Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lincoln, Nebraska
First Name
Vishal
Last Name
Singh
Member #

Hi all, I'm located in Nebraska. I've had my 08 Jeep JKU for nearly 10 years and my family has used it to go on many trips. It's pretty much a budget build with mild modifications. Most recently I added a roof rack and roof top tent. After using it for the first time, I knew it was something I wanted to do more often. In my search for more information about overloading, I stumbled upon this site. And I'm glad I did as there seems to be a lot of great information here! I have some experience with offroading and traveling in my Jeep but I would say I'm probably a novice.

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

View attachment 35088 View attachment 35089 Morgan House here from Fayetteville, Arkansas! I drive a 2011 4runner and I ride a 2007 Yamaha wr450 supermoto. My husband and I grew up exploring the outdoors. We are passionate about finding adventure! We also do metal fabrication and build our own accessories for our rigs. We are in a new transition in our lives where we are looking to really dive into this beautiful blue marble we live on. I can't wait to learn from all of you and get advice from your experiences!
Hi Morgan and welcome to OB! Nice 4Runner and Yamaha! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

Welcome to OB, I love your rig! I'm planning a trip to Big Bend over thanks giving, can you give me any tips/recommendations for trails and such?
Big Bend National Park and Big Band Ranch State Park are pretty well documented so be sure and grab some literature at the park headquarters in both cases. The national park as some nice mile by mile trail guards with lots of historical information about activities in the area. I could name off the roads in the national park but what I would say it to consider starting starting near either park entrance and map a path on dirt to the other entrance. I like to start at the North end of Old Ore Road and travel South toward the hot springs. Lots of camp sites but you will need to reserve the site you think you will be stopping at. After a dip in the hot springs we take River Road East to Glenn Spring Road. Glenn Spring Road gives you access to the East end of Black Gap Road, the only none maintained path in the park. Black Gap is great, my favorite in the national park because it can be tough and normally nobody else is out there. Black Gap reconnects to the River Road about 11 miles from where you turned off at Glenn Spring. If you continue on West on River Road you will hit pavement in about 27 miles near Castolon on Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. Follow Ross Maxwell West to Santa Elena Canyon for a terrific view and hike into 1000 ft cliffs and a swimming area on the Rio Grande. After your time at Santa Elena travel North on Old Ore Road toward the West park entrance near Study Butte.
The state park trails are more remote, less traveled, and in many cases much more difficult than the national park. Let me know if you would like some info about those trails. Also look into Terlingua Ranch and for a navigation challenge try starting at either South or North County Road. There are hundreds of miles off these roads and no great maps that I have seen. North and South county roads do meet somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Hope this helps!! Let me know t
When you are there. We are also thinking of spending Thanksgiving hike in the area.

-Matt L.

Reactions: badgerwithhands

Traveler I

US
Big Bend National Park and Big Band Ranch State Park are pretty well documented so be sure and grab some literature at the park headquarters in both cases. The national park as some nice mile by mile trail guards with lots of historical information about activities in the area. I could name off the roads in the national park but what I would say it to consider starting starting near either park entrance and map a path on dirt to the other entrance. I like to start at the North end of Old Ore Road and travel South toward the hot springs. Lots of camp sites but you will need to reserve the site you think you will be stopping at. After a dip in the hot springs we take River Road East to Glenn Spring Road. Glenn Spring Road gives you access to the East end of Black Gap Road, the only none maintained path in the park. Black Gap is great, my favorite in the national park because it can be tough and normally nobody else is out there. Black Gap reconnects to the River Road about 11 miles from where you turned off at Glenn Spring. If you continue on West on River Road you will hit pavement in about 27 miles near Castolon on Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. Follow Ross Maxwell West to Santa Elena Canyon for a terrific view and hike into 1000 ft cliffs and a swimming area on the Rio Grande. After your time at Santa Elena travel North on Old Ore Road toward the West park entrance near Study Butte.
The state park trails are more remote, less traveled, and in many cases much more difficult than the national park. Let me know if you would like some info about those trails. Also look into Terlingua Ranch and for a navigation challenge try starting at either South or North County Road. There are hundreds of miles off these roads and no great maps that I have seen. North and South county roads do meet somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Hope this helps!! Let me know t
When you are there. We are also thinking of spending Thanksgiving hike in the area.

-Matt L.
Fantastic information! I'm trying to head out there next year

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

New member as of this morning, looking forward to meeting folks out there and learning as much as I can.

