Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I wish I could make it this would be my first run with this group. Leaving for Southwest Oregon on Monday. I know the area very well. Have fun. Kurt
Have a good trip. Let us know when you get back.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Looks like there are two options to get there.
The track more to the West looks to be "faster" more asphalt. We need to explore both.
For those not able to spend the night it would be nice if there is a VERY easy trail there and back.
Check out the google link and I have attached gpx and kml files at well.

Google Maps Link
https://goo.gl/maps/Zp9ZW5iYrBD2
I was up there earlier this week, The route around the peak to the south is blocked by a kelly hump at the tight switchback on NF 439 at the y- junction west of the peak. Junction at:
47°34'55.8"N 116°42'37.2"W
Bring your limb cutters for the last 500' to the top, you'll need them!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I believe it’s hike to the top. Check out the area on the Forest Service interactive map. All the open trails are shown.

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
@Mike Dubya Did you get all the way to the top? Did you get over kelly hump or did you go around the other way?
I went around the north trail of Mt. Coeur D'Alene. I made it to the top, but there is no view there from the campsites. There is a lower camp site on a ridge with a good view at 47.586083, -116.721573. Less bugs than the top, but has alot of trash around. Bring a rake and a couple heavy yard bags if you want to camp there. Have a good time, wish i could make it!

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Thanks for making it guys! I had a great time.

@Mike Dubya We were able to make it around both ways. We saw the Kelly Hump but it was on a different track than the one we were on.

We definitely added some pin-stripes the last half-mile or so to the top. We kept on and found the lookout spot and cleaned up the garbage and had lunch.

@chuckoverland Did you guys camp? How was it, what coordinates? I'll definitely be back up there in coming weekends to camp.

Please post any pics you have! (and what's the trick to embedding them in the page rather than linking as attachment?)
-Aaron

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Sweet! Nice shot. May need to steel it for a Rally point banner unless you get there first! :)

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

More pics and such to come. This was an awesome spot. Very narrow track up with only 1 place to turn around when you are almost to the top. LOTS of pinstripes but worth it. Hard to find level ground but if you were to get creative you could probably camp 3-4 rigs up here. It was gusty up there but the views made it ok.IMG_0424.JPG IMG-0210.JPG

Attachments

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So the videos from one of my phones made it to ICloud, I'll put up an extras video soon, unfortunately us coming down from Red Horse Mtn. was done on my work phone which isn't connected to my apple account.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Try hooking it up with a USB cable it "should" work.