Joejoe223

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Merenz
Hey all. Been looking at getting some recovery boards. I am curious if any one has experience with some of the cheaper boards. I see max trax on about every overland rig online and on tv. They run around 300 a pair. And the generic can be found for around 100. Even less. Are the max trax worth three times the price? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There's a few write ups in the gear forums about them but I have a set of the $100 Amazon specials that have been bolted to my roof rack for a couple years now. I've used them once and they didn't really improve my situation at that time but they held up well to the abuse they went through that day. In sand they seem to be the trick to get you going again most of the time but I don't ever go on the sand. I'll continue to carry them until I decide they aren't worth it, just like the hi-lift under my back seat.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

There's a ton of info on youtube. I've had the Amazon MAXSA boards. We melted them and they faded pretty bad. I will be fair in saying that we spun the tires on them. I now have maxtrax for the mounting options they had. If I was on a tight budget I'd be comfortable w/ the cheap ones.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hey all. Been looking at getting some recovery boards. I am curious if any one has experience with some of the cheaper boards. I see max trax on about every overland rig online and on tv. They run around 300 a pair. And the generic can be found for around 100. Even less. Are the max trax worth three times the price? Any input would be great. Thanks.
I'm interested in this as well. Haven't pulled the trigger on a set yet.

Reactions: Munga Brown

WayRodJKU

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

I’ve been using the x-bull (found on Amazon) for 2 years now. I have used a couple of times. They have held up well. For the money, they are great, but trying to mount these things, especially on a Smittybilt type of rack was creative at best and ridiculous at worst.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
And there are these boards too. Made in USA and I’m considering these for $50 less than Maxtrax

It may be hearsay but I’d read on another board someone say a designer that started with Maxtrax left them to start his own. They have the metal spike option as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Joejoe223

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Merenz
And there are these boards too. Made in USA and I’m considering these for $50 less than Maxtrax

It May be hearsay but I’d read on another board someone say a designer that started with Maxtrax left them to start his own. They have the metal spike option as well.
Those look pretty legit. I’ll be looking more into those for sure.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
Those look pretty legit. I’ll be looking more into those for sure.
If you find better than $250 or go ahead and get them, if you could share your thoughts on them it would be greatly appreciated.

MeliMK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orwigsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Melinda
Last Name
Killian
Member #

Kinda late to this party but I'll throw in our two cents. We have the ARB recovery boards & they've been great. Our truck is a heavy beast & we've used the crap out of them. Tons of mud & snow, no sand for us yet. Currently they stow in a bag on the roof (not ideal) but we'll make mounting brackets this summer once we have better weather to work outside.