Macomb, Michigan, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Riss
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
I use two of the copycat version. I figure at 1/10th the price they are almost disposable, even if I destroy them after one use.
Well, I was planning on that but my cousin got his hand on 4 MaxTrax so he plans on giving me two and keeping 2 for himself.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We went with two boards, we travel alone but also have a winch with plenty of line if the level of stuck gets too bad for the one pair. We did get the genuine version under the buy once cry once rules, hate to have them not work when I really need them. Went with the dark green color so they don't stand out on the rig any more than they have to.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
We went with two boards, we travel alone but also have a winch with plenty of line if the level of stuck gets too bad for the one pair. We did get the genuine version under the buy once cry once rules, hate to have them not work when I really need them. Went with the dark green color so they don't stand out on the rig any more than they have to.
We carry four, dark green, on the roof. They blend in and don't attract much attention.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have 2 max trax and 2 PAP, mounted 2 on each side. I got lucky and found them both about a month apart on my local Craigslist. $50 for each set!
See my threads on how I mounted them;

DSCF8413.JPG

Reactions: Punk'n_Willy

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We carry four, dark green, on the roof. They blend in and don't attract much attention.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Went with the X-Bull copy versions (Orchish-gen 2), along with the dark olive green version so they were less conspicuous to thieves. I bought my 1st pair, but for the price, I bought a second pair on reflection of thinking they were a good value for the peace of mind they offered if and when they might be needed for a self recovery separate from a winch or relying on others for help.OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Last edited:

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
That's a different setup. Do you have to take them down if you need the spare because of the license plate?
No, the boards and the plate are fastened to a shelf above the tire and the plate will flex enough to get the tire out when needed. Here is a closer picture from when I was building it.

From the side.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I use two knock-offs, and have them mounted high. I really don't wheel hard enough to think I need four.
====================================================================================================
I agree, 2 should be sufficiant for most foreseeable instances. It is when you have a heavy vehicle or are using them in cold temperature's that having 4 might be a better option. That decision on how many, becomes easier when the cheaper alternatives are purchased. Cold weather along with heavy trucks are when you see a lot of the boards fail. If I was doing beach driving/dune running, the ability to bridge or create a road would have me at least take my 2nd pair in their travel beg with me. I am still contemplating a mounting point, but am probably going to mount 1 set on top of my bed box. The other will travel in it's bag in the truck bed, as I have a bunch of recovery gear in bags to compliment my winch. But that piece of gear would be regulated to stand by, as a strap or boards would be tried first.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't own any! Most of my travel is the western desert and Baja. I deal with sand and mood dust, I have not found a need, I will air down and use a shovel to get out. I do run beaches and dunes all the time. The secret is to stop early and not dig a hole with your tires.

Reactions: Desert Runner