md_overlander's JKUR build thread

• HTML tutorial

md_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia, Maryland
Member #

Thought I would have a catch-all place for the JKU Rubicon build here. I recently started to build up my Jeep after a year of owning it and figuring out its capabilities, what I needed to do to get where I want the Jeep to be at and understand what I could do to make overlanding more fun.

IMG_3169.JPG
From the first trip in GWNF. I did the Peter's Mill & Tasker's Gap run in an afternoon.

IMG_3184.JPG

One of my first add-ons/mods was the Onboard-Air. I still need to work out the issue with the ignition power lead as the toggle switch stopped working after 2 wheeling trips.

IMG_3548.JPG

Spent a weekend with some friends at 4Wheel2Heal (If your a veteran and want to know more info PM me) at the Cove Campground during the BigDogs Spring Fling. Had a blast, ended up with 2 destroyed tires which catapulted the build into a quicker pace than expected.

IMG_3669.JPG IMG_3670.JPG

Now the big part of the build. Suspension and Tires. I chose to go with the Metalcloak 3.5" True Dual Rate kit, and their Rocksport Shocks. Nitto Trail Grapplers 315/70R17 on my stock wheels.

IMG_3750.JPG
Meaty tires!

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG
Hockey pucks anyone?

IMG_4051.JPG
Full droop.

IMG_4064.JPG
all buttoned up and ready to hit the dirt!

Here's how she sits today.

IMG_4145.JPG

I'm planning to switch back to the hardtop for the winter soon since I have a few trips that need the trunk space in September and October.

You can find me on instagram @4_lo_and_slo as well.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

md_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia, Maryland
Member #

Looks good!

How do you find the ARB compressor aside from the toggle switch issues?
Thanks! It works really well, I've only used it with my old 30" tires, I have not tried it yet with the new 35's. The new digital gauge is really nice and build stout. I have used the old analog gauge in the past when I borrowed it from someone, and I really like the digital one a lot as it gives you readouts for every .5 psi.

Reactions: 15Canyon

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Thanks! It works really well, I've only used it with my old 30" tires, I have not tried it yet with the new 35's. The new digital gauge is really nice and build stout. I have used the old analog gauge in the past when I borrowed it from someone, and I really like the digital one a lot as it gives you readouts for every .5 psi.
Hey there, am I right to assume that you have mounted your ARB Compressor under the bonnet (hood)? Do you open the bonnet each time you use it? How much space would it need to breath? I'm thinking about fitting one under my seat in my Land Rover Defender (in the seat box). I was going to run a hose out so that I can have the hose connection somewhere more suitable for tyre inflation / deflation. in the future I hope to have Air Lockers fitted so I clearly don't want my compressor somewhere where it can't breath properly. any thoughts?

Reactions: md_overlander

md_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia, Maryland
Member #

Hey there, am I right to assume that you have mounted your ARB Compressor under the bonnet (hood)? Do you open the bonnet each time you use it? How much space would it need to breath? I'm thinking about fitting one under my seat in my Land Rover Defender (in the seat box). I was going to run a hose out so that I can have the hose connection somewhere more suitable for tyre inflation / deflation. in the future I hope to have Air Lockers fitted so I clearly don't want my compressor somewhere where it can't breath properly. any thoughts?
I do have it under the hood at this time, I open it for fresh air instead of hot engine air. I do have plans to add an external breather and an external quick-connect chuck somewhere around the front bumper, which I haven't got to doing yet. I did get the parts to do it in the last week so I'm hoping to do it this week sometime.

I have a Rubicon which has the electronic locker as long as it works I have no plans to switch to an air locker. For your case I'd do it inside the cab or run an intake/breather line from your airbox if its enclosed. I have a CAI that came with the Jeep when I bought it so for now I was going to run it into the window cowling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dj_mccomas