upload some pictures but my phone wouldn't let me. I will later

Reactions: RedSoxRobbe

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

Hey!

Hi Nicholas, good to meet you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Max - welcome to Overland Bound. Rather new here myself, but had to say hey to a fellow Duramax owner. They're all I've run since, umm, 2004, I think, but in both Chev and GMC vans. Best o'luck getting yours set up the way you want. See you out there on the road sometime.

Dry roads and open skies. . .

Road

Hello all,

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

Hi everyone.

New to the forum, and a newb to overlanding. I'm working towards going full-time (working age) RV living as soon as I can, and I want to overland-up the future tow truck. Looking forward to reading and learning, and hopefully eventually contributing to the community. Glad to be here.

-Grev

Last edited:
Reactions: mtn_nic

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hi everyone.

Knew to the forum, and a newb to overlanding. I'm working towards going full-time (working age) RV living as soon as I can, and I want to overland-up the future tow truck. Looking forward to reading and learning, and hopefully eventually contributing to the community. Glad to be here.

-Grev
Welcome to OB Grevlin! Safe travels and enjoy the open road!

Reactions: mtn_nic and Grevlin