Medano Pass in Colorado

• HTML tutorial

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

Does anyone have any experience with the Medano Pass in Southeast Colorado. Need a little insite on the difficulty of the trail and when it opens normally. Thanks in advance....

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Yes. It's a beautiful drive and not technical. We've featured editorial on that region, including Great Sand Dunes, in previous issues of OutdoorX4 Magazine. Pick-up a print subscription and check out all our past issues in digital. :)

Reactions: RainGoat and Boort

HikerT

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, CO
Member #

Yes. It's a beautiful drive and not technical. We've featured editorial on that region, including Great Sand Dunes, in previous issues of OutdoorX4 Magazine. Pick-up a print subscription and check out all our past issues in digital. :)
Will do thanks... do you know when it opens?

Reactions: Boort

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Does anyone have any experience with the Medano Pass in Southeast Colorado. Need a little insite on the difficulty of the trail and when it opens normally. Thanks in advance....

It’s been 10 years but I did it in a stock 2002 Pathfinder. A Dodge 2500 van did it at the same time though I had to pull him out of the sand. There are multiple water crossings, some a little deep but not swift & reasonable for a stock Pathfinder (might vary seasonally-I was in Sept/Oct). Also some fairly loose sand on the Western side in the National Park. Check YouTube for some vids, I know I Am Jake did one there. Have Fun, it was lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: HikerT

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Will do thanks... do you know when it opens?

It depends on snow fall in the region. Past experience for us has been it doesn't typically open up until June 1, sometimes all the way to July 1. We would suggest contacting the Great Sand Dunes NP visitor center for current info. And as RainGoat noted above, it's a lovely awesome place. Have fun!!

Reactions: RainGoat and HikerT