Maxtrax Mount for Tacoma Bed Rails

• HTML tutorial

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

I thought I would share my DIY Maxtrax mounting solution. If you have an angle grinder, this will cost you ~$7 in hardware (not including a padlock). I'm sure this will work with other bed rail systems, but the dimensions might not be the same for the hardware.

20171217_141524.jpg

Hardware:
(2) 5/8" Galvanized carriage bolts
(4) Galvanized nuts
(4) Fender washers

Instructions:
The bed rail slot is 1" tall, so you need to grind down some of the bolt heads on both sides for it to slide in. Make it line up with the square part of the stud so it will slide in the rail system correctly.

20171217_142110.jpg

Next, figure out how long you want the stud to extend. I left room for an additional set if I ever get them. Make sure to account for the nut, and leave about 3/4" to drill a hole for a padlock. Thread a nut on, then cut the stud to length. Also, grind the last 3/4" or so of the stud flat so you can drill a hole. Do both sides unless you want to break some drill bits like me (the bit will catch the threads when it comes out and snap smaller bits). Use a punch to prevent the bit from walking when you start drilling. When you are done grinding, unthread the nut to remove any burs left from grinding.

20171217_142137.jpg

The bolts can now go into the bed rail. I used the Maxtrax to eyeball where to tighten them down. I used one washer then a nut for each.

20171217_142402.jpg

Now you need to grind down the last two washers so they fit the contour of the Maxtrax. I just eyeballed it until it fit.

20171217_142524.jpg

Now put it all together.

20171217_141606.jpg

20171217_141547.jpg

Notes:
- I couldn't find any wing nuts that large, but I don't think they would work due to where the hole is at on the Maxtrax. I think the wings would hit the contours and not tighten down.
- The 5/8" carriage bolt was too large to fit through the holes in my Hi-Lift, but smaller sizes work. The square part of the stud on the smaller sizes doesn't fit as nicely. You could probably make this work for a Hi-Lift by grinding both sides down like I did for the padlock, because I was able to slide that part of these bolts through the holes in mine.
- I haven't heard any rattling, and I don't expect any due to the rigidity of the Maxtrax. If it becomes an issue, I might put some foam on the bed below.

Attachments

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Great idea. And SIMPLE.. I've been trying to figure out what to use in the rails on my Tundra.. NOW you've opened up the door for me to start buying the things that need clamped.. My wife will complain about you at a later date..HAHAHA..

Reactions: Taco Zach

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

Glad I could help! I didn't see any products out there that did what I wanted, and I like to keep the weight down lower if I can help it. You can fit a pretty large padlock through there as well, which beats the TSA sized lock hole in other products. Makes me feel better leaving stuff in the bed.

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

instead of the bolts on them, and needing a socket or something to remove them. have you thought about a big wingnut? dont know if they make them that size, but i know i have wingnuts on the bolts for my hil-lift mount. just an idea to maybe make it easier/quicker to remove when needed. awesome idea though!

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

instead of the bolts on them, and needing a socket or something to remove them. have you thought about a big wingnut? dont know if they make them that size, but i know i have wingnuts on the bolts for my hil-lift mount. just an idea to maybe make it easier/quicker to remove when needed. awesome idea though!

He did say this...

"Notes:
- I couldn't find any wing nuts that large, but I don't think they would work due to where the hole is at on the Maxtrax. I think the wings would hit the contours and not tighten down."

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

He did say this...

"Notes:
- I couldn't find any wing nuts that large, but I don't think they would work due to where the hole is at on the Maxtrax. I think the wings would hit the contours and not tighten down."

Haha somehow I must have skipped that part -_- disregard then lol

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

Haha somehow I must have skipped that part -_- disregard then lol
I used wing nuts on my hi-lift, but the carriage bolts are a size smaller (1/2" I think) and the square part of the bolt doesn't fit tightly in the bed rail track. I would bump up to the 5/8", but the bolt stud won't fit through the holes in the jack. I also looked for knobs that would fit over the nut, but I couldn't find any for the 5/8" carriage bolt.

Reactions: DuncNasty08

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

I used 3/8” SS grade 8 bolts which allowed me to use wing nuts. I had regular bolts, but had a guy in a Heep last year that needed them, and it was a pita to remove them with a standard nut on them....... Great job though!

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I was at the hardware store yesterday trying to figure out a way to mount my traction boards in the bed of my Tacoma. I have the factory tonneau cover so I was looking to mount them on the side rails as opposed to the front. Had everything all picked out except couldn't find big enough wing nuts.

My new plan is to order the t-slot nuts off amazon, screw in some 3/8" all thread, add an assortment of nuts and washers to hold everything in place snug to the wheel hub then cap it off with some wing nuts.

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

I was at the hardware store yesterday trying to figure out a way to mount my traction boards in the bed of my Tacoma. I have the factory tonneau cover so I was looking to mount them on the side rails as opposed to the front. Had everything all picked out except couldn't find big enough wing nuts.

