Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

Hello from Florida (northern). I’ve just returned from a month long trip to Utah. The biggest mistake/problem I had was over packing, I had way too much “stuff”. Think long and hard on what you’re taking.

Reactions: OldManJack

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Looking forward to hitting the trail soon. My wife and I are looking forward to departing on a long overdue trip after the holidays. Have been in the preparation phase and getting itchy to begin. Very thankful for this resource and any and all advice.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Hello from Florida (northern). I’ve just returned from a month long trip to Utah. The biggest mistake/problem I had was over packing, I had way too much “stuff”. Think long and hard on what you’re taking.
Good thinking; I also know we’re all different, but what were some things you shouldn’t have brought along? Thanks!

DirtySox

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tallahassee, Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Mabry
Member #

Clothes, camera gear, cooking utensils, and tools. I had at least two weeks' worth of clothing. A small bottle of laundry detergent and a handful of quarters would have remedied that. I'm not a professional photographer, but you would have thought I was. I ended up just using my phone. Tools, I was prepared for any repairs. Cooking utensils, I could have started a catering business.

My recommendations:

Clothing; Pack your rain gear in a small pack. And keep it out of the way. Three pairs of pants, and shirts. Five pairs of underwear and socks. Sweatpants. You won't have to wear fresh clothes every day.

Camera Gear; I have a DSLR and will be taking it with me from now on. Space-wise it'll be a splurge but worth it.

Tools; Just the basics, pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, wire cutters, duct tape, a few commonly used nuts, and bolts will work just fine (Harbor Freights are everywhere.) If you have room, maybe a compact socket set. Make sure you have everything needed to change a tire and a good pair of work gloves.

Cooking utensils; all personal preference; if you're a "cook," take all you'll need. Often, you'll find yourself tired, so a "heat and eat" will work just fine. I take a cast-iron skillet, medium pot, and some utensils, and I eat out of the pot quite often.

Looking back, I think the most important thing is how you pack. Make sure you have everything arranged in a way that you know what's in what container or bin and that you're not constantly "digging" for something. I'm using the Plano storage trunks. They're relatively cheap and hold a good bit. They don't claim to be waterproof, but they work just fine in a drizzle. Harder rain, throw a tarp over them.

Reactions: OldManJack

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Jack, welcome to the OB family.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Looking forward to hitting the trail soon. My wife and I are looking forward to departing on a long overdue trip after the holidays. Have been in the preparation phase and getting itchy to begin. Very thankful for this resource and any and all advice.
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Clothes, camera gear, cooking utensils, and tools. I had at least two weeks' worth of clothing. A small bottle of laundry detergent and a handful of quarters would have remedied that. I'm not a professional photographer, but you would have thought I was. I ended up just using my phone. Tools, I was prepared for any repairs. Cooking utensils, I could have started a catering business.

My recommendations:

Clothing; Pack your rain gear in a small pack. And keep it out of the way. Three pairs of pants, and shirts. Five pairs of underwear and socks. Sweatpants. You won't have to wear fresh clothes every day.

Camera Gear; I have a DSLR and will be taking it with me from now on. Space-wise it'll be a splurge but worth it.

Tools; Just the basics, pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, wire cutters, duct tape, a few commonly used nuts, and bolts will work just fine (Harbor Freights are everywhere.) If you have room, maybe a compact socket set. Make sure you have everything needed to change a tire and a good pair of work gloves.

Cooking utensils; all personal preference; if you're a "cook," take all you'll need. Often, you'll find yourself tired, so a "heat and eat" will work just fine. I take a cast-iron skillet, medium pot, and some utensils, and I eat out of the pot quite often.

Looking back, I think the most important thing is how you pack. Make sure you have everything arranged in a way that you know what's in what container or bin and that you're not constantly "digging" for something. I'm using the Plano storage trunks. They're relatively cheap and hold a good bit. They don't claim to be waterproof, but they work just fine in a drizzle. Harder rain, throw a tarp over them.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the detail. I needed to read this post.