Med kit

• HTML tutorial

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Do you get shot at very often? I tend to pack: bandage scissors, wound closure like butterflys, 4x4, non stick dressings from 2"-10", vaseline, neosporin, alcahol wipes, betadine swabs, koban, gloves, ... stuff for simple wounds so you can get to a med clinic. Vary the content based on activity. Like I'd add blister kits for hiking.

Same company makes a $45 suture/staple kit. Nice! But my buddies wont let me stitch on them. :(

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

Do you get shot at very often? I tend to pack: bandage scissors, wound closure like butterflys, 4x4, non stick dressings from 2"-10", vaseline, neosporin, alcahol wipes, betadine swabs, koban, gloves, ... stuff for simple wounds so you can get to a med clinic. Vary the content based on activity. Like I'd add blister kits for hiking.

Same company makes a $45 suture/staple kit. Nice! But my buddies wont let me stitch on them. :(
Just because its hyped for gun shots doesnt mean it cant be used for something else.
Example would but using a chain saw to clear a trail and hit your leg. Tourniquet or hemostats could be used for bleeding control. Take a fall looking over the edge and break a rib or your chest found a tree on the way down? That could turn into a pneumothorax. Needle thoracotomy is in your future.

Its better to have and not need my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

Personally I like to build out my own kits, but I always carry equipment that is designed to handle gunshot wounds...first off I spend a good deal of time at the range and while I have never been shot I have been hit with ricochets one of which had to be dug out of me. I also had a buddy get hit with buckshot from a careless hunter while out hunting...so I live by the better safe then sorry concept.

The kit itself seems pretty good though and is definitely equipped to handle a number of bleeding emergencies.

Reactions: Jube

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
"Needle thoracotomy is in your future". I have a friend who is a highly trained EMT/Paramedic and even with his level of training they are not allowed to use this procedure in the field. As with many things, the decompression needle included in this kit can cause more harm than good in the hands of someone without detailed training on how to use it.

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

"Needle thoracotomy is in your future". I have a friend who is a highly trained EMT/Paramedic and even with his level of training they are not allowed to use this procedure in the field. As with many things, the decompression needle included in this kit can cause more harm than good in the hands of someone without detailed training on how to use it.
Definitely won't disagree with you there, as with any medical equipment, you should be properly trained in its use before attempting anything.

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

EMT's have different regulations depending on the county theyre in. As a EMT-B I had all sorts of training that I wasnt allowed to use. They would only allow EMT-B's to transport noncritical patients or drive for paramedics after being accepted in the bridge program. But other, more rural counties, would allow full use of those skills.
Now I will say my experience is 10 years old so things may have changed a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jube

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I don't think it hurts to carry more medical kit then you know how to use. You may find others that can (Trained/Qualified). Nothing requires you to use everything in your bag. Only use what you are trained for.

PS: I understand Remote EMT, trains on more intrusive procedures, given that determinate medical care can be many days away. I'm considering the upgrade from a EMT to Remote EMT from Remote Medical International. Since my Overlanding travels take me to Remote areas in South America, this could come in handy (I hope not, but better safe then sorry)

https://www.remotemedical.com/training/remote-medicine-upgrade-and-recertification-for-emt-rmur/

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I agree there are a number of items which may never be needed, however there is often a lot of situational overlap, that may justify having them on hand. I built up my own bag, with the following being a few of the items inside: basic OTC meds, such as liquid Benadryl, ibuprofen, aspirin and polysporin. Basic cloth band-Aids, tape, Coban (vet wrap also works), cling, 4x4s, sterile water, isopropyl alcohol, formable splinting material, Tourniquet, clotting agent, chest seal, gloves, stapler, hemostats, tweezers, shears and a few other bits and pieces. That is the stiff that comes to mind, as I sit here.

There is no end to what you can add to your kit, however it is a balance between space and realistic needs/application.

Reactions: Jeff Graham