1) I don't take too many pictures of the Jeep, but attached a favorite moment with it, and two nieces *picture below * who I took on little bit of an adventure up Mount Mansfield, Vermont this summer. They loved testing out the Gobi Rack ladder. Had been explaining to them how I was "thinking" about a roof top tent... and of course they had to climb up and imagine what it would be like to sleep up there... I've since decided against the roof-top tent...
2) The "home-base" is Waterbury/Stowe, Vermont. However, I'll be on the road with the Jeep Dec'17 - Spring of 2018 (VT ->UT by way of East Coast tour to visit family along the way)
3) 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - which is pretty bare bones at the moment. My first big add has been the Gobi Rack. Next up in November my father has agreed to help me strip out the interior (back) to build out sleeping platform + storage. That's the tipping point to finally joining - looking forward to talking with others who have built-out their own set-ups.
4) NOVICE! Thanks to Mother Nature and living in VT, navigating sketchy stretches of "dirt/rock" is a way of life, however, very much a novice and want to be safe and a good steward in the process.

Thank you!
Instagram is @jennifer.langille

View attachment 35060
Welcome Jennifer! Awesome rig! I think you are going to have a lot of fun in it!!

Reactions: Matt L.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Hi all, I'm located in Nebraska. I've had my 08 Jeep JKU for nearly 10 years and my family has used it to go on many trips. It's pretty much a budget build with mild modifications. Most recently I added a roof rack and roof top tent. After using it for the first time, I knew it was something I wanted to do more often. In my search for more information about overloading, I stumbled upon this site. And I'm glad I did as there seems to be a lot of great information here! I have some experience with offroading and traveling in my Jeep but I would say I'm probably a novice.

Welcome! Very cool tent!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Hi dudes! I'd heard of Overland Bound before I bought my rig, but didn't actually visit this site til two things happened: first, I noticed an emblem on Lucy, and OB member Chris Partida put one of his cards underneath my wiper with the URL to this site, and his member number.

So here I am! I'd love to get connected up with local guys and plan some adventures.

Regarding my past experience, well I've been in love with bite sized, 2-10 day offroad camping/shooting/surfing/climbing trips for several years now and never knew Overlanding is the general name for what I'd been doing. That being said, I certainly know that I don't know quite a lot, and look forward to learning from some OB vets.

Burbank, CA
94 4Runner 4x4

Not the best pix, yet, but here's some none the less

Lucy says hi

Lucy says good morning, and thanks for sleeping inside of me

Lucy is annoyed she has to tow things sometimes, but still poses for pictures with a smile

Lucy posing next to the first thing that always gets set up, Mr. Hammock

Lucy likes having pretty ladies sit on her tail

Serious pose while scouting

My main adventure buddy and I the day before the eclipse in Oregon

Dunno why people look down on selfie sticks. I love them

#hammocklife

#blm #shooting

#hashtag
Welcome from the Inland Empire! Those business cards are a nice touch...don't you think? Hope to see ya on the trails brother!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
View attachment 35088 View attachment 35089 Morgan House here from Fayetteville, Arkansas! I drive a 2011 4runner and I ride a 2007 Yamaha wr450 supermoto. My husband and I grew up exploring the outdoors. We are passionate about finding adventure! We also do metal fabrication and build our own accessories for our rigs. We are in a new transition in our lives where we are looking to really dive into this beautiful blue marble we live on. I can't wait to learn from all of you and get advice from your experiences!
Welcome from Southern California! You will need to post some pics of your guys work or even start a rig build thread once you get the hang of things here.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Helloooo overland bound ......I'm Chad from Washington state....on the eastern side just up against the blue mountain range outside of Walla Walla. Basically wine country of Washington and middle of nowhere. I was blessed to be raised in the woods with a love of nature, fishing, camping, and just plain wandering around until until were stuck in the mud or snow. My current vehicle is my 2011 Toyota tacoma trd sport access cab aka The Black Pearl.I've driven about everything and anything on adventures.I'm a classic car junky...love anything the has wheels and then some...Huge fan of my YouTube family. ..watch Michael and the Overland Bound bunch for sometime...Jake, Annie and Jade of course...and many others. I just decided to go ououtside my comfort zone and join in this family because I really like what I see in this community. ..i'm excited to be here and look forward to joining in the fun and adventures with all of you...thank you all...20170515_193857.jpg20170520_113506.jpg20170515_183834.jpg

