First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hey All,

Been a member for a few months, but finally made it to the East Bay / Tri Valley meet up today and realized I should finally post!

Name: Kurt Bales
Rig: 2016 Chevy Colorado
Experience: In a prior life it was moderate/intermediate back home in Australia, and feels like falling back into novice territory all over again!

Getting back into things after all my international travel plans went out the window!

Most of my trips include my trusty co-pilot Maggie (the black lab) who absolutely loves road trips!
Hello Kurt and welcome to Overland Bound! Exit 143!!!

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hey All,

Been a member for a few months, but finally made it to the East Bay / Tri Valley meet up today and realized I should finally post!

Experience: In a prior life it was moderate/intermediate back home in Australia, and feels like falling back into novice territory all over again!

Getting back into things after all my international travel plans went out the window!

Most of my trips include my trusty co-pilot Maggie (the black lab) who absolutely loves road trips!
Welcome Kurt

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
Hi everyone. I’m a new member

1)Los Angeles, CA
2)LC 200 series Land Cruiser
3)Novice overland experience.
Toquerville Falls was my first off-road trip

Looking forward for amazing trips, meeting people and just get out there.
Welcome to the club, your going to enjoy the wealth of information, routes suggested and depth of experience exchanged at this site.

Cheers from Escondido

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
Hello been camping car camping schooling camping for years. Got my Jeep and gues now I’m overlanding. Just went my first overlanding adventure with a another person in eastern Montana. Ready to do it again and I’m still have two days of this trip left. Thank for a group for like minded people. I’m very simple and a blast with very little here is my 2010 Jeep unlimited rubicon and tent setup. View attachment 209532
Welcome to the group! I have found this group to be one of the best! Information shared, routes and suggested routes along with the depth of knowledge here is amazing.

Cheers

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Greetings Everyone!

View attachment 209406
  • Name - Jonathan
  • Vehicle - 1993 Ford F350 7.3L IDI XLT CC LB SRW 4x4 that I have owned since 1999
  • Overlanding Experience - on and off for over 30 years if you mean 4wheeling to a destination and sleeping/camping out of the back of a truck.
  • Current Homestead - Lexington, SC
  • Other Hobbies - Paintball, Wood/Metal working, tinkering, reading and being a Grandfather (called "Grumpy") to River Rose
I am just getting back into this I haven't been real 4wheeling or camping in over 10 years and I really miss being out in the woods. My wife and daughter's family have no interest in camping so it looks like I will be doing some monthly "Overlanding" adventures on my own for a while [which does not bother me since I enjoy some solitude occasionally]. Then when River is a little older and I can pry her away from her parents and her Grandmother I'll start introducing her to the fun of camping.

My Truck is in the process of getting some upgrades
  • The used ARE Cap in the image above just got restored with new window and bed seals and will serve as my "home" for the time being while on the road
  • Gone through and rebuilt the driveline and all of the brakes. New U-Joints all around and pulled all 4
  • Since I need to replace some worn out bushings throughout the truck so I have purchased and waiting on Sky Mfg RSK 2" Kit and Rear 2" Conversion Kit and swap out my original springs with X code Super duty springs. This will help a lot with ride and articulation. Though this beast will not be doing a lot of severe off-roading and tight trails. I just want to get out in the mountains to some good private views.
  • Dropping both fuel tanks this weekend to install new sending units and just got done rebuild all of the rest of the fuel system
  • Already have dual batteries (Diesel) and put together a quick "house" battery setup with my own charge controller and BougeRV solar panel. This will serve as a temporary setup for the time being while I shake the rust of myself and shake down my setup
  • Have all of my old camping kitchen equipment and a cot in the back will serve as my bed for now.
  • Overall right now just getting the old girl reliable and waiting for a little cooler temperature to start getting out there again
  • No Refrig yet I'll work out of a trusty cooler for a while since I am only planning on short weekend trips to begin with.
Hello Jonathan, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello!

Glad to have found you guys. No pic of my rig yet as I just ordered it a week ago. Once it comes I'll be trading in my stock 4Runner for a new 2021 Ford Raptor (with the 37s).

Very excited to learn about the best way to build up my rig from scratch. Thanks in advance to everyone here who helps me on the way!

Matt
Hello Matt, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello been camping car camping schooling camping for years. Got my Jeep and gues now I’m overlanding. Just went my first overlanding adventure with a another person in eastern Montana. Ready to do it again and I’m still have two days of this trip left. Thank for a group for like minded people. I’m very simple and a blast with very little here is my 2010 Jeep unlimited rubicon and tent setup. View attachment 209532
Hello Timothy, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey All,

Hello Kurt, welcome to the OB family.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey All,

Kurt it was great to meet you! Glad you made it out on Sunday!

WarpedKodiak667

Rank I

Member I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
First Name
Coatney
Last Name
Cunningham
Member #

Service Branch
Civ contractor/ tow
Ok... *sets up soap box*

"I'm on a quest....* nope, nope.. too cheesey*

Name's Kodiak.. on paper I live in Beaverton, OR and when I'm home.... I run with the dysfunctional misfits of the PDX overland crew... most of which run with Frontier Overland too..