My new plan is to order the t-slot nuts off amazon, screw in some 3/8" all thread, add an assortment of nuts and washers to hold everything in place snug to the wheel hub then cap it off with some wing nuts.
I have my hi-lift on one of the side rails and it fits nicely over the wheel well, but how are your traction boards going to fit over them and under the tonneau cover? Also, the t-slot nuts work great, I use them for some bicycle fork mount brackets. I use these:

Amazon description (couldn't get the hyperlink to work).
1018 Steel T-Slot Nut, Black Oxide Finish, Grade 5, Tapped Through, 3/8"-16 Threads, 5/8" Height, 9/16" Slot Depth, Made in US (Pack of 5)

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

I used 3/8” SS grade 8 bolts which allowed me to use wing nuts. I had regular bolts, but had a guy in a Heep last year that needed them, and it was a pita to remove them with a standard nut on them....... Great job though!
How do you keep the bolts from spinning in the track when tightening them down?

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I have my hi-lift on one of the side rails and it fits nicely over the wheel well, but how are your traction boards going to fit over them and under the tonneau cover? Also, the t-slot nuts work great, I use them for some bicycle fork mount brackets. I use these:

Amazon description (couldn't get the hyperlink to work).
1018 Steel T-Slot Nut, Black Oxide Finish, Grade 5, Tapped Through, 3/8"-16 Threads, 5/8" Height, 9/16" Slot Depth, Made in US (Pack of 5)

My plan is to get some 12” all thread and screw that into the t-nuts, lock that down with a lock washer and nut, then put another nut/washer combo about 6” from the rail so the traction board will but up against the wheel well then put the wing nut on to hold them in place. So there will end up being a gap the size of the wheel well between the actual rail and the traction board.

Then maybe I could make a little box to put on top of the wheel well and mount that to the all thread with some u-bolts or something. Use the space for a little cubby of something. Or use a piece of flat metal stock as a washer against the rail, install some quick fists on that then mount a shovel/axe, or hi-lift to that over the wheel well and behind the traction boards.

My brain keeps spinning with options. Haha

Chris Radalia

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Canton, Ohio
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Radalia
Member #

I found a great plan on another forum. It involves using T-Nuts and making some brackets for a Tacoma bed. I plan to hang my shovel, axe and a few other things on the sides just above the wheel wells. Attach the Quick Fists and mount away. Still have space for my gear totes in the center. Until I figure out if I’m getting a Cap or a bed rack.

Attachments

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

My plan is to get some 12” all thread and screw that into the t-nuts, lock that down with a lock washer and nut, then put another nut/washer combo about 6” from the rail so the traction board will but up against the wheel well then put the wing nut on to hold them in place. So there will end up being a gap the size of the wheel well between the actual rail and the traction board.

Then maybe I could make a little box to put on top of the wheel well and mount that to the all thread with some u-bolts or something. Use the space for a little cubby of something. Or use a piece of flat metal stock as a washer against the rail, install some quick fists on that then mount a shovel/axe, or hi-lift to that over the wheel well and behind the traction boards.

My brain keeps spinning with options. Haha
So I did something similar for my hi-lift with 3/8" carriage bolts and had trouble keeping the nut the hi-lift sits against (the 6" nut for you) to stay put. I ended up using a lot of locktight to keep it in place. My hi-lift is about 3" away from the bed rail to leave enough room for the base plate. I can put some weight on it (I don't try to), but worry about putting too much torque on the bed rail. For you, I would worry about that more since you are going past the wheel well. Might want to try to support the bottom of the traction boards somehow to help. Food for thought.

Reactions: SPJEEP4x4

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

I found a great plan on another forum. It involves using T-Nuts and making some brackets for a Tacoma bed. I plan to hang my shovel, axe and a few other things on the sides just above the wheel wells. Attach the Quick Fists and mount away. Still have space for my gear totes in the center. Until I figure out if I’m getting a Cap or a bed rack.
I want to look into something like this for my shovel and axe, mount them in the bed vice on my roof rack. Where do you get quick fists?

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

So I did something similar for my hi-lift with 3/8" carriage bolts and had trouble keeping the nut the hi-lift sits against (the 6" nut for you) to stay put. I ended up using a lot of locktight to keep it in place. My hi-lift is about 3" away from the bed rail to leave enough room for the base plate. I can put some weight on it (I don't try to), but worry about putting too much torque on the bed rail. For you, I would worry about that more since you are going past the wheel well. Might want to try to support the bottom of the traction boards somehow to help. Food for thought.
I guess considering that, building a box to put on top of the wheel well may be the better option. That way it could double as a support.

Chris Radalia

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Canton, Ohio
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Radalia
Member #

I want to look into something like this for my shovel and axe, mount them in the bed vice on my roof rack. Where do you get quick fists?
I ordered the Quick Fists off Amazon the on Friday night so I should have them by Monday I hope. I'll post up some pictures of the progress and finished product.