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Helloooo overland bound ......I'm Chad from Washington state....on the eastern side just up against the blue mountain range outside of Walla Walla. Basically wine country of Washington and middle of nowhere. I was blessed to be raised in the woods with a love of nature, fishing, camping, and just plain wandering around until until were stuck in the mud or snow. My current vehicle is my 2011 Toyota tacoma trd sport access cab aka The Black Pearl.I've driven about everything and anything on adventures.I'm a classic car junky...love anything the has wheels and then some...Huge fan of my YouTube family. ..watch Michael and the Overland Bound bunch for sometime...Jake, Annie and Jade of course...and many others. I just decided to go ououtside my comfort zone and join in this family because I really like what I see in this community. ..i'm excited to be here and look forward to joining in the fun and adventures with all of you...thank you all...View attachment 35096View attachment 35097View attachment 35098
Hi Chadlyb and welcome to OB! Nice looking Tacoma! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Helloooo overland bound ......I'm Chad from Washington state....on the eastern side just up against the blue mountain range outside of Walla Walla. Basically wine country of Washington and middle of nowhere. I was blessed to be raised in the woods with a love of nature, fishing, camping, and just plain wandering around until until were stuck in the mud or snow. My current vehicle is my 2011 Toyota tacoma trd sport access cab aka The Black Pearl.I've driven about everything and anything on adventures.I'm a classic car junky...love anything the has wheels and then some...Huge fan of my YouTube family. ..watch Michael and the Overland Bound bunch for sometime...Jake, Annie and Jade of course...and many others. I just decided to go ououtside my comfort zone and join in this family because I really like what I see in this community. ..i'm excited to be here and look forward to joining in the fun and adventures with all of you...thank you all...View attachment 35096View attachment 35097View attachment 35098
Welcome Chad! Awesome Rig!

Reactions: Chadlyb

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Hello
Rig: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Experience: Novice, Did a lot of camping and exploring as a kid and some by bicycle while in the US Navy.
Hello Trekkieusn from Southern California! Welcome to the Overland Bound community. Your rig looks awesome...Subaru is a fantastic overland platform.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

philip teng

Rank III

Influencer II

New member here, just saying hi. I don;t have any pictures to upload yet. I have to upload that from my Iphone to the Mac first. Looking to learn from the community and also get information on trails, trips and gear.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Hello all!

-I'm new here, but hopefully you'll all be sick of me soon enough... :tonguewink: The name's Jeff!

Current vehicles: 2016 Chevy Colorado (Diesel, Quad Cab, 6ft bed), 2004 Kawasaki KLR650
Overland experience: Novice hub locker on 4 wheels. Intermediate adventurer on 2 wheels.

-We're a SofTopper, an AirBedz truck mattress, and two Action Packers into outfitting the new rig, but we've been having a BLAST so far. Got the new truck just in time to road trip our way out from San Luis Obispo, CA to Denver and back this past summer. Tried to get the lil beast as dirty as we could when the opportunity presented itself... The views are just better that way.

-Here's a morning wake-up outside of Zion NP, up on Gooseberry Mesa:

-Looking forward to learning a lot from the community here!

Love and rechargeable batteries,
=jeff
Awesome spot. Did you come in off UT9 or UT59? I'd like to see if I can camp on Gooseberry, but be closer to Zion than on the south side of that canyon

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Hello my name is Shane from Nashville, TN. I am a novice to overlanding, but love to get on the trails. I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with a few mods, with more to come real soon. This is where she started,View attachment 35119 Where she is now,View attachment 35120 , out on one of the trail rides, this is one of my favorite photos. View attachment 35121
Welcome to the community Shane! Glad to have you with us. That's a sick Jeep you've got.

Justin Cadiz

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hawaii
Member #

Aloha everyone,

1) See attached photo
2) Hawaii
3) 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO: C4 Fab Rock Sliders, 17" FN Wheel Five Stars
4) Novice - Not much off roading here in Oahu besides to the beach and fishing spots. Looking forward to more adventure and learning more about my rig. Vehicle serves as my fishing and family rig.

Attachments

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Aloha everyone,

1) See attached photo
2) Hawaii
3) 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO: C4 Fab Rock Sliders, 17" FN Wheel Five Stars
4) Novice - Not much off roading here in Oahu besides to the beach and fishing spots. Looking forward to more adventure and learning more about my rig. Vehicle serves as my fishing and family rig.
Welcome Justin! Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: Justin Cadiz