I own a 2016 Jeep cherokee Trailhawk.. her name is the Heathen_hawk but when I'm on the trail... I tend to go with the Moniker.....of Super Fiat!!(da duh duh duhhhh)

I talk a lot of crap with my friends...that's half the fun. I enjoy proving people wrong about how capable my lil jeep is...

Life has happened.. wife and I left Oregon last april to drive for Panther as expediters.. 3 months later she was taken by Pancreatic cancer...since then ive been in a flux.. my jeep lives with my folks in Fayettenam, NC... I drive a truck OTR and i still maintain my residence in Oregon... I don't really "Live" anywhere...

I joined this group because I really am on a quest of sorts.. to build a full-time overlanding rig. I've got my sights set on purchasing a Ram Powerwagon around the end of the year and I was just looking for local groups to learn wheeling a full size truck.. aside from some baja driving I did with my work truck in Iraq way back when I was a contractor... my only experience with overlanding and wheeling was my 97 TJ when I was in college, my 90 XJ and recently my 16 KL.. I drove a tow truck in Portland, OR for 5 years... so im not afraid of winches *and whips and chains excite me* ‍♂...

I'm just looking for a group of people to fit in with while i try and build this rig. When I'm home I'm FB_IMG_1555916329797.jpgFB_IMG_1555876777147.jpg20190423_151156.jpgIMG_20210601_113108_803.jpgusually at the beach in my jeep. Parked away from everyone else at ft fisher access.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok... *sets up soap box*

Name's Kodiak.. on paper I live in Beaverton, OR and when I'm home.... I run with the dysfunctional misfits of the PDX overland crew... most of which run with Frontier Overland too..

I own a 2016 Jeep cherokee Trailhawk.. her name is the Heathen_hawk but when I'm on the trail... I tend to go with the Moniker.....of Super Fiat!!(da duh duh duhhhh)

I talk a lot of crap with my friends...that's half the fun. I enjoy proving people wrong about how capable my lil jeep is...

Life has happened.. wife and I left Oregon last april to drive for Panther as expediters.. 3 months later she was taken by Pancreatic cancer...since then ive been in a flux.. my jeep lives with my folks in Fayettenam, NC... I drive a truck OTR and i still maintain my residence in Oregon... I don't really "Live" anywhere...

I joined this group because I really am on a quest of sorts.. to build a full-time overlanding rig. I've got my sights set on purchasing a Ram Powerwagon around the end of the year and I was just looking for local groups to learn wheeling a full size truck.. aside from some baja driving I did with my work truck in Iraq way back when I was a contractor... my only experience with overlanding and wheeling was my 97 TJ when I was in college, my 90 XJ and recently my 16 KL.. I drove a tow truck in Portland, OR for 5 years... so im not afraid of winches *and whips and chains excite me* ‍♂...

I'm just looking for a group of people to fit in with while i try and build this rig. When I'm home I'm View attachment 209653View attachment 209654View attachment 209655View attachment 209656usually at the beach in my jeep. Parked away from everyone else at ft fisher access.

Hello , Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @jcgraves3 is your closest member representative when you are in the PDX area. John hosts a monthly meetup on the first Wednesday of each month.

Since you are on the road so much, I would highly recommend @Sandpoint Steve monthly Inland Northwest Conference Call on the 3rd Sunday of each month. It’s a great place for new and old Overlanders to ask questions and learn more about Overlanding.

To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Ok... *sets up soap box*

I'm just looking for a group of people to fit in with while i try and build this rig. When I'm home I'm View attachment 209653View attachment 209654View attachment 209655View attachment 209656usually at the beach in my jeep. Parked away from everyone else at ft fisher access.
Welcome!

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Ok... *sets up soap box*

Hey man, I’m new to it a bit too. Looking to get out more as well. I got a 02 F250 that took me from Vegas to Ensenada/La Paz a few times with a race team. Looking to get into OR more. If you’re ever in need of anything or anyone to go roam with I’ll give it a shot. I’m in Vancouver, WA a bit north but not crazy. I go to Central OR a bunch, Madras too.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey man, I’m new to it a bit too. Looking to get out more as well. I got a 02 F250 that took me from Vegas to Ensenada/La Paz a few times with a race team. Looking to get into OR more. If you’re ever in need of anything or anyone to go roam with I’ll give it a shot. I’m in Vancouver, WA a bit north but not crazy. I go to Central OR a bunch, Madras too.
When heading over to southern Oregon (Madrass) look up @Big G, he is the member rep down that way.

Contributor I

Casper, WY, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gillihan
Great to discover the group.my wife and I love to back ro ad and explore. We had a 99 disco up until last year when we decided to get in a new 2020 4Runner ORP. We have made several trips into the mountains and 4 trips with another coming up in Utah, Moab area. We are considering a drive to the Bahia this winter and that is how I found this group.I hope we can meet folks, get and give great advice and perhaps meet up with wayward travelers! Cheers!

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Great to discover the group.my wife and I love to back ro ad and explore. We had a 99 disco up until last year when we decided to get in a new 2020 4Runner ORP. We have made several trips into the mountains and 4 trips with another coming up in Utah, Moab area. We are considering a drive to the Bahia this winter and that is how I found this group.I hope we can meet folks, get and give great advice and perhaps meet up with wayward travelers! Cheers!
Welcome

Reactions: Shahn and Kent R