• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Seattle
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clayton
Member #

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I’m new and I’m not sure how to look for it. I apologize if this topic has been covered to death.

I have built the standard “sleeping platform and two drawers” design in the back of my f150. Does anyone have any recommendations for mattress ideas? Memory foam? A combination of foam types? Air mattress? Just a bunch of straw??

Thanks in advance

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I highly recommend several burlap bags fillled with straw... cheap, echo-friendly, and very versatile on the trail.

ok kidding... a memory foam mattress is your best bet. A cheap 8-10” mattress fromWalmart works great, that’s what I used for many years... I have seen people use IKEA mattresses, RV mattresses and many other forms of memory foam.
Let your imagination run wild and try something new. How about a hybrid Burlap bag filled with memory foam fluff :)

Reactions: Froggystyle.inc

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i did the same build as you and went with a tri-fold memory mattress...just used it again a few days ago visiting arkansas and slept great on it.

IMG_0216.JPG

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
If you are going to be in very cold climates, memory foam sometimes freezes.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The first mattress I used was made from a kind of foam (cold foam mattress). Was quite ok. Now I have inflatable Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads with the same upholstery I have in the rest of the rig. That is pure luxury in my view.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
WOW - that extra pull out shelf for your stove was a great idea!
thanks. i ended up adding that after the fact because the stove on the tailgate was very uneven and i had pots of hot food try to slide off the stove, so when i got back home i added it for a flat and level surface. definitely worth the extra work doing it.

also that memory foam mattress is worth the extra bucks. our camp trailer came with regular foam and they sucked...3-4" thick and i could lay on a penny and feel the date stamped on it.

Reactions: Froggystyle.inc

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Exped air mattress. I use this one in my RTT. MegaMat Lite 12 LXW

Many sizes to choose from. Had the “luxury” mattress with memory foam from Tepui. The Exped is much better.

Reactions: jeepers29

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Ours (previous and current) are an impermeable base, two layers of memory foam (two different hysteresis factors), and a bamboo fabric top layer. Excellent!