• HTML tutorial

LostCoastViking

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mckinleyville, CA
Member #

Good Morning All!

I'm leaving my 9 year career in the Marines in the next two weeks and I'm highly considering converting my truck to an overland style vehicle and taking a bunch of gear and dog and traveling the U.S. until I run out of cash or get bored.

I plan to look for dispersed camping sites in the National Parks/Forests and also friends from service all over the country. Also sleeping in the bed of the truck after converting it to a sleeping/storage area.

Looking for tips on what to do with the truck, parts, etc.

Looking at, camper top, building a sleeping storage area for the bed, new front and rear bumpers to support spare tire/hi-lift jack/jerry cans, and anything else anyone recommends.

Rig: 2016 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab 4wd with 6" Lift and 35's.View attachment 39573
Welcome to OB. Nice looking truck and co-pilot! Looks like you are well on your way for overlanding. I think the level of mods you should add, will reflect how rugged you want to get off road. Bumpers and sliders are a good way to start. I started with a stock truck and carried just a shovel, axe, tow strap and basic car camping stuff to get a feel for they places I wanted to go. It's easy to get carried away and spend thousands of dollars on mods that look cool but are not absolutely necessary. There is lots of great info on the Overland Bound youtube channel. I suggest watching a few walkaround videos for inspiration :sunglasses:

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Hi! I'm Brandon Valentine. I live in Nashville, TN, and have been into overlanding for the past couple of years ever since acquiring my current rig:

1987 Jeep Comanche Chief
4.0L AW-4 auto, factory D44 rear, HP D30 front, NP231
Wildernest camper out back rhinolined black with a National Luna Power Pack, 45qt Engel fridge, and Partner Steel stove on adventure trailer slides

I currently run a Warn 9500 CTI on Hansen front/rear bumpers, and 32" Maxxis Bighorns on Moab wheels. The rig has a 4.5" lift from Hell Creek with custom Deaver leaf springs in the rare to accommodate the extra weight of the camper / battery / fridge / etc.

I mostly do the weekend warrior thing around TN/KY/NC, etc, but have done a few bigger trips in the last few years:

One to Sonoma County, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Canyonlands, Rocky Mountain
Another to Sante Fe / Taos / San Juan Mountains / Pagosa Springs / Wolf Creek
Across Ontario in January (brr)

I'm here to meet other folks in my area who are into the hobby so I can plan some bigger trips that are hard to do solo.

Here's a few photos of my rig:

advrckr

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Temecula, CA
Member #

Hi I'm Kevin. Live in Southern California. I've been 4Wheeling and Dual Sport Motorcycling for 25 years.

Current Rig: 2016 AEV Brute Double-Cab

I spend a lot of time exploring in the four corners area and the Southwest. Look forward to being part of the Overland Bound Community.
BigRed.jpg IMG_4630.JPG

SuperExplorer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey, I'm Brian, live in the bay area.
Drive a 94 Ford Explorer, more based on go fast goods, but has 4wd and is a great do all type vehicle.
Slowly modifying it to make it more organized and fun to camp out of. Just did a 4 day camping trip out of it doing the Mojave Road. Planning a Death Valley trip in the spring.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Rockoffroad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello, Rock here from Las Vegas NV. Just starting out with 4wheelin. My current rig is a 1997 Jeep ZJ Laredo with the 5.2L. Bought it bone stock in December 2016. Put a 3.5 inch lift on it and some 31 inch tires and replaced a lot of wearable items (too many to list) in a effort to make it more reliable. I'm just about done with the maintenance portion of the build and have decided to start building for overlanding.

Attachments

Reactions: Chadlyb and T-88

Tim Bealer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lorain oh
My name is Tim and I very pleased to be a part of the Overland community.
I am new here to this type of communication. So please be patient with me.
I have spent many decades in factories and I am retired. I have a 1997 Chevy Suburban that I am working on to use for getting out there. Made my first go at it in October for a week long outing. Mostly checking out my camp setup and gear. Did not do any serious off road. The roads where I went though are for coal mining and access to camp areas. There are no services at all. So Mabry I should look into some satellite gear? Looking forward to getting it together. As you may guess when you are retired you have the time, but you are on a fixed income.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello everybody!! My name is Leo, i just moved to US (14 months ago), i'm Italian but i grew up in Venezuela.
(i'm still learning English, if i say something wrong, that's the reason).

Current Vehicle: Jeep WK 07 HEMI (look at my avatar)
Overland Experience: Novice

i wanna learn from experienced overlanders!!

Thanks!
Hi Leo and welcome to OB! Nice looking WK! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!