Soap Lake, Washington, USA
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FFS
Noticed the yoke for my brand new Max Coupler was a bit bound up today. So, naturally, i took the thing apart. I looked into the instructions for reassembly, and found them to be lacking a bit in terms of finer points of detail. I had a heck of a time getting the bolt and crush washer threaded together enough (but not too tight) so that when I sufficiently tightened the lock nut underneath ,the yoke would spin smoothly, multiple attempts resulted in a overly tightened yoke that simply wouldn't spin. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for reassembling the bolt and crush washer? My final attempt at reassembly I think was basically to thread the bolt into the crush washer to finger-tight then back off about 1/8 turn, then hold the bolt head in place, and tighten only the nylon lock nut from below. The result was a really smooth turning yoke, but I have no idea if this is correct?

EphrataT4R

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Damien
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FFS
Have you contacted them at all?
I did. Response from them was fairly quick. In a nutshell, the bolt should be threaded onto the crush washer until finger tight, then dropped into tow bar along with yoke, the real trick is to tighten the nut underneath and not allow the bolt/crush washer to spin at all while getting the nut up to 100ft/lbs. Took an attempt or two, and a second set of hands to hold one breaker bar on the bolt head....but it came together just fine once I had the order or operations figured out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and JDGreens

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

Looking into purchasing one in the next day or two, for my project CVT tent trailer. Anyone else having any issues or anything positive to comment about them?

EphrataT4R

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Damien
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FFS
Looking into purchasing one in the next day or two, for my project CVT tent trailer. Anyone else having any issues or anything positive to comment about them?
I'm the OP for this thread. Mine has been flawless since I reassembled the unit "properly". Several trips of a few hundred miles a piece and it works like a champ, I don't think you'll be disappointed in this coupler.

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

That's good to hear. I've heard some mixed reviews on the max couplers. Given the 3 axis hitch options, I felt confident in moving forward with the max couplers.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A few hundred miles? For the cost of those max couplers they ought to last for several hundred thousands of miles. Long ago I considered purchasing one, did my research and stuck with my pintle hook and rotating lunette ring. It is rated for 10,000 lbs and will more than likely last longer than I shall live. Here is a really good review of what I am talking about. Myself, I don't really have all that much rattling and my lunette ring shaft is threaded into a very large nut that is welded into place on my trailer tongue.
download-1.jpg

Reactions: Jeep backroads

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

I’ve been running the original version of the Max coupler on my first two trailers with over 50,000 kilometers on it and it hasn’t failed me.. I just purchased the newest version for my next build. Excellent hitch!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've used my Max Coupler to tow a 3500# gvw off-road trailer for two years, more than 550 nights out the road, and about 35,000 miles through Maine winters, Appalachian mountain forests, swamps and bayous of the deep south, desert borderlands of West Texas and all the roads between with not a single problem.

Bought my vehicle side upgrade from the guys at Knight OffRoad Trailer in McAllen TX about six months after first getting the Max Coupler; great prices and quicker service than even the manufacturer.

I use a couple Bolt Locks to lock the coupler to the trailer and the hitch to the tow bar. You can key these locks to your vehicle's ignition key, eliminating the need for different keys for your hitch and coupler setup. I have three Bolt Cable Locks too, with 6' cables to lock my bike, gen, and canoe when needed. All five of them use my ignition key.

MaxCoupler-n-boltlock-0894-1000.jpeg

xv2-n-van_6778-900.jpg

Reactions: TerryD

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

No issues with mine either.... I haven't put PILES of miles on it but I haven't been easy on